Graphic Novel Title- Help Needed

Canoodle

I'm trying to remember the name of a graphic novel I had when I was a kid in the mid- 80s. It was a sci-fi outer space adventure that was fairly dark, but not quite on par with Heavy Metal. From the research I have been doing simular titles are Star Slammers and Star Raiders but the drawings in these do not match what I remember. I would have bought this graphic novel in 1982-84 in Canada. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Might it have been the "Cody Starbuck" by Howard V. Chaykin, done into book form? These were originally serialized in Star*Reach and, I think, later collected together into a graphic novel. The mention of Heavy Metal also calls to mind Druillet's adaptation of Salammbo to a science-fictional format; and both would have been around this time. Howard Chaykin's work is almost minimalist, whilst Druillet's is extremely detailed (some feel too much so); so if it's one of these, knowing whether the art was simple or almost cluttered with (as Moorcock says) "exotic buttons and bows" might help you to decide which one.

Thanks very much for the help. The second image down on the right on this website is very much what I remember. I guess I'll buy the whole Lone Sloane series and hopefully one of them will be the graphic novel I used to have.

coolfrenchcomics.com/lonesloane

(this site won't let me post complete urls)

The artwork was very detailed and in color.

There was one scene I remember quite vividly in which the hero rode on the back of a very large dragonfly in amongst many other large dragonflies also being flown by pilots. They were performing an aerial bombardment of a castle like city on some bizarre planet. There were dirigibles that carried the commanders of the attacking force and the bombs they were dropping looked like a pink crystal balls.

In another perhaps unrelated scene the hero infiltrated the city by swimming up the cities sewers.

Thanks again for your help.