Lovecraftian Cinema

Can we include TV shows within the remit of this thread?

In 1999 the BBC made a never broadcast Pilot for an intended series set firmly in the Lovecraftian mythology, Rough Magik. It even had Paul Darrow!

Rough Magik is about The Night Scholars, a clandestine organization setup to monitor the ancient cult of Cthulhu. After decades of compiling an enormous database of arcane information, they have come to a single, incontrovertible conclusion: the Sleeping God is waking.

Also, it occurs to me that Doctor Who has often used very Lovecraftian themes and influences. The Pertwee storys featuring the Silurians for example, some people go completely mad when the meet the Silurians, its something to do with primal fear being triggered, of a deep seated race/genetic memory/fear of early man, or its primate ancestors being hunted by the Silurians, that feels fairly Lovecraftian to me, with a good dose of Quatermass of course :D

And of course, we have the Great Old Ones, from various Who stories. Who were unimaginably ancient creatures that were preserved in humanity's race memory as their worst nightmares. They were conceived as creatures that spread evil, chaos and destruction wherever they went. And they name checked the odd Lovecraftian Elder God or 2. :D

The Great Old Ones in Who included:
Azathoth, Hastur the Unspeakable, Magog, Yog-Sothoth, Nah, Raag, Rok, The Animus, Cthulhu, Dagon, Nyarlathotep, Shub-Niggurath, Yog-Sothoth, Gog, Valdemar.

I just watched The Last Lovecraft: The Relic of Cthulhu (2011)

Not bad for an independant flick, low-budget and short, but entertaining.

Anyone else see it?

"The Whisperer in Darkness" is worth checking out, by the same people who did Call of Cthulhu (2005). Also, I quite enjoyed "Colour from the Dark" (2008), but don't expect great effects

The most recent remake of the Dunwich Horror, with Dean Stockwell and Jeffrey Combs, I thought was just about OK (and I'll watch, and usually enjoy, anything Lovecraft).
If you want to see something putrid (and not in a good way), then try "In Search of Lovecraft". I didn't make it all they way through.

I can't post links to IMDb I've just found out, as this is only my 2nd post.

In Italy in 2005 Il mistero di Lovecraft - Road to L was made. I hadn't seen the film yet, but they told me it'quite good. The plot draws inspiration from rumor attending to which Lovecraft wrote The shadow over Innsmouth after visiting Po Delta (and particularly Loreo village, 40 minutes far from my hom :D) ... OF COURSE I believe in these rumors ;)

I've just watched 'Dagon'. Its great imo... really ropey acting and effects, but it still made me jump and giggle, like a good horror should

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Prometheus in this thread. I think the themes are pretty relevant especially the idea of discovering where we came from and finding something that is terrifying and beyond our comprehension.

I even read an article about Guillermo del Toro having to abandon his plans to make a film of 'At the Mountains of Madness' after hearing about Prometheus. I can't link to the article because I'm new to this forum but it's on the Entertainment Weekly website.

On April 30, del Toro posted a message on his official website stating that he believed Prometheus was going to echo the “creation aspects” of At the Mountains of Madness. The director wrote that, if he was proven correct, Scott’s film would “probably mark a long pause—if not the demise—of ATMOM.”

AM1200

A short film with Lovecraftian aspects, and it's an utter masterpiece. Got it pointed out to me by Mike from Lovecraft eZine and he was right, it is simply stunning.

And don't fall for the net-hype; it is still available direct from David Prior on region free DVD DreamLogic Pictures Presents AM1200

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Prometheus in this thread. I think the themes are pretty relevant especially the idea of discovering where we came from and finding something that is terrifying and beyond our comprehension.

I even read an article about Guillermo del Toro having to abandon his plans to make a film of 'At the Mountains of Madness' after hearing about Prometheus. I can't link to the article because I'm new to this forum but it's on the Entertainment Weekly website.

On April 30, del Toro posted a message on his official website stating that he believed Prometheus was going to echo the “creation aspects” of At the Mountains of Madness. The director wrote that, if he was proven correct, Scott’s film would “probably mark a long pause—if not the demise—of ATMOM.”

There are definitely some Lovecraftain overtones to Prometheus.

Quatermass and The Pit 1967 . I always thought this film was influenced by Lovecraft.

THE MOUTH OF MADNESS 1994 . My favorite film by John Carpenter and definitely Lovecraftian.:)

Whisperer is in black and white, and it tries. Could have been creepier... and a bit weirder... but it held my attention.

How does HPL's name show up in the credits? Based on his works? Would he have approved, I wonder? (Haven't watched it but checked out some pics online. Not sure what to think.)

No. And, no. I mean his name is there... and cheesy references are there, but - No, don't. It's the Case of Charles Dexter Fastforward.

One called Color From Space, supposedly based on The Color Out of Space... and there is a well in it... and weird vegetables, but it seemed to turn into a typical gore fest lite and I lost interest halfway through.

Incidentally, there is a short on youTube called "Hell No - the sensible horror film' - that's worth a gander. I chortled.