Help me! What was that book?

sina94

I'm trying to find this book that I borrowed from a friend a 6 or 7 years ago... but I can't remember the title or author... only a vague idea of what the plot was.

There was a crew on a spaceship, and I don't remember if they were looking for another ship that had gone missing, or if they were in fact looking for this substance that they stumbled upon... I believe it was referred to as "ghost". Not 100% positive.

But, eventually they stumble across this substance as they're travelling through space, and it has shapeshifting properties... I think they could change the shape of it at will just by concentrating on what they wanted it to become.

They decide to make something out of the substance... and they make a creature that is part giraffe and horse, and a handful of other things.

Then, for some reason, they use the substance to change their physical appearance before returning to their home planet. I think two of the crew members take on the role of mother and father to another crew member that plays their daughter.

I don't remember if it was a particularly well-written book... but it just bugs me that I can't think of what it was. As far as reading level goes... it might be young adult? I only remember a few sparse details...

Thanks, if anyone can figure it out for me. I appreciate the help.

It wasn't by any chance Piers Anthony's "Ghost" Energy starved world, lots of anti-spacer sentiment, spaceship goes looking for replacement energy and comes across a galaxy from a previous cycle of creation? (he's better with fantasy; I knocked so many holes through that oneyou couldn't even use it for straining spaghetti)