Neverwhere

Adasunshine

Everything in Moderation
I couldn't see an official thread on this (maybe I'm blind...) so thought I'd start one.

I just finished reading this for the second time, I first read it when I was pregnant and I couldn't quite remember if I'd read it or not so I picked it up again and of course I had read it before but I enjoyed it more the second time round!

I love the idea of a London Below and all the quirks that come with it. The unused Underground Stations was brilliant, they are all there and the way he included them in the story was a stroke of genius. I don't know why but London always holds a lot of interest for me, anything about London and I jump on it, it's a fascinating city with a lot of history and hidden secrets. I love how Neil Gaiman played on that and made it all the more interesting...

I also liked the way he gave the places in London a representative, Hammersmith, Old Bailey, Angel Islington, Earl's Court etc etc.

I also loved the Marquis de Carabas, thought he was a great character, but I think Old Bailey is my favourite.

I definately preferred the book to the TV depiction even though that did come first.

So, who was your favourite character? What part was the best part for you? Did you like the idea of London Below/New York Below etc etc? Did you prefer the book to the TV series or the other way around?

xx

Not read the book, but I did see a couple of minutes of the BBC series and was *very* put off with the 70's style stage-acting on film. Didn't generate enthusiasm for the book. :)

Oh I, Brian, please don't let the TV depiction ruin the book for you, the TV show was very, as you say, 70's style stage-acting but the book is simply wonderful, Gaiman wrote the book because he was unhappy with how the TV thing turned out and he knew he could better it, which, of course he did - very very much so.

If you like the sound of the story, forget the TV show and pick up the book, it's just wonderful.

xx

Have read the book several times now and like Ada love the idea of a London Below. Loved his depictions of the tube stations. In fact my most recent reading of it came after Ada posted that she was reading it again. :)

They all fit perfectly. Hammersmith is depicted as a smith and I really do like him. I'll have to say that Ear's Court was my favourite of the 'places'. It was all so very quirky and whimsical and surreal.

The Marquis of Carrabas was a character and a half and really very cat-like. I think if a cat assumed human form, he really would behave in this fashion.

I read the book several times before I even knew that there was a BBC series. I only saw the series this year and while I liked it, the book wins hands down. Having said that I must also give the series creadit for turning several of my colleagues who'd never read Gaiman's work before into readers of his books. They all of them went and bought the book after I'd loaned them the Neverwhere series on DVD.

I love this book, though it's not my favourite of Gaiman's works. The Marquis is definitely a standout, though I like Richard (it was Richard, wasn't it? Mental blank...) as well. I was always slightly depressed to think of a Brisbane Below. I feel it would be somewhat less than impressive....

I really enjoyed this book and am looking forward to the graphic novel they're creating for it. I'm also looking forward to the movie they're making of Coraline... but that's a bit off topic. ~ Ben

I read it after hearing so much about it here and other places. I liked the idea of it more than the actual story. Some of the things were very interesting and insightful but I found most of it to be too affected for me, like he was trying to put in the weirdest things he could think of, just to put them in. I found the main character to be so one-dimensional that he disappears completely compared to the overly outrageous side characters.

I didn't hate it but I wouldn't read it again either.

I love this book, first read it years ago when it was first published, then looked for the TV show on VHS, haha... enjoyed both, but the book is miles better.

I liked it a lot. A clever idea, and good characters. The two assasins are great, they rank up there with the great fictional villians.

just in case anyone is interested, the DVD is available from mid-april

I quite enjoyed the TV programme - and the book even more - because the idea of a strange, parallel world which some people can slip into and out of always appeals to me.

A different take on a kind of parallel London is Christopher Fowler's Roofworld - although it's a bit darker, as it includes some elements of horror (although not so much as in his later work).

I read this quite recently - my second Gaiman, and it's an enjoyable little book. Nothing amazing mind you, I preferred American Gods by a long way.

I absolutely loved this book. I've read all of his other novels and by far think it is his best. I really hope they decide to make a better movie one of these days than the bbc one.

I just got the graphic novel a couple of weeks ago and it's wonderful. Great artwork and they got all the important things in the book down. I like the way most of the characters were drawn. It follows the book pretty closely. The artwork is very lush with vibrant colours and lots of detail.

There's a Graphic Novel? *is very envious of Nesa* :D

*goes to look it up on Amazon*

Thanks Nesa!!!

xx

I didn't know there was a graphic novel either. Haven't seen the TV show.

This was my second Gaiman (first was Coraline), and I liked it quite a bit. Very entertaining, with some memorable characters, especially the two bad guys (Mr. Croup and Mr. Vandemar) and the marquis de Carabas. The one I actually liked the least was Richard Mayhew. I thought he was a blander Arthur Dent. Not that he was unlikable, but the fact that he seemed so derivative bothered me a bit.

Overall, I think it was pretty good though, even if I really couldn't find many layers below the surface. The narrative flows very well in a fast pace, and Gaiman's prose is quite to my liking too. I think he introduces all the quirky elements out of habit. It's just who he is as a writer. It's the imaginary world that lives in his head, and I bet he can't do anything about it.

When I went to London, I took a picture of every sign that had a name from Neverwhere on it. Islington, Seven Sisters, Hammersmith, Blackfriars...you get the idea.

I'm gonna have to find that graphic novel now.

I have a love for the underground / lost civilizations type stories, and I remember enjoying this book at the time, but not much of it has stuck with me. My girlfriend is reading Stardust. I wouldn't be opposed to reading another Gaiman story.

I'm reading this at the mo and love it! Not read any of his stuff before but might see what else of his I want to read after. I went out and bought the Neverwhere DVD too. :D The book's better than the TV show, so much funnier!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Werthead Neil Gaiman 1
R Neil Gaiman 0
R Neil Gaiman 3