Another Please ID This Book Plea

Snowdog

Actually it's two books and possibly two series of books, though I'm not sure about that. I got them in the early 70's from the local library (in the UK), so they are probably from the 60s or early 70s. I have no recollection of titles or authors, but here's what I remember:

First book.

This was an SF story set sometime in the future. The main character was either a PI or a government operative sent off-planet (from Earth) on a mission, which partly involved the protection of the daughter of some high-ranking person on the planet he was sent to. I remember that to get there he went on a space-liner of some kind. I specifically remember a scene in a zero-gravity chamber where someone tries to kill him. His (or his would-be assassin's) weapon was a needle gun. The most significant thing I can remember (and possibly the biggest red herring) was his name, which was something like Felix Vereker. The spelling could be wrong. In fact my memory is so hazy that any of these 'facts' could be mis-remembered.

Second book.

Whereas the first book may have been part of a series, I'm almost positive that this one was part of a series. I also think it may have been aimed at the young adult market since children were often the main pov characters. The plot centred on a future where Earth was hideously overcrowded, and the population was controlled by Thought Police who could read people's minds and snuff out any subversion. The main characters were a family who had rebelled against these Thought Police. I think they must have had psi powers also. A la Logan's Run, the TP want to catch this family because of the threat they pose. I specifically remember a scene at the end of the book where one of the characters sees a green shoot pushing through the concrete (not on Earth I don't think), representing hope for the future, either suggesting a world that had been concreted over or one where most living things had been killed off somehow. This is all very vague I know. :confused:

Any help appreciated. :)

Snowdog

Snowdog

I'm so thrilled to get a reply at last, I almost hate to say that it's not Slan, which is a brilliant book and one I'm very familiar with. But it's not, worse luck.

Slan does have quite a few of the elements I described though.

Thanks for the reply :)

Oh, and welcome to Chronicles!