"Personal" question(s) to John Jarrold

To get an idea of Hannu's writing, look at his story in INTERZONE 218 - or in the anthology NOVA SCOTIA. What I can say is that even in those few pages of the novel the concepts are mind-boggling, but it's still the story and the characters that leap off the page...

I've just had confirmation that the title of Hannu Rajaniemi's debut novel will be THE QUANTUM THIEF.

Good one!

It remains my favourite of Iain M Banks' novels. I was talking about a couple of other favourites at a convention recently: Samuel R Delany's BABEL 17, and Bruce Sterling's SCHISMATRIX (which I think is one of the great forgotten SF novels of the 1980s).

I'll admit that I did have to read a bit of discussion about it last night to fully get it, though... ;)

But I've seen a number suggest a re-read now that I've read the twist.

That bit with the chair was nasty though. Almost didn't get off the train when I got to that bit... ;)

I'm purely the agent. Once the deal is done, the author works editorially with his or her publishers - in this case, for Robert V S Redick: in London (Gollancz) and New York (Del Rey).

Hi John,

Any idea when we can expect to see a new Ramsey Campbell book on the shelves?

I've just started reading The Grin Of The Dark, and thoroughly enjoying it!

Hi John,

Any idea when we can expect to see a new Ramsey Campbell book on the shelves?

I've just started reading The Grin Of The Dark, and thoroughly enjoying it!

Sorry, there is one in-between! THIEVING FEAR, which is out now from PS in a limited edition hardback, but will be published in paperback by Virgin Books in March 2009.

Hi John

I was wondering if you'd noticed an increase in "environmentalist" fantasy in the last few years, either as published works or as submissions to you as an agent. "Human v Nature/planet" stories have I think been popular in Japanese popular culture for some time, but I haven't noticed them much over here, which has surprised me a bit.

Not really. The genre changes slowly, and the main change over the last ten or more years has been the much lower incidence of elves and dwarves and a general darkening of tone.

But it'll be interesting to watch the next five years on this front, in both SF and Fantasy - Kim Stanley Robinson has related more to what you're talking about, in SF terms.

Sorry, there is one in-between! THIEVING FEAR, which is out now from PS in a limited edition hardback, but will be published in paperback by Virgin Books in March 2009.

Thanks, John! I'll look forward to that ...

Another quick question, if that's OK:

In the book I'm working on at the moment, there are quite a few sections where my characters are reading documents, diary entries, etc ... I've been using Arial as font for the majority of the book, but I was thinking of putting the diary sections in Times Roman, just to make them look more authentic on the page ...

Would that be acceptable, when submitting a manuscript? Or is better to keep everything in one font?

Cheers!

That's fine. The main thing is that any font used should be easily readable. Some new writers use a 'handwritten' font when they have a written letter or note, and that can be difficult to read. Don't do that. Clarity is all!