Happy Birthday America!

dustinzgirl

Mod of Awesome
Yay its the 4th of July!

We are having a bar b q and then setting off some fireworks that we are probably not supposed to have, ha ha ha.

OK, true story.

About 25 years ago, my father was traveling on July 4th in Africa with an associate on British Airways. Since it was the 4th, my father's friend (without thinking) loudly asks the Flight Attendant "Since it's July 4th, how about a free round of drinks for the Americans?"
The Flight Attendant quietly replies "Not bloody likely."

I don't know if this is really the best forum to bring up America's Independence to a primarily English audience.

That being said, i'm off in half an hour for a cook out at a friend's with a load of fireworks (legal in Oregon as long as they don't fly).

We live in one of the few towns in this area that still allows people to set off their own fireworks (although only the approved "safe and sane" brands). That means that a lot of people from other communities come over here to celebrate. Between all the people using the legal stuff and the folks setting off the occasional illegal firework, it can get pretty wild after dark.

(It's not even dusk yet as I write this, but there's already a fairly steady barrage of firecrackers. Fortunately, our dogs are quite casual about that part. It's the louder explosions at night that make them a little edgy.)

I do love the fountains and the rockets, though. In spite of the fact that my own lifetime encompasses approximately a quarter of those 200+ years, I'm still a child at heart when it comes to these lovely showers of colored fire.

Teresa Edgerton said:
I do love the fountains and the rockets, though. In spite of the fact that my own lifetime encompasses approximately a quarter of those 200+ years, I'm still a child at heart when it comes to these lovely showers of colored fire.

Teresa -- no flattery intended here, but I think you're much younger -- at least, as you say, at heart -- than that. It's a privilege and a joy to correspond with you.

Fireworks are illegal here in St. Louis, but you can drive 20 minutes to the outer suburbs and get whatever you want. The police in my neighborhood turn their heads to setting off fireworks illegally so long as you only do it on the 4th. We set off a couple of supercool fireworks on Sunday night and consequently got a visit from the law. Right now my neighborhood is blowing up like crazy. Here's to hoping that everyone sticks to the fireworks and leaves the guns inside (I live in a really bad neighborhhod.)

Well, the fireworks have been going off here since about 5 p.m. A fair amount of booming, combined with thunder from the local and rather large storm that's moved in.

On the subject of big booms, growing up, the neighbor across the street had a small cannon (I kid you not), which he'd set off on the 4th and on New Year's Eve -- no shot, but plenty of powder! Darn near made me jump out of my skin every time....

It's just past 8 p.m. here now, and so I expect to start hearing the "bombs bursting in air" any time now. I've already heard a few. Here in town, they're legal from 8 p.m. to 12 midnight on the 4th. I also just saw the police helicopter fly over, so I'm thinking they're starting to watch for the non-legal (flying) fireworks now, as well.

Tau Zero said:
I don't know if this is really the best forum to bring up America's Independence to a primarily English audience.
On the other hand, this being a well read, thinking group, I suspect they know who fought beside them in the two world wars and countless other battles. With everything that's happened since the 1770's the loss of the American colonies amounts to little more than ahaving their feather's ruffled.

I'll get drunk on English Holidays too! LOL

Actually, I way over drank last night. I hardly ever drink more than a good glass of wine in the evening. We went to my sister in laws and had a pretty big family and friend party. I drank 3 glasses of pinapple juice and spiced rum, two glasses of rum and coke. by glass, I mean big beer glasses. LOL. Then we walked home at about 1 am...they only live two blocks away. This morning I walked to the store (1 mile away) for muffins and chocolate milk like I always do, and OMG! I should have just stayed in bed. Actually, I am pretty sure I am still drunk. Ha!

dustinzgirl said:
I'll get drunk on English Holidays too! LOL

Actually, I way over drank last night. I hardly ever drink more than a good glass of wine in the evening. We went to my sister in laws and had a pretty big family and friend party. I drank 3 glasses of pinapple juice and spiced rum, two glasses of rum and coke. by glass, I mean big beer glasses. LOL. Then we walked home at about 1 am...they only live two blocks away. This morning I walked to the store (1 mile away) for muffins and chocolate milk like I always do, and OMG! I should have just stayed in bed. Actually, I am pretty sure I am still drunk. Ha!

Hung over from 5 drinks? Lightweight!:)

YOSSARIAN said:
Hung over from 5 drinks? Lightweight!:)

I am so a lightwieght. It is very, very sad. And my husband says I am a dork when I am drunk...:eek:. The last time I drank real alcohol was Christmas.

Well, I wandered around LA wearing my England cricket top to stick a finger up at our dear US-ian friends, but because no one has ever heard of cricket, none of them realised. Bwahaha...

Rane Longfox said:
Well, I wandered around LA wearing my England cricket top to stick a finger up at our dear US-ian friends, but because no one has ever heard of cricket, none of them realised. Bwahaha...
Oh, we know about the game. We just figured what with the recent problems in football, to give you a hassle simply wasn't ... er, cricket