Lord of the Rings V.S. Darkweaver series

Oh yes, I think it's quite safe to say that...mind you, I think it was increased by the fact that I actually got to meet and work with you. That was a brilliant experience, those three days were my last three days at school and it was a fantastic end to seven glorious years.
x

So my charm and magnetic personality did it again ... to say nothing of my wit, my dashing good looks and the huge bribes I handed out when no one was looking! :D

Heh, definitely the personality...the bribes were just a nice extra.
Authors are modest people, aren't they? Hehehehe.
x

Hey mark, do you ever sit down and read one of your own books? (in a non proofreading sort of way) I guess there's no mystery or suspense when you're the one who's written and re-written, imagined and put together the plot yourself.
Just wondering if a writer can sit down and experience what a new reader would feel in their own books.

I prefer Darkweaver Series Legacies they just seem a lot etter and don't take a year to read just one of them!

I don't know why, but Lord of the Rings doesn't grasp me on to itself as much as the Darkweaver series. I just finished First Sword (it's my favourite book) for the fourth time!

Mark doesn't describe everything in great detail, but he leaves a lot to the imagination. It does mean that I have to read his books more attentively so i don't miss out on any descriptions, but it does mean he can fit more action in :)

Difficult books to follow tend to be the ones where everything is described in great detail (a la Tolkien).

Having read all the books now, (well, ok, finished them a few days ago) I have found my favourite bit. I don't know why, I just know that I just loved it when I read it. It's only about a sentence long in fact. It's the part when Calvyn is fighting the demons in the...laasst (?) book and he does the fireball spell and the demon's head explodes in a big rush of flames!
I don't know why.
I'm just a ghoul at heart. Stephen King has been my favourite author for many a year now, which may explain it.
Anyway, just thought I'd share that!
Hoopily Froody.
x

I have owned The LOTR Trilogy for 5 years and though I love reading and always have a book on the go, I have tried many times I have not managed to get past the first hundred pages before giving up and picking up a lighter read.
Having never heard of Mark Robson until three weeks ago, when I bought Imperial Spy, I finally got round to reading it at the weekend and I wouldn't have put it down apart from the need to eat and sleep.
I found this site trying to find the Titles of the other books, having seen some of the comments posted, it looks like I've just found my reading material for the next few months.

It's always nice to get feedback like this, Elisheba. I hope you enjoy The Darkweaver Legacy every bit as much as the Imperial Series.

Welcome to Chronicles. This is a great site for getting an idea of what's around in the SFF world for you to enjoy. There are also a few more 'in residence' authors. You might like to take a look at Teresa Edgerton/Madeline Howard's work, which I've very much enjoyed reading. Also, Freda Warrington is a great British fantasy writer who's work is definitely under publicised.

Have fun. :)

Aw, that's lovely, thankyou for the welcome. I have just ordered all four Darkweavers. Hopefully I can stretch them out until Imperial Assassin arrives.

Sorry, it was a rather random comment, but I just thought I'd share my favourite part. Ok...serious face...Well, LOTR will always have a special place as one of those legendary books that must be read...even if Tolkien is a tiny bit verbose in some places. It is a epic novel (epic in size as well!) and I truly enjoyed reading it. Saying such, I don't believe many books can compete with it...
However, having read all of Mr Robson's Darkweaver novels, I have to say that I did very much enjoy them. There's something rather...refined about LOTR, so that you can't really identify with the characters, especially the more enthralling ones like Aragorn and Gandalf or Elrond, which is something that is nicely done in DW...to the point that you are terrified for the characters because you don't want any of them to die!
Anyway, there we go, Ive actually managed to make a comment that was in line with the topic of the thread...shocking! This is an achievement for me.
Hoopily x

Joel007 said:
Hey mark, do you ever sit down and read one of your own books? (in a non proofreading sort of way) I guess there's no mystery or suspense when you're the one who's written and re-written, imagined and put together the plot yourself.
Just wondering if a writer can sit down and experience what a new reader would feel in their own books.

Sorry, Joel. I missed this question for some time. To answer - no, I don't really get the chance now. The first of the final read-throughs is sort of like reading it for the story, but it is very hard to switch out of proof reading mode. I did manage it with Forging and Trail, but since then I've just not had the time. I may go back at some point to do this, but probably not for the next couple of years.