Lord of the Rings V.S. Darkweaver series

danny

ALL OF A SUDDEN, I DIE!
What do people like better, Lord of the Rings (Film or Book) or the Darkweaver Series?

Say which one you like better.

Personally, I like Darkweaver Series better than the book and the film put together!

Is the Darkweaver series that good lads? I have bought some of his books but have not got around to reading them. Although I have heard good things about the books, I have also heard that Mark has an attitude problem and ignores his fans.

What do you think boys?

Definitely. Never saw him reply to a single person on these forums, and there's some big fans of his here....:p

He's going to become really insufferable now that his fans are elevating him above Tolkien.

Although come to think of it, Professor Tolkien has been pretty lax about responding to his fan mail the last thirty-three years or so. (I suppose a little fame goes to anyone's head eventually.)

Teresa Edgerton said:
He's going to become really insufferable now that his fans are elevating him above Tolkien.

Although come to think of it, Professor Tolkien has been pretty lax about responding to his fan mail the last thirty-three years or so. (I suppose a little fame goes to anyone's head eventually.)
Wicked sense of humor you've got there, Teresa.

And you think that's an excuse for not answering his fan mail? (For three decades!!!!) I'm afraid that you're losing your edge, Lace. There was a time when you would never have accepted such a lame and unconvincing explanation.

(Do you think that a little thing like being dead would slow Mark down? Of course not! I'm willing to bet that he'll still be doing book signings and winning over new readers long after his demise.)

Last edited:
LOL! I love this thread already! To be perfectly honest, though, I don't think there is any comparison between my work and that of the late, great Tolkien. Most modern fantasy owes JRR in one way or another, and my work is no exception there.

I'd like to think that one day I might write something that would seriously compare, but for the moment I am just happy that my stories are being well received. To compare them with such a masterwork as LOTR, much as I appreciate the sentiments of my more avid fans, would be construed by most serious fantasy readers as laughable.

What I can appreciate is how younger readers might prefer my style of writing to that of my greatest hero of fantasy - you don't really have to think to read my stuff. I write with the goal of sweeping my readers along on a wave of action and adventure that will keep them wanting to read to the end. It's light, it's easy to read and it's fun. To appreciate the depth and complexities of Tolkien's writing requires a more mature taste for the written form. For my part, I'm obviously glad that I win such avid support, even if I find it mildly embarrassing when young people prefer my work to those of my heroes in fantasy writing.

Good on you, Danny and Charles for your support. I'll be interested to see how long your preference remains. :)

Edit: As for ignoring my fans ... I think Teresa is heading along the right lines there! I refer you to a recent fan mail letter to Mr Roald Dahl (which I'm sorry to hear that he did the disservice of not answering as well). I'm told it started:

Dear Mr Dahl, I was most sorry to hear that you had died. I like your work very much. Have you any plans for more books like the BFG? ...

You won't catch me ignoring such avid fan mail with such a shocking display of neglect!

You know, Mark, that puts me in mind of a story Vonnegut told (in Wampeters, Foma and Granfallons, as I recall), about his favorite piece of fan mail, from a young reader (in his teens, I think), which said, simply, "Dear Mr. Vonnegut: Please don't commit suicide." Perhaps only Vonnegut could truly appreciate both the touching and humorous aspects of that enough to bring it into his own writing.....

j. d. worthington said:
You know, Mark, that puts me in mind of a story Vonnegut told (in Wampeters, Foma and Granfallons, as I recall), about his favorite piece of fan mail, from a young reader (in his teens, I think), which said, simply, "Dear Mr. Vonnegut: Please don't commit suicide." Perhaps only Vonnegut could truly appreciate both the touching and humorous aspects of that enough to bring it into his own writing.....

LOL! Yes, I can see how that would be a fan letter worth framing and putting on the wall. I've had a few amusing ones myself, but nothing quite like that yet. One thing I have found is that every piece of feedback I've received from fans has touched me on one level, or another. Whilst I smiled when I first read this thread to think that someone enjoyed my work more than that of my greatest hero in writing, it is also inspiring to think that I've reached someone at a level which has clearly made a big impression on their reading tastes. If anything inspires me to keep working on my writing it is little things like this.

you guys stop dissrespecting, mark, he has enough on his hands, writing, organsigning siging events, going to signing events, meatings with the publishers, family life, AND posting on this board, i have had sevreal personal messages from mark which shows he does care about the fans so i really anoyed all you people. YOU TRY PUBLSING A BOOK AND SEE HOW HARD IT IS!

Writing a book and getting it published ... I'll have to try that some time.

Meanwhile, I don't think Mark considers himself above a little friendly teasing. In fact, I'm sure he doesn't, which is one of the many reasons why we all like him so much.

Charles, I'm very flattered to have champions like you and Danny. Teresa is right, however, all was said in fun. I've known the people here long enough to warrant a bit of teasing every now and then. I'd get worried if they didn't feel able to pull my leg over something like this. I know this thread was started with the best of intentions, but it did rather lend itself to some gentle banter. I would expect no less. Thank you for coming to my defense, though. It was very noble of you. :)

Put it this way, Mark - with the possible exception of Terry Pratchett (who's so laid-back he's horizontal), I've never met an author who's as into his work as you; I met you briefly at a book signing in WHS in the Mall, Bristol, did my usual centre-page scan and bought two books then and there as a result. Now, having read, and enjoyed those books, imagine the ear-bending some poor little waif of a till-girl got when I went back a fortnight later to buy more, only to discover they didn't stock them? Aaaaah! Still, from the posts I've seen, it looks like you're finally getting the recognition you deserve.

Keep up the good work!

Trig

Thanks, Trigger.

I think you must have spoken to the wrong till girl, though. WH Smith, Cribbs Causeway, definitely have my books in stock. They live in the young adult section, though if by chance they have sold out of certain titles, I happen to know that the Waterstones store just a little further down the Mall also stock them. Have you managed to get hold of them now?

:D We All Are The Champions, Especially Mark!!!!!:D
:D And He Will Keep On Writing, Till The End!!!:D

well i have never read Lord of the rings but i know for a fact that the books must be so amazing to be able to cut out half a book and still be left with a film 9 hours long and still as amazing as that.

though on the other hand the atmosphere in the darkweaver is much much lighter.i mean sure it has its dark pages but dont all books?i dont think you can compare them really, (no offense meant mark) but it is a much older range of people reading the lord of the rings.

THey are just different styles of writing its impossible to compare. They are similar but no where near the same.