What book am I thinking of?

nullspace

I read a book when I was a child that had big emotional impact on me. I'd like to read it as an adult. Here's what I remember:

- It was written by a female author who also did the cover art herself.
- I seem to remember the hero having red hair.
- I remember something about the hero being in great pain, and another character could "feel" the hero was in need over a great distance. I think at the time he might have been in a tower, but I'm not sure.

I'm hoping the first thing will narrow the list significantly. It would mean a lot to me to find this book and read it again, but I know that's not much information to go on.

Sorry, nullspace. Can't help you. However, I'm willing to bet that there is someone around here who can. We've got a lot of very well and widely-read folks hanging out here.

But, even though I can't help you out on this, let me welcome you to Chronicles. It's always nice to see another Californian stop by and join us in the insanity.:D

Neither can I; but I know someone here (in Austin) that may be able to answer the question. If I find out anything, I'll let you know. Meanwhile, as Little Miss said, welcome to the forums, one of the rare oases of sanity in an increasingly (what) mad universe. (Pardon the Fredric Brown reference....)

Well the obvious call on the female author who does her own covers is Janny Wurts... wander over to her website and see if they ring a bell.

Amazing. I've been wondering about this for years, and in minutes you've given me an answer. I recognize the cover - The Master of Whitestorm. Thank you so much! I'm going to order a copy right away. Really, I can't thank you enough. I'm so excited to see if a book I loved as a child will still resonate with me today.

Even stranger is this: Amazon says the book is being reprinted for release next week. It's funny that I would finally rediscover it now.

I'm so excited to see if a book I loved as a child will still resonate with me today.
Best of luck with that, it's not too often that it successfully happens :)

nullspace said:
Amazing. I've been wondering about this for years, and in minutes you've given me an answer. I recognize the cover - The Master of Whitestorm. Thank you so much! I'm going to order a copy right away. Really, I can't thank you enough. I'm so excited to see if a book I loved as a child will still resonate with me today.
Yes Master of Whitestorm is quite good but you should check out Janny's current Wars of Light and Shadow mulit-volume EPIC, her earlier Cycle of Fire trilogy or stand alone Sorcerer's Legacy. Also there's the recent stand alone novel To Ride Hell's Chasm.

nullspace said:
I read a book when I was a child that had big emotional impact on me. I'd like to read it as an adult.
I can't help you with this book, but that's a good thing. Never go back to the stuff you loved when you were a child, you'll get more often than not disappointed. Or maybe that's just me...

Marky Lazer said:
I can't help you with this book, but that's a good thing. Never go back to the stuff you loved when you were a child, you'll get more often than not disappointed. Or maybe that's just me...
It's just you, Marky.*nasty grin*

While that's often the case, I've found that books by truly good writers hold up very well indeed; I've had several cases of that recently, and I went into each with more than a little trepidation -- and came out feeling like a million bucks.

Well, I still have a tons of book on my To Read list, anyway, so I won't be too bothered for a while with books I read already. On a sidenote, I'm not in the same genre as a few years ago anyway. (Did you see how well I hid a sneer where I'm mentioning 'a few years ago' so you're feeling old and all?)

Nope. Slipped right past me. Guess I must just be getting senile and unobservant in my old age.....:p

Nullspace - glad to help. I had a hunch it might be that series but I have only read the Light and Shadow books. Janny is a lovely lady - I had the pleasure of working with her on Elemental, the new anthology I have out with Tor. She's very approachable so if you do recapture that feeling, let her know. I am sure it will tickle her.

Looks as if I have another book to put on my 'to get' list...I really enjoyed her Circle of Fire Trilogy, which are another of those 'to read again' books.

Back