"Personal" question(s) to John Jarrold

None. I do all the reading, typing, updating of files, dealing with e-mails, sending out stuff myself. I do have a contract associate, so when I do a contract with a new publisher she can run her eyes over it - she's run contracts and rights departments in London publishing for twenty years. But she lives in London and I just e-mail her stuff - which I've only done on three occasions through this year.

One-man-band, me...

Wow. Thats pretty intense.

Keeps me busy! And I do the editing with new writers too, of course...

But today I am stopping work now, off to the Lincoln Farmers Market, then meeting chums for lunch.

Aye but do you have meetings with yourself and fall out over policy?

I did and I didnt speak to myself for a week.:confused:

And I'm Head Cook and Bottle-washer...

Sounds like a lot of work, John! Mind you, at least you don't have to deal with the usual back-stabbing nonsense that seems to occur in most offices ...

After all, you can't stand by the water-cooler and spread gossip about yourself, can you?

Quite right, David. I got fed up with corporate politics and endless meetings in publishing. Now, I sit at my desk around 8 and work until 6 most days, then take an afernoon for myself now and then. It's intense, but since I'm doing everything, I know that it is done!

Everyone is an individual, and corporate publishing suits some people perfectly. I got fed up with sales directors who didn't read SFF telling me what I should or shouldn't publish.

Ha! Various people have asked me if I wanted to start up a small publishing company.

No, I don't...! Working as both an agent and an editor takes up all my time!!!

Ha! Various people have asked me if I wanted to start up a small publishing company.

No, I don't...! Working as both an agent and an editor takes up all my time!!!

Besides, John is far too sensible to do anything as risky as starting up an independent publishing company... He leaves such foolhardiness up to others, such as me! :rolleyes:

Besides, John is far too sensible to do anything as risky as starting up an independent publishing company... He leaves such foolhardiness up to others, such as me! :rolleyes:

What would you say is the hardest part of this - getting shops to buy the books?

I know you've said many times before that most books don't make back the publishers initial advance to the author.

I wondered why the publishers dont just offer new writers a commision on sales, that would might be a fairer system for all concerned.

What was the thinking behind the advance system when as you've said most writers have day jobs?

If, generally, an advance is above an amount an author would earn on a first book, then it serves to encourage the author. If they get a couple of grand rather than a couple of hundred quid, then there's more motivation to write the next in the series, and the next. It's not until the world is developed and a fanbase created that royalties is where the money will come from, and so the writer needs the encouragement to continue through the hard beginnings.

Perhaps

;-)

Some small publishers do use the sales-based payment system. But the HUGE majority of authors want to do deals on an advance basis with major publishers. And obviously, you can't chop and change between systems dependant upon what suits the author (particularly if they are an unproved author).

I should have some more very interesting news about new SF novelist Hannu Rajaniemi, whose three-book deal I mentioned earlier in the month, next week...have a good weekend, all.

And here it is:

Following Simon Spanton’s World Rights pre-empt for three books from new SF novelist Hannu Rajaniemi earlier in October – on the basis of reading one chapter – German rights for all three books were also pre-empted for a good five-figure sum in Euros at the Frankfurt Book Fair, by Carsten Polzin of Piper Verlag.

John Jarrold, the agent who concluded the original deal with Spanton, said, “This is wonderful. I know Carsten well and respect him greatly. He and Piper will do a great job with these novels – Hannu and I are both delighted. Congratulations to all involved!”

Other offers for Hannu’s novels from publishers across Europe are also being discussed by Gollancz’ Rights department.

As I've just said to author Charles Stross elsewhere, to do a one-book deal for a new SF novelist on the basis of one chapter is VERY unusual. But THREE books - I've actually not heard of that in the twenty years I've worked in publishing...since the original press release was lost in the hard drive crash, here it is again:

John Jarrold has concluded a three-book World Rights deal for Scottish-based Finnish SF writer Hannu Rajaniemi. Hannu’s debut novel (presently untitled) plus two further books were pre-empted by Simon Spanton of Gollancz for a high five-figure sum in pounds sterling, on the basis of one chapter.

‘I received this chapter from Hannu by e-mail in the morning (and loved it), mentioned it to Simon when we were talking about other matters, and three hours later I had a very strong pre-empt offer,’ said John Jarrold. ‘After fifteen years in an editor’s chair I am very aware how unusual it is for an offer to be made for a debut novelist on only twenty-four double spaced pages – particularly at a time when many publishing executives are more interested in the opinions of their sales and marketing directors than those of their senior editors. So congratulations to Simon for his enthusiasm and the speed of his response, and much respect to those at Orion who trusted his judgement. I think everyone can judge the power of Hannu’s writing from the way this deal was done. This chapter leaves me thirsting for more!’

Simon Spanton said: ‘Yes, acquiring one book, let alone three, on the basis of a single chapter is a gamble; and not one I or any other editor is in the habit of making. But I’ve never been more sure of a hand than the one dealt to me by John and Hannu.

‘Hannu’s first chapter was entirely enticing; yes, it was brimful of energy, originality and fascinating science but these were bonuses. What caught me and left me desperate for more was the masterful way he set up the characters, created relationships between them based on intrigue and need and suggested a rich past and a dangerous future for all concerned. I haven’t been this excited after reading just one chapter in a long, long time and consequently I’m delighted to be able to welcome Hannu to Gollancz.’

The novel is due for delivery in August 2009.

Hannu’s short fiction has featured in INTERZONE, Finnish magazines, the anthology NOVA SCOTIA and two Best of the Year SF anthologies. Hannu has a Ph D in string theory and is a co-founder of ThinkTank Maths Limited, a technology consultancy.

Here are some thoughts I posted in another place, following the deal for Hannu Rajaniemi. I hope some of you will find them of interest:

As an agent, I receive about thirty submissions a week, the vast majority from unpublished authors. And yes, I usually say to them that they should finish their novel (then put it away for a few months and go through it editorially, which they will be able to do more objectively at that point than if they tried to edit it immediately after it was finished - and they were too close to the story) before submitting it to an agent or publisher. As you'll see on my website, I ask for the first six chapters to be e-mailed to me as a Word doc; others want the entire book, or three chapters.

I represent around forty authors. Some of them, like Ramsey Campbell, Eric Brown and Chaz Brenchley, have had novels published over a long period of time. But many are new writers.

Hannu's deal is the tenth I've done for a debut novelist with a major UK publisher in the last three years. And all the others (save one) were done on the basis of a completed novel and synopses for the later books in the deal. The great majority were with authors who had not had any short fiction published - that simply doesn't matter in 2008 in the way it would have twenty years ago. Publishers are selling novels to bookselling chains and a general audience who don't even know or care that there ARE SF magazines, in many cases. There is one criterion: does the novel work? Is it terrifically well told and very commercial? I am very happy to read material from new writers, because publishers ARE looking for new names, not just those they already know. But the writing and storytelling has to be very special. Most editors might see thirty or so books every week, and only take on two debut novels over an entire year. So prose, storytelling and being in a commercial area of the market are all vital. And then there is subjectivity. I ran three SFF imprints in London over a fifteen-year period before setting up the agency (with Little Brown, Random House and Simon & Schuster). Over those years, I took on many books that others turned down, and vice versa. We aren't selling baked beans, every book and author is different. And every book will receive a different response from each and every agent and editor who reads it.

At a time when authors as varied as Alastair Reynolds, Charles Stross, Neal Asher, Justina Robson, Richard Morgan, Jon Courtenay Grimwood, Cary Doctorow, John Scalzi and Liz Williams have been succesfully published in the last decade, I'd say that SF is in a strong position where newer novelists are concerned. And SF is still only 25% or so of the overall genre market, of course, fantasy is still much stronger in sales terms.

But for new writers: yes, you have to treat it as a professional business, that's what it is. And I'd hope every writer would be happy that Hannu's deal is done. It's certainly the exception for it to work this way, on the basis of one chapter, rather than the rule. But surely it is a positive thing, at a time when far too many would-be writers whine that their novel was turned down because major publishers only want 'name' writers. It ain't so. 99% of those books are turned down because they aren't good enough, and for no other reason.

And every editor and agent can turn down 90% of their submissions within ten pages, because the writing isn't good enough.

And I'd hope every writer would be happy that Hannu's deal is done. It's certainly the exception for it to work this way, on the basis of one chapter, rather than the rule.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who is dying to read that first chapter. ;) It's a shame you probably can't say anything more about the story.

Any recent writers that you could equate it to? :)

Three books... Wow. And the first one doesn't even have a name!