What would you like to see in Firefly?

I just found this: "but apparently it has been confirmed by Morena Baccarin at an interview that the needle was in fact a disease or poison that would kill anyone who had sex with her in case of rape"

Link: FIREFLYFANS.NET

Might also explain the compulsory yearly hospital visits mentioned in "Ariel"

Loner, how did you find that quote on FireFlyFans.Net? I entered "drug" and "poison" and "disease" and "needle" in the search engine on the site, but couldn't find the quote. (I did find a quote that mentions that the yearly hospital visits are to guard against venereal disease, as Joel says--but the visits could also have a second, more clandestine purpose, as you suggest.)

Hmm. Sorry about that.

Try community then go to Firefly Episode Discussions (about fourth down), then aboyut sixth down within that forum is the thread "Inara a Former Operative?"

Link : FIREFLYFANS.NET
This link should work better. i don't think this site has text search facilities. I tried searching for "Morena Baccarin" and my Mozilla engine just wouldn't do it! :(

Yes I agree the visits were to guard against catching venereal diseases, but who says they couldn't also have a latent strain that they can trigger at will to assault rapists with?

Yes I agree the visits were to guard against catching venereal diseases, but who says they couldn't also have a latent strain that they can trigger at will to assault rapists with?

Now that's a scary date.

I just found this: "but apparently it has been confirmed by Morena Baccarin at an interview that the needle was in fact a disease or poison that would kill anyone who had sex with her in case of rape"

In the case of Reavers, that's kind of pointless, isn't it? Won't help Inara much, after all, and it won't prevent them from killing her. A suicide shot seems a lot more likely.

Now that's a scary date.

Is there any other kind? ;)

In the case of Reavers, that's kind of pointless, isn't it? Won't help Inara much, after all, and it won't prevent them from killing her. A suicide shot seems a lot more likely.

Yes, that's what I thought. Unless the syringe scene is unrelated to the coming of the Reavers which, given the order of the scenes, seems unlikely.

Now that's a scary date.

It's not about helping Inara--at least, not directly.

There's a message for the verse in it: when a companion consents to take you to his/her bed, it will be among the most fulfilling sexual/spiritual encounters of your life. But consent is the key word. I'm sure it's common knowledge that anyone who rapes a companion dies a long, horrible, grueling death -- which is why almost no one would ever attempt such a thing.

Reavers don't know any better.

I'm sure it's common knowledge that anyone who rapes a companion dies a long, horrible, grueling death -- which is why almost no one would ever attempt such a thing.

In "Shindig," Inara made it clear that anyone who took advantage of a Companion would end up essentially with a ruined reputation (and loss of Companion business in the future), but did not hint at worse than that. In "Heart of Gold," there is no suggestion that the bordello, if registered with the Companion guild, would have somehow exacted some horrible revenge on the men in town that took advantage of them. So I just don't get the suggestion that Companions are capable of inflicting "a long, horrible, grueling death" on anyone. They just seem way above that.

Which brings us back to the syringe. I would think Companion teachings (whatever they may be) would demand a Companion take every effort to avoid being in such a situation in the first place (that's why they research their clients so thoroughly). And since, in Reavers' case, we know that means certain rape, cannibalism, and death (and not necessarily in that order), suicide seems the only acceptable alternative.

(Isn't this a fun topic?)

In "Shindig," Inara made it clear that anyone who took advantage of a Companion would end up essentially with a ruined reputation (and loss of Companion business in the future), but did not hint at worse than that.

She was talking about people who treat a Companion disrespectfully. They get blacklisted. I think it's reasonable to assume that she wasn't referring to people who would *rape* Companions.

In "Heart of Gold," there is no suggestion that the bordello, if registered with the Companion guild, would have somehow exacted some horrible revenge on the men in town that took advantage of them.

But it *wasn't* registered. They were whores, not Companions -- by Inara's own dialogue.

So I just don't get the suggestion that Companions are capable of inflicting "a long, horrible, grueling death" on anyone. They just seem way above that.

Even for rape? I dunno, man. I think you cross a Companion at your peril, as the sitaution with Atherton shows. We know that "no Companion will ever contract with [him] again," but I wonder what that does to his social status? And what that, in turn, does to his business status?

It's quite possible that, by blacklisting him, Inara ruined that man's life.

And that was just for calling her a whore. I think it's reasonable to assume they'd do much worse to someone who attempted to rape them, but that's just me.

With regard to being "above" that sort of thing -- I don't think the Companion Guild attained its status by being "above" playing hardball. (The analogy I always saw was to the Bene Geserits in Dune.)

Which brings us back to the syringe. I would think Companion teachings (whatever they may be) would demand a Companion take every effort to avoid being in such a situation in the first place (that's why they research their clients so thoroughly).

Good people can do bad things--as Atherton proved. He threatened to "ugly [her] up." So there has to be a contingency plan for people who slip through the screening process.

Raping prostitutes is as old as prostitution itself -- So I'd think the guild would've devised a suitably fairy tale-esque punishment for anyone who would try it... not just to deal with that person, but to serve as a powerful disincentive to *all* those who would try.

And since, in Reavers' case, we know that means certain rape, cannibalism, and death (and not necessarily in that order), suicide seems the only acceptable alternative.

Hasn't Whedon actually said that the syringe wasn't about suicide? I thought he had. . .

(Isn't this a fun topic?)

Yes--light and frothy, just the way I like it :)

Of course, we're making a lot of assumptions about Book's past, and maybe we shouldn't... he may have been Alliance, or simply in a legitimate profession, but not necessarily equal to an Operative. In fact I doubt he was an assassin or operative, considering how quickly and easily Jubal Early took him out.

Well, maybe Book was a former assassin, but was out of the profession for so long that he was a little out of practice. :)

And although it was Early who said, "He's not a preacher," and we know his identity gives him a status respected within the Alliance, we do not know what he did.

Which makes the character of Book all the more fascinating!

Mal and the crew may not have known what Book was in the past, but that past may not have been so heinous that they would never have accepted him had they known. It may simply have been a very personal loss or shame that Book himself refused to share.

Well, let's hope that it will be revealed in some form of media that is fully authorized by Whedon himself.

IDW comics now say they're "talking to" Whedon about an Angel Season 6 project--a counterpart to the new Buffy Season 8 he's doing with Dark Horse.

If that happens, Firefly Season 2--The Comic (there might have to be some creative naming there -- Maybe Serenity 2, but structure it like a television season) is one step closer to reality. (IDW holds the license for that, as well.)

Plus, who knows what's gonna happen with that Battlestar direct-to-dvd movie. If it hits, Universal Home Video will be casting around for other projects in the same vein. Serenity 2 would absolutely be discussed in that meeting. We can't hope for more, in terms of a live-action sequel.

Well, with Wash and Book gone, we do need a few new shipmates.]

If we had a continuation of the series, why not have it take place after Objects in Space and before the Serenity movie? I would rather have Wash and Book back with the crew than introduce new regular cast members. That's more important IMO than maintaining linear storytelling.

Purely because I'm a sad fanboy, I'd love to see the return of Badger and/or Nischka (sp?) in a second movie.

I think a return of Niska is a must! Would like to see Saffron return as well. I'm sure she conned someone to get her out of the dumpster before the Feds showed up...

Some insight into Book's past would be interesting but probably superfluous.

I think the whole "couple's life on firefly" Wash & Zoe had will probably be picked up by Simon & Kaylee. Mal, Zoe & Anara as a love triangle dilemma could be interesting as could making Zoe much more cold and ruthless (loss of Wash as a driver perhaps)

That would be an interesting triangle to be sure. Good observation that Zoe would make a great suitor, given her loss and (hypothesized) desire for Mal. One would hope that Mal would be frustrated by the whole experience, what with trying to keep Serenity running smoothly.

It's all conjecture but in closing, I'd say there's a few more stories left in that 'verse. :)

No doubt about it!

Before anything is done after the movie they still need to sort out what happened after the series finished and before the movie

Before anything is done after the movie they still need to sort out what happened after the series finished and before the movie
Most of that could be covered with well-placed comments, maybe even a flashback. As for Book's past, maybe a visitor who turns out to be looking for Book, knows Serenity as his last location, and eventually tells the crew what he/she knows about Book. Maybe in the same profession... maybe a former love or relative.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tolkien RJJ General TV Discussion 19
Vladd67 Firefly 29
REBerg Firefly 2
Toby Frost Firefly 113
Parzival Firefly 0