Dabel Brothers Adapt Robert Jordan's New Spring: The Novel

Ernst Dabel

Most of you know that Robert Jordan has a new "Wheel of Time" novel that is due out in bookstores in January 2004. It is called New Spring the novel, and we are happy to say that we will be adapting Robert Jordan's New Spring, the Novel into a graphic novel. You've been seeing some of our artwork on other adaptations in the George R.R. Martin, Robert Silverberg, Tad Williams, Dragonlance threads and I'm sure that you have a sense of what we are capable of. Please check out the link below to see the article in Newsarama and post your thoughts, enjoy and spread the word to any Robert Jordan fans that you know :)

http://newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7311

Here is the link with Robert Jordan's thoughts on the graphic novel adaptation, enjoy :)

http://www.dragonmount.com/news/News-2003-12.aspx

Re:

Hey, I, Brian, my friend :) Actually you have to scroll down a bit once you click on the second link, here it is:

Roaring Studios to make comics & graphic novel for NEW SPRING: The Novel.
December 17, 2003
We recevied word directly from Robert Jordan today that Roaring Studios will be producing comic books and eventally a graphic novel for NEW SPRING: the Novel. Here's what Jordan told us:
I've signed a contract with Roaring Studios to do a series of comics of NEW SPRING: the Novel. When the series is complete, it will be gathered in a graphic novel. I'm very close to settling on an artist and a writer -- I won't give any names until those guys are signed up, too -- so things should get underway very soon now. Roaring Studios has already begun George Martin's THE HEDGE KNIGHT, so maybe some of you are familiar with them. They seem to do very good work, and I am looking forward to seeing what they will do with NS.

And he was sure to add this last bit for us:
And, oh, yes, I'm hard at work on the next book.

Update:
Here's the press release that was put out on newasrama. Thanks to Bob for sending us this link:
DB Production adds adaptation of acclaimed bestselling author Robert Jordan's forthcoming ÒA New Spring" to its already impressive spring lineup.

Robert Silverberg. Tad Williams. Raymond E. Feist. George R. R. Martin. Robert Jordan.

Dabel Brothers Production (DB Pro) confirmed today that they have secured the rights to adapt New York Times Bestselling author Robert Jordan's beloved ÒWheel of Time" series into comic book / graphic novel format. The series will begin with Jordan's forthcoming novel, A New Spring, a prequel to The Eye of the World, the original starting point in the epic series.

"Robert Jordan is, without question, one of the biggest names in fantasy today," said Ernst Dabel, President and Editor-in-Chief for DB Production. "We're thrilled to have the opportunity to bring his work to life, and we know this will probably be one of the biggest series of 2004."

"The buzz around this book has already been enormous," said Sean J. Jordan, Managing Editor for DB Pro. "Earlier this week, rumors surfaced that an artist had already been signed, and some character drawings were leaked and shown all over the Internet. While I officially deny that the artist who produced those drawings has signed onto the project Ð the artwork in question was meant for internal use only Ð we are talking to some top-notch talent to work on this book. We'll offer more details when they've available, but suffice it to say that this book will probably be one of the most anticipated titles of the year once we announce who's working on it." The Wheel of Time: A New Spring (working title) will released on a monthly basis through Devil's Due Publishing and will be available for solicitation through Diamond Comic Distributors, Inc. The novel A New Spring will be available in January, 2004 at major booksellers everywhere. More information about The Wheel of Time, DB Production and other projects can be found at [url]http://www.dabelbrothers.com[/url]

MORE Updates:
Here are more details (received directly from the production company):
  • The comic book "Should be out by May or June"
  • It will be a "Maxi-series" (12-24 issues, depending upon the length of the book and the style of adaptation -- we have an advance copy, but haven't signed a writer yet.)
  • Will have 24-page issues
  • Will be collected 4-6 issues at a time for trade paperback editions available at major booksellers
  • Artist and writer have not been signed, but should be soon.
Also, as reported by other sites (wotmania, TarValon.net), there is concept art online at the links below. This art is not yet official, and is only one rendering from a potential artist for the series.

From the publisher:
To put things in perspective, George R. R. Martin's The Hedge Knight sold out its first two issues. Dragonlance #1 is already in January's top 100. We expect the WoT to be one of the biggest selling comics of the year, blowing away all of our sales records and introducing legions of new readers to the line of books DB Pro is working on. It's not just because Robert Jordan's name will be on it, either -- this will be a quality book, every bit as good as the critically acclaimed adaptation of "The Hedge Knight."

When we have more information regarding the artists, the timeframe, and anything else, we'll post it here. If you have any information for us, please send it in. In addition to doing George R.R. Martin's Hedge Knight, Roaring Studios will also be producing a Dragonlance comic series.