"Personal" question(s) to John Jarrold

There are no guarantees about publication whatsoever. Although I have done those nine deals for debut novelists, there are others I sent out that I felt were equally good, which received no offers. Writing is a career, not a quick hit! I presently have third novels by two clients out with publishers. You gradually sort out which editors like a specific author's writing, then try to get author, idea and editor all on the same wavelength...

As long as an editor believes a novel is in an area of the market that they can sell to the book chains, and they LOVE it, you have a chance.

Thank you, once more, John!

And over 40,000 views! Wow! It's obviously a testament to how much people appeciate this kind of feedback. (Especially writers like me, who are a bit naive when it comes to the business side of things ...)

Long may this thread continue!

Probably a hard/weird question:
How long does it usually take an agent to get you a deal (if he or she manages to get you one)? I know of course it will depend both on the agent and on the novel and such, but surely an agent only has limited connections to publishers. Once those are exhausted, the chance of the agent getting that writer a deal gets pretty small, I think.

I should also say that on a couple of occasions I have said to new novelists: 'I would like to represent you, because you are a terrific writer. But there is no way this specific book will sell to the major publishers because of THIS, THIS and THIS. So I'd be very happy to take you on and discuss future projects.'

Well, I hope you'll enjoy my next offering, John. (Should be submitting it in few months, with any luck) I've been trying my best to improve on the last book, based on your advice ...

And at the end of the day, a writer can only get better with each new project, can't they? At least, that's what I'd like to think ...

That's the way it should go, though I've known writers who became more self-indulgent after they had been successfully published - and then wonder why their sales were declining. They usually decide it was the stupid publishers' fault. Couldn't possibly be that they'd forgotten about the people who actually put their hands in their pockets to buy the book and be entertained, could it? Sigh...

Couldn't possibly be that they'd forgotten about the people who actually put their hands in their pockets to buy the book and be entertained, could it? Sigh...

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. I've certainly lost interest in a few different authors, for that exact reason ...

Mind you, I think you find that kind of thing in most creative fields; Music, literature, film, etc ... An artist's early work is normally considered to be their best.

Maybe that's why?

I feel it does vary - like so much, it depends upon the individual. I'd say Jon Courtenay Grimwood's work has grown richer, though (maybe because I commissioned and published them) I like his Arabesk novels best. Robert Holdstock's novels certainly get richer and more multi-layered as he goes on. In some ways, NEUROMANCER is still my favourite of William Gibson's novels, however, although his later work is certainly more sophisticated and controlled. You pays your money...

I suppose it could also be down to the kind of audience a succesful artist initially attracts ...

Woody Allen, for instance ... Didn't he actually coin the phrase, "the early funny ones" in reference to his own films? It seems like a lot of Woody Allen fans lost interest after his 1970s stuff, whereas other people prefer the later, more dramatic films, and dismiss "the early funny ones" as some kind of lesser art ...

I think it comes down to subjectivity, again ... like everything else ...

Yeah, well it seems though that the worst thing that can happen is a writer scoring a big hit. Then when the money runs out or boredom starts to set in years after, the second one comes out. *coughDonnaTarttcough* Especially because from a marketing point of view it's better to sell Stephen King's grocery lists than some other unknown writer. (of course if you publish the grocery lists twice, the readers may not be fooled again:p)

I should say that all major publishers are looking for new writers, not just known bestsellers - otherwise I wouldn't have done nine deals for debut novelists with five different UK publishers over the last two years, and other agents have done those deals too. And, once again, it depends on the writer as an individual. Some go from strength to strength after success - others don't.

What criteria apart from the obvious like book cost, royalty and marketing does a publisher consider when setting the retail selling price of his book?

There seems to be a large difference in prices on Amazon of well known authors

Look at the recommended retail prices, rather than Amazon's discount prices. Hardbacks are around £18, unless there is a price promotion. Large-format paperbacks around £12.99 and mass-market paperbacks around £7.99. If you see great variations from that on recommended prices, then there is a price promotion underway.

Thanks John...does a debut author have his RRP set lower than a well established author or is that not relevant?

Are the book stores dearer than Amazon?

It varies on individual titles, as in so much. Publishers discuss how to market each book separately - they may feel that a debut hardback should be £10 rather than full price - or they may use that money on different forms of marketing.

As I've said before: there is no template.

And some bookstores, at some times, are more expensive than Amazon, but they also have price promotions. Waterstones regularly do three for the price of two promos, as do WHS - and the acronym BOGOF (Buy One, Get One Free) was unknown fifteen years ago, but is now a staple of the bookselling chains, and publishers' marketing meetings. Again, there is no absolute template...

Is it possible to write 2 books at the same time.The reason I ask is when I get up in the morning I try to do 1000 words.

In the evenings I always edit the days catch of words but then after that I get bored with the TV.

I have always resisted doing anymore of book one as I like to be fresh but as an experiment I wrote 1000 words of book two tonight, I felt fresh as its a new and different project, even though its the same protagonist.

What do you think John?

Although I have made the point often enough that each writer is an individual, I would always suggest that a new novelist should finish one book, revise, get it right, before starting another - it ain't easy to get a book good enough for commercial publication and it seems to me that anything which draws your concentration in another direction is wrong. However, having ideas, and writing them down, that's another matter.

Gary, John is right, least I have found so.

I have also found out that there comes a time when you have to set the current novel aside. That the re-writes, editing, sending off as a submission, the rejection, then re-write again, is not working, that this time you haven't made the grade.

I find it is a two year cycle lol... Writing, editing, sending off for submission and beginning again with a new effort. Just started the cycle for the fifth time :eek::D. (Ten years this September since I began the madness on an old Amstrad, running windows 3.11!!!)

I am, though, working on an idea I first outlined back in late 2006! I don't plan to give up, ever! Even if I never sell any of my efforts, it is the writing and the trying that is important, anything else will be a bonus I will enjoy to the full.

I concentrated solely on my first novel until I decided it more resembled a plate of spaghetti than a novel. But it taught me a lot about writing, including my process for writing.

Since then, I mostly work on multiple projects at a time. I prefer to let a project sit for a month or two between drafts so I can go at it with fresh eyes, and I work on something else during that time.