Tardis

Robertbert said:
Don't worry about the rest of the Colin Baker stories...Really...Don't... :) ...

Ah, but you see, I'm one of those "completist" pains-in-the-neck that likes to pick up on minutiae... So at some point I really DO need to see these, whether I like them or not....

The TARDIS is also telepathic. I think that's why it changed into weird things in the "Attack of the Cybermen". It knew that deep down the Doctor sees himself as a policeman, and therefore his home needs to be a police-something. Even if it's not recognised as such on Peladon, etc. The Doctor knows what it is.

At the end of "Attack...", the TARDIS goes back to being a police-box and the Doctor pats in appreciation.

BTW,
Good Colin Baker stories:
Attack of the Cybermen
Two Doctors
Revelation of the Daleks.

And many of the others where at least average. Except the last season -- which was all about modern FX.

i dont think that the doctor sees himself as a police man, i think he sees himself as a unfortunate time-lord, and he takes all the technology for granted. perhaps the tardis should change depending on where it is to blend in?

Twitchr4ng3r,
It's obviously just an opinion. But I see it as the Doctor going around setting things right. Very little self pity in the Doctor.

and the Tardis always seems to take someplace where he's needed. Even when he's trying to go on holiday! :D

In the new series, the TARDIS appears to have an almost symbiotic relationship with the Doctor. In a sense, it's becoming less of a vehicle and taking on more aspects of a character. Also, as it is unbound by time and space, perhaps this symbiosis and its asymmetrical relationship with time could explain why it always manages to take the Doctor to where he is needed the most:)

How about a large, black, light-swallowing slab? :)

Cobolt said:
So if you could alter it what would you do to the outside?????
I'd make it look like an out house. People would be lined up in front of the Tardis bouncing around unable to get inside because of course the Doctor would have the key.

I'd add a lot more comedy to the main console- use pop culture gadgets, in the same way that the latest series revealed that there was a standard Earth telephone. I'd dim the lights a bit as well, and emphasise the hexagonal element.

I can see the current doctor making the inside look more like a 1950s American diner... neon and formica and stainless steel.

Robertbert said:
Just 'cause we haven't seen the huge chandelier filled dining rooms, luxurious leather sofa'd lounges or 500 seater cinemas doesn't mean they're not there...All we've really seen is the Control Room of the TARDIS...Why would that be cluttered with Sofas that could get chucked around if bad stuff happened?...

Don't worry about the rest of the Colin Baker stories...Really...Don't... :) ...

Not going to comment on the Colin Baker Sories, but if you want to jump back through the years the Tom Baker story the Invasion of time sees the Doctor hunted through the TARDIS where we get to see an awful lot of it, including botanical gardens (with meat eating plants) countless walkways & corridors (easy to do at the BBC). There have also been a secondary control room, bedrooms, The cloister Room (Like a crumbling temple inside) The Zero Room (To help with regenerations and for meditation) and a massive wardrobe!

So there is apparently more than enough room to have all those luxuries - a swimming pool was mentioned at one point, and altough the TARDIS has changed dramatically inside since the orignal days it's still that brilliant concept that I love...

It's bigger on the inside than the outside....

It would be great idea in the current revised canon to have a lot more of the TARDIS seen in an episode. Not sure what sort of story would be required to do that though... since the plots are typically people orientated rather than, for example, more typical sci-fi...

charles said:
there was one episode with an old doctor(dont renmeber which) but the chamelon circuit (the thing which allows the outiside to camoflauge itself) was working, they laned in a scrap yard and it turned into a fully functioing player pioano! he then changed it back
I think that was Rememberance of the Daleks with Sylvester McCoy and Ace.

If you wanted the TARDIS to blend into noughties surroundings, then the only thing that would really work today would be one of those silver automatic toilets. Even the red telephone boxes are disappearing.

I always preferred the old edwardian wood-panel console room that Tom Baker used for a while. But there have been many alternative styles already shown. The Rani had a steel and grey-stone interior, ultra modern, with subtle pink lighting, and a decor that included small baby dinosaurs in jars!

Tim James said:
there is apparently more than enough room to have all those luxuries - a swimming pool was mentioned at one point, and altough the TARDIS has changed dramatically inside since the orignal days it's still that brilliant concept that I love...
I seem to remember that it one story (may have been the "Movie" with Paul McGann) that the Doctor had to "dump" a lot of the TARDIS to escape, but that still leaves room for other things not seen yet. I also remember the chase through the TARDIS in the 'Invasion of Time' and it seems infinite.

Dave said:
I seem to remember that it one story (may have been the "Movie" with Paul McGann) that the Doctor had to "dump" a lot of the TARDIS to escape.

Can't believe I'm saying this as it proves the point that I'm a retentive nerd when it comes to Doctor Who, but the episode they dumped a lot of the TARDIS was the first PETER DAVISON story CASTROVALVA...

(All from memory 25 years on... now why can't I remember the important things from back then like maths, French.... :rolleyes: )

Yet it's still in character that he uses such an old fashioned thing. Kinda like his sonic screwdriver and other archaic quirks.

Weird that it was changed at all, given that the whole point of it was that its appearance had become stuck. I wonder what the thinking was behind the alterations?

The Victorian Edwardian paneled controll room in thye used in Tome Baker time as the Doctor. I always loved that control room because it was so elegant ,classy and steam punkish.:cool:(y)

The Victorian Edwardian paneled controll room in thye used in Tome Baker time as the Doctor. I always loved that control room because it was so elegant ,classy and steam punkish.:cool:(y)
I liked that one. The interior of the TARDIS in Doctor Who: The Movie was very similar.

The interior of The Master's TARDIS was also cool.

In all honesty, I loved all the classic interiors. The Nu-Who interiors don't thrill me though.