"Personal" question(s) to John Jarrold

Some of the music would change every day (as would a list of my favourite films), but today:....

.... Not bothered about a luxury, as long as I have the complete Shakespeare!

Thanks for that john. I'm suprised about the luxury - No secret desires for a pile of submissions or a typewriter or just a comfy chair

(no not the comfy chair... den den deeeer)

Hi John,

Firstly, it was great to meet you at the Lincoln Book Festival a few months back and once again, thanks for the advice. I've been keeping an eye on all the interesting discussions here and found it really useful.

This is maybe a little off-topic, but here goes anyway; what can an aspiring writer such as myself do to protect the copyright of the work they are busily tweaking, refining and (hopefully) sending out to the far reaches and beyond? I know copyright law says that, basically once you have created something it is your intellectual copyright (providing it is not infringing anyone else's!), but what can I do practically? Am I missing an obvious trick?

At the moment I email copies to myself periodically so I have a dated version to fall back on, but it all seems aimed at proving material is yours once it's being disputed. Are there any preventative measures I can take? Of course, whether anyone would actually want to nick my words is another matter...! :D

Best wishes,
Jon Rowlands

In the twenty years I've worked in publishing I have only once personally come across anyone stealing someone else's writing - and that was something already in print. There's a complete section on copyright in The Writers and Artists Yearbook, so have a look at that. It really isn't a common problem...

Good to meet you in May, too, Jon!

Thanks John, will check it out. Handy to know it's not the major problem I'd thought.

What was that line in The X Files, "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you"?!

Incidentally, I'm working through my draft, based on your advice and having a real drive at PoV; I see now why it is so vital to every facet of the writing. I'm finding it helps add so much depth to the piece and by moving strategically from third to first person occasionally, it can create this punchy dialogue between author and character, that the reader is welcomed into.

Thanks again.

Thanks John, will check it out. Handy to know it's not the major problem I'd thought.

What was that line in The X Files, "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you"?!
Yeah well it is indeed not common. I would laugh so hard at a guy stealing my work then sending it off just to get tons of rejection letters. Maybe I'll write a short story about that one, it would be so funny.:p

It won't make the difference between your novel being taken on or not, but it can't hurt, as long as you enjoy writing short fiction. Mainstream publishers and the national buyers at the book chains don't care about short fiction - only that the novel itself is wonderful. Most of the debut novels I've sold in the last two years are by authors who have never had short fiction published.

Yes, each writer should do what works for them, but be aware that novels are Where It's At, commercially speaking. If you enjoy writing short fiction, do it by all means. But no one should force themselves to write short stories if they don't enjoy it, simply to try to raise their profile.

I'm reading Wasp Factory at the moment. On the last chapter now. Very good read, if a little unsettling in places... :)

It made me laugh uncontrollably when I first read it in 1985! Met Iain for the first time the following year, at Mexicon 2 in Birmingham - and two years later I became his SF editor, when I joined Orbit!

It made me laugh uncontrollably when I first read it in 1985! Met Iain for the first time the following year, at Mexicon 2 in Birmingham - and two years later I became his SF editor, when I joined Orbit!

It made you laugh?!! I'm not sure that's something you should admit to! ;)

But no, bits of it did bring a smile to myself, maybe I was taking it to seriously... I can't wait to read the final chapter tonight, though I think I've figured out the twist. Previous one has made it quite obvious... unless I'm very much mistaken.

And just to be safe I'll avoid these forums until tomorrow morning now :)

I always thought it was one of the funniest books I've ever read - nothing like black humour to enliven a book! The kite - wonderful!

I always thought it was one of the funniest books I've ever read - nothing like black humour to enliven a book! The kite - wonderful!

I'm glad you appreciate black humour, John ... my next book's full of the stuff ...

I've never read The Wasp Factory, but I've heard people describe it as Horror/Comedy, which is exactly the type of thing that I'm trying to capture ...

Will have to pick up a copy, and see how Mr Banks goes about it!