Terry Goodkind Wizard Rules

nancydeee

Hey... the new and LAST Sword of truth novel comes out in August as you may already know, in preparation I was rereading the whole series, but I find that I have forgotten what the Wizard's rules are... I can remember a couple of them, but I am wondering if anyone remembers them all.

One is something like People will believe a lie if they fear it could be true
Another is passion rules reason
Another is something like bad things come from good intentions

but I just can't remember them exactly or what they are.. thanks for your help

I saw this on his forums:
1. People are stupid
2. Greatest harm can come from the best of intentions
3. Passion rules reason
4. Magic in forgiveness
5. Mind what people do - deeds betray a lie
6. The only sovereign to rule you is a reason
7. Life is the future not the past
8. Deserve Victory
9. There are no contradictions in reality

That last one is an unashamed direct quote from Ayn Rand. I wonder if he thought he was being intelligent when he incorporated these rules in to his fantasy series, but not one of these IMO is even slightly insightful, and they seem to have none of the philosophical basis that you might find in Bakker's ideas.

See rule #9, fool. There are no contradictions, just the noble human spirit. You're clearly too young to be reading Terry's books.

That's not really fair - he might just be too stupid to understand what Terry's saying. :rolleyes:

Actually I think the first rule may have some merit - Goodkind's a bestseller after all which seems to prove his own rule. No matter how much he antagonises his fans, they keep on buying his books. He even lets out sample chapters that demonstrate how utterly terrible his writing is, yet he remains a bestselling fantasy author.

Rule 7 - perhaps Goodkind didn't enjoy history when he was at school. I personally prefer Bakker's take: "To know what comes after you must know what comes before".

I wonder what the next rule will be? Anyone who stands in your way is evil, and therefore must die. Or anyone who doesn't fight evil is your enemy; show them no mercy. I could see something like that coming from Goodkind.

Zadok said:
See rule #9, fool. There are no contradictions, just the noble human spirit. You're clearly too young to be reading Terry's books.

Replace "young" with "intelligent" and you're on to something... :)

EDIT: Actually as I'm 29, being called young is pretty nice. Thanks.

I'm not too young to read them. But I've been told that I'm definltely not smart enough. :)

brys, hehehe :) that's funny :)
and yeah, he can't have liked history! life is actually the present, in my mind. you can't worry about the future, it will happen on its own and not be what you expect. adn you should have respefct for the past, because it made us who we are. that's one of my rules at least. not my novel rule, or anything. i don't have rules in that. just my general faerie rule :)

Brys said:
I wonder what the next rule will be? Anyone who stands in your way is evil, and therefore must die. Or anyone who doesn't fight evil is your enemy; show them no mercy. I could see something like that coming from Goodkind.

And if evil is an 8-year old child, you must kick it in the teeth. :confused:

rule #10 is if a chicken-thing cackles a slow chicken laugh cover your eyes

Or perhaps "Beware the chicken that is not a chicken". The evil chicken scene is one of the best comedy scenes ever written. It's comic genius, from start to finish - it's very hard to believe Goodkind was serious when he wrote it.

Her power, her magic, was also a weapon of defense. But it would only work on people. It would not work on a chicken. And it would not work on wickedness incarnate.
Her gaze flicked toward the door, checking the distance. The chicken took a single hop toward her. Claws gripping Juni's upper arm, it leaned her way. Her leg muscles tightened till they trembled.
The chicken backed up a step, tensed, and spurted feces onto Juni's face.
rofl2.gif

It let out the cackle that sounded like a laugh.
She dearly wished she could tell herself she was being silly. Imagining things.
But she knew better.
<snip>
Kahlan frantically tried to think as the chicken bawk-bawk-bawked.
<snip>
"Mother," the chicken croaked.
Kahlan flinched with a cry.
<snip>
[Kahlan knocks over a candle by mistake, plunging the barn into darkness]
In the dark, the chicken thing let out a low chicken cackle laugh.
It hadn't come from whre she expected the chicken to be. It was behind her.

For the rest, check out here, Quote #95

Yes. From Soul of the Fire, I believe. And I don't think it's suppposed to be comedy.