Angels and demons

I've read A&D, the DVC, and the delta deception. Angels & Demons was the best of the three, but I consider them as easy reads between 'good' books. Of course the books are thrilling, but after reading A&D and the DVC I could predict who was 'the bad guy' in the Delta Deception. The books are bound together with too many tricks. Those tricks work well if you read one or two books, but it started to get annoying when reading the third...

I thought the film was okay, despite Tom Hanks (he's just not Robert Langdon...). Audrey Tatou was great (everyone: go and see "Amélie"!!), also the guy who played Silas made an impression on me (must have been the shocking self-torturing scene).

Kettricken said:
I've read A&D, the DVC, and the delta deception. Angels & Demons was the best of the three, but I consider them as easy reads between 'good' books.

Yep, I agree. Interesting, definitely... but not a challenge at all. Try Perdido Street Station by Mieville if you want a challenge. Just TRY to get those images out of your head.

I thought "the Da Vinci Code" was an entertaining book, but doesn't hold up well against other books I consider good. I thought the plot was too "out there," and everything fit together too neatly in the end, so there really weren't any elements of surprise. Fortuneately I borrowed the book from a friend, because I don't think it's a book I would read over and over again, so I'm glad I didn't waste $8 on it.

I really enjoyed Angels and Demons. I read it after The Da Vinci Code and will certainly be buying soon ;) I'm no good at analysing whether a book is literaturally good or not, simply because if it is good then I get far too carried away with the story to think about whether it's good or not. And that's exactly what happened in this case. I was swept along on the adventure and taken in ~ SPOILER ~ I mean, I really thought Camerlengo was going to be a great Pope and everything. I reckon you're either suckered in, or you're far too cynical to believe the divergent tracks the author creates.
Man I even cried :eek:

The thing I love about the Da Vinci Code is that I am that close to actually believing it! :eek: Not seen the film yet though ...
Kettricken wrote;
the guy who played Silas made an impression on me (must have been the shocking self-torturing scene).
That'll be Paul Bettany (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0079273/)

Kettricken said:
(everyone: go and see "Amélie

I strongly second the recommendation. And this came before those annoying ads with the garden gnome. This is simply a wonderful film!

Isn't it Deception Point?

I loved Angels and Demons, but didn't even finish DaVinci Code mainly since I knew all the mystery and that already and figured it out less than halfway through. (even knew what they were searching for one third through).

Deception Point on the other hand was... interesting, or at least the third I read before putting it down. It started better than either DaVinci Code or A&D, but where was the mystery? And Digital Fortress, is it really worth reading? Isn't it all about the terrorists and no mystery?

As a side note, I found a book called "The Rule of Four". It was about a book called something like Hypnotarano Pholiphil or something, and was better than even A&D. Not sure who wrote it, as I gave it to my father after finishing it, and even he loved it.

everybody seems to think he has only had 3 books published he has 4 and have read them all started with the davinci code then deception point, Angels and Demons and finally Digital Fortress and enjoyed them all but I liked DVC better than A&D as I thought it had a better story to it but Digital fortress was very good and deception point started quite poor but I thought it was a real page turner before the end.

NorseDude said:
As a side note, I found a book called "The Rule of Four". It was about a book called something like Hypnotarano Pholiphil or something, and was better than even A&D. Not sure who wrote it, as I gave it to my father after finishing it, and even he loved it.

The Rule of Four was written by Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason. Good book.

I read 'The Da Vinci Code' and didn't think it was that good. I found a lot of faults with it factually which spoilt the reading for me, though it was well written, tightly paced and full of twists.

I read 'The Rule of Four' which was quite frankly awful.

I just read 'Angels and Demons'. I found it very similar to 'The Da Vinci Code' almost like a trial run. I agree that 'Angels and Demons' is better written. Also, because I don't know much about Rome or CERN I can't comment on the accuracy.

Sometimes I think Dan Brown treats his readers as being too stupid. He builds up things too high before the exposé which I often see comming pages before. For instance, I knew that CERN invented the Internet, I thought everyone did. I'm pretty sure Robert Langdon would be aware.

And 'Angels and Demons' had just one plot twist too far. It became impossible to believe for me that the events could unfold that way.

One question though, since 'Angels and Demons' is a prequel, what happened to Vittoria Vetra before 'Da Vinci'? Langdon and her seemed to be getting quite friendly at the end, then he gets a new girlfriend in 'Da Vinci'.

I've such bad reports on 'Deception Point' and 'Digital Fortress' and I doubt I'll touch them.

Dave said:
Sometimes I think Dan Brown treats his readers as being too stupid. He builds up things too high before the exposé which I often see comming pages before. For instance, I knew that CERN invented the Internet, I thought everyone did. I'm pretty sure Robert Langdon would be aware.

Wait, you mean Al Gore didn't invent the internet?

I'm in shock.

On a serious note, I didn't know that CERN existed and still don't really care. The book kept my attention and flowed pretty well. I suppose I am buried so deeply in my own professional interests that I don't notice flaws in something like this. I knew they used anti-matter on the Enterprise and that was good enough for me. See, sometimes ignornance is bliss.

CERN invented the World Wide Web, not the Internet. The Internet had been around for quite a while before the WWW. No one really "invented" the Internet per-se, but it primarially came out of ARPANET, a United States Department of Defense project that was a precursor to the modern Internet.

I read 'The Da Vinci Code' and didn't think it was that good. I found a lot of faults with it factually which spoilt the reading for me, though it was well written, tightly paced and full of twists.

I read 'The Rule of Four' which was quite frankly awful.

Well there you go. I thought The Da Vinci Code was dreadful - appalling prose, idiot plot, paper-thin characterisation, and a central premise ripped off from The Holy Blood & The Holy Grail... But I quite enjoyed The Rule of Four...

:)

I've read Digital Fortress too, and it's crap.

Having read both The Da Vinci Codes and Angels and Demons, Angels and Demons was slightly better and reading in the same week as a new pope was elected made it more interesting, but to be honest I found both books lacking in style.

I agree. Amazingly I also read it right before the white smoke raising to the sky from Vatican city.:)

agree with the notion that Angels and Demons was a much beter read than DVC.... Digital fortress and Deception point both have there merits... but overall are much poorer than the two Langdon based books imo.

I'm sure i read that his next book is based on the free masons.

Agree with however said that they should have made a film about A&D rather than DVC. I remember thinking that A&D would make a good film as i was reading it.

I have it on my to read list, but i've got a fair amount of books before I get to it.

I'm not too excited to read it, but I want to read it even more now that I am hearing mixed opinions.