"Personal" question(s) to John Jarrold

Speaking of fonts; I've been using new courier for my manuscript. Is that ok?

Thanks

AVS

Thanks. Generally do you have any top tips on formatting a manuscript for submission; what do you like to see or the industry like to see.

Much advice I've seen is somewhat contradictory. (Or perhaps bears a closer reading.)

Submit your material double spaced, typed on one side of the paper (if you're submitting hard copy), and take notice of individual agents' and publishers' requirements regarding how much they want to see, whether or not they require a synopsis, and if they accept e-mail submissions. They will be dealing with you as an individual - do the same for them! Never send in artwork or illustrations with a typescript. It's considered unprofessional. It's the words that matter.

You'll find some FAQs regarding submissions for new writers on the home page of my agency website: JOHN JARROLD - LITERARY AGENT AND SCRIPT DOCTOR

That's fine. The main thing is that any font used should be easily readable. Some new writers use a 'handwritten' font when they have a written letter or note, and that can be difficult to read. Don't do that. Clarity is all!

Thanks again!

And should these sections be separated from the main body of the scene/chapter? In the same way that we seperate different scenes, with a hash symbol?

I'd suggest a line break before and after, and maybe indenting the sections that are letters, etc.

When it comes to editing, how do you tend to approach a manuscript you receive?

Do you skim read it first to get an over all feel of the story before you begin the process? Or do you edit and read as you go along?

Also, you recommend a lot authors and books that have been very successful and that you've enjoyed. Are their any [recently] published authors that you've recently read which you haven't enjoyed and suggest people avoid writing like them?

I know that last one is probably a little controversial, so it's okay if you would rather not answer that! I only ask because I think it's good to know both sides. Of course, writing is subjective, but it might still be interesting to hear.

When it comes to editing, how do you tend to approach a manuscript you receive?

Do you skim read it first to get an over all feel of the story before you begin the process? Or do you edit and read as you go along?

Also, you recommend a lot authors and books that have been very successful and that you've enjoyed. Are their any [recently] published authors that you've recently read which you haven't enjoyed and suggest people avoid writing like them?

I know that last one is probably a little controversial, so it's okay if you would rather not answer that! I only ask because I think it's good to know both sides. Of course, writing is subjective, but it might still be interesting to hear.

I do a first read as if I've just paid money in a bookshop, and only note things that REALLY trip me up. Then I put it away for a couple of days and go back for a full editorial read when I make all the notes - general and specific - then I do a final read with those notes, for anything I've missed.

No, I don't think I should mention authors I don't like!

On the subject of the credit crunch, have you seen any change to the number of submissions the agency received? Or is that sort of thing still quite solid?

No difference at all. The same is true of publishers. I worked in publishing during the recession of the late 80s/early 90s. There was no discernable difference in the number of submissions, or in the number of books we took on. Publishers have to think strategically, not just about this year...

Oh there's such doom and gloom in the air that Black Man Given Nation's Worst Job | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

WASHINGTON—African-American man Barack Obama, 47, was given the least-desirable job in the entire country Tuesday when he was elected president of the United States of America. In his new high-stress, low-reward position, Obama will be charged with such tasks as completely overhauling the nation's broken-down economy, repairing the crumbling infrastructure, and generally having to please more than 300 million Americans and cater to their every whim on a daily basis. As part of his duties, the black man will have to spend four to eight years cleaning up the messes other people left behind. The job comes with such intense scrutiny and so certain a guarantee of failure that only one other person even bothered applying for it. Said scholar and activist Mark L. Denton, "It just goes to show you that, in this country, a black man still can't catch a break."

Thank you for your words this morning John. They made me cry, but I try to keep the flag high.

Dear John,

when you receive a query about representation from somebody, and that person is able to list publication credits for short stories, does that impress you at all?

I am sure your decision would be based on the quality of the ms alone, but I was curious if previous publication credits might influence you in some small way.

Not at all. If I go to an author (as I have twice) because I love their short fiction, and ask if they are writing a novel, that's different. But if someone submits a novel that doesn't do it for me, it doesn't matter how many short stories they've had published, or where...there are plenty of authors who are published in Asimovs, Analog, Interzone and elsewhere who I have no wish to represent. It comes back to that mixture of personal and professional love of their writing.

Hello I'm back:) the rumours are not true, I'm not dead but I may as well be with the credit crunch affecting business badly.

Anyway while I'm breathing I've got a chance.

I know you've said many times that you have to love someones writing to represent them.

Has there ever been anybody whose writing you didnt like that went on to be represented by another agent and had some success.