It's official! Pern movie deal with Copperheart Ent. announced!

Cheryl

McCaffrey Fanatic
As was announced to a private audience at Anne's recent 80th birthday party, there is a movie deal between Anne and Copperheart Entertainment to produce a Pern movie. They've optioned the whole series (which is typical, you never option one book of series), and plan to start with Dragonflight. It hasn't been said explicitly, but whether they continue will of course depend on the success of the first one.

I'm not going to hold my breath given how many times Pern has come close to the large (and small screen) before, but this is a very promising development and it at least looks like they bought the option with the plans to actually produce a movie, and not just hang on the option.

Here's the SciFi Wire article

I read all of the Pern books when I was younger, and enjoyed them a lot. I hope this movie will be good, but I've never heard of Copperheart. Anyone else know anything about them?

No... but I'm looking forward to the movie, and praying that it will pe produced...

um, not sure here. i think it will much depend on which period they use, who they cast, who will do script, how much will be 'concept' and how much will be from the actual book. the books are quite complex in formation and content and theme. i'll not hold my breath.
btw: thanks for the update cheryl.

Although each book is technically a stand-alone novel, many are heavily influenced by the ongoing threads (pun intended) of geography, genealogy and (of course) the history of the people of Pern.

What do people think of the choice of Dragonflight, if that is what does get used, as a starting point?

I've really enjoyed all of her Pern books. It's great that at last there is to be a film, although having read the books, I wonder if the movie will be a let down. Time will tell. :)

A lot of films don't do books justice, in my opinion, but I think it's great that they are going to try :) can't wait to see the special effects

Although each book is technically a stand-alone novel, many are heavily influenced by the ongoing threads (pun intended) of geography, genealogy and (of course) the history of the people of Pern.

What do people think of the choice of Dragonflight, if that is what does get used, as a starting point?

personally i think it's a good idea just o get people hooked into the films. I mean look at the Star Wars films they made the ones they thought would sell first, everyone fell in love with them then they were financed to make the rest and i definatly want to see them all made!!!!

Hi Fans:
I'm new, but have been an avid Anne fan for about 30 years when I read (wore out) my sister's copy of The White Dragon.... I am anxious (happily) to see what Copperheart can do, but a bit worried about the fact that I couldn't get an update from them at their site.... any new scoop on this?

Welcome to the Chronicles! Always nice to see a fellow Anne-fan:)

I haven't heard anything from Copperheart, sadly. I'm waiting to see what kind of film they'll produce, and hopefully it'll stay faithful to the original.

I do remember hearing about one year and a half before the lotr movies:
They're going to make a film about it!
So it might take a while:p

i won't hold my breath, for being an extreme Pern fan! likely they'll totally mess up the whole dragon-look thing i've kept up in my mind. don't get me wrong, people are entitled to their own opinion, though if the dragons have so much as horns, i'm done! Also if they give it a whole star wars outlook i won't watch it either.

Good point. I have found it's easier to love movies if you've never read the books. For instant I watched Harry Potter before reading it...such a let down I must say. I'm with you whole heartedly about not overplaying it with the dragons they have to be perfect of it'll ruin the entire story. Surely Anne wouldn't let them turn it into a Star Wars like movie. Even if i do LOVE Star Wars nothing like it belongs near Pern.

I'll agree to that. I also think that they ought to get the dragon designs right or they'll lose a lot of fans. One thing I'd like to see is the director/screenwriter saying that they've read the books properly - as well as conversed at length with Anne about it - or better yet, that they've always been fans of the books. Still, that's just my opinion, and I guess I am a little bit biased.;)

I quiver in fear of the horrors a production company might inflict on us in the aftermath of Paolini's gig... I fervently hope that they choose one book, or even in keeping with the original authorship of Dragon Flight-being done novella style originally- maybe take on part of a book to "stretch their wings a little."