Who is Wolf?

oneortwo

In the end of Polgara the Sorceress, there are quite some hints about Wolf being more then just a simple Wolf. Any one care to try and shed some light at that?

Poledra saved his life and then Ce'Nedra spoiled him a lot. He couldn't be just a simple Wolf, when he had the chance to be surrounded by the others during the travel in Malloree.

He is really a child, (i thin that he is Ce nedra's son) but all is revealed later in the books.

lyn

I think he's just a wolf.

Through the series, wolves are portrayed as human intelligent creatures (when Belgarath and Garion talk to them etc.) so I think there doesn't have to be an explanation why this pup is intelligent, too. He's just adapted a bit to the human company, been spoilt in a good way.

Belgarath and Garion can speak to wolves because they can assume that form. Poledra was born a wolf but when she found that Belgarath wasn't interested (She had learned to shape-change by watching him) she turned herself into a woman and married him. Wolf is just a wolf, although Geran is making a determined effort to turn him into a dog.

I personally find the bigger problem with Wolf is how Geran learnt to speak the language. As far as I could tell Garion and Belgarath only learn to speak wolf when in wolf form. It semmed to me that it was not something that could be taught.

nope...

garion was talking to poledra when her and wolf came into the picture..

garion also asked who was wolf and poledra replied that it was a stray she found

I was always under the impression that 'The Wolf' was Polgara's nickname for Belgarath, particularly in the book "Polgara the Sorceress'...

The Ace said:
Belgarath and Garion can speak to wolves because they can assume that form. Poledra was born a wolf but when she found that Belgarath wasn't interested (She had learned to shape-change by watching him) she turned herself into a woman and married him. Wolf is just a wolf, although Geran is making a determined effort to turn him into a dog.

Well dogs are domesticated wolfs through the ages, so maybe wolf will be the start of dogs in that world

KiwiBird said:
Well dogs are domesticated wolfs through the ages, so maybe wolf will be the start of dogs in that world

I think that sums it up, although aren't dogs mentioned previously in the books?

Ok, maybe I am stretching a bit here, but I think maybe wolf is the "purpose" that gave Garion instructions. Maybe a portion of the awareness stuck around to see how things would work out, or maybe it ia Auldur. But I don't think that he is "just" a wolf

Dogs already exist :p look at "urvon's hounds" which is basically enlarged doggies!

And if remember correctly Ce"Nedra said "Every young boy should have a dog"

I really doubt she meant a wolf :p

Ok I think Wolf is like a new follower of Aldur just not of age yet, I mean Poledra started off as a wolf and she was Aldurs follower from the begining, remember she was "the Woman that watches".

On the same note Who exactly is horse? I know hes connected to Eriond but it doesnt really mention hes purpose just that hes special cause he was brought back from death from garion.

I think Horse doesn't have an identity short of being the semi-divine horse that Eriond rides/is companion to. Perhaps his purpose is to help Eriond travel the world very quickly to keep an eye on things (although he is divine, so why he would need a horse is another matter). It was part of the Prophecy, too, I think, as the voice inside Garion's mind said Done when Horse and Eriond met for the first time. Either that or they just became such good friends that he couldn't bear to part with him.

As for who Wolf is, well, that could be a future story. As it stands, I don't see the young wolf as anything other than a normal wolf, but as you say, Poledra did start out that way...:)

Back