Favorite author among Jordan/Martin/Bakker/Erikson?

Favorite author?

• R. Scott Bakker

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Steven Erikson

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Robert Jordan

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • George R. R. Martin

Votes: 27 52.9%

• Total voters

fxer

I'm quite new to fantasy literature, been reading mostly technical stuff and wanted something completely different :) I've read Tolkien's books way in the past and was looking for fresh material, I've been recommended these 4 authors but I was curious who would come out on top in a poll.

If you have another favorite you think I should take a look at, having barely read any fantasy, I would appreciate those comments too!

I voted for Erikson and his Malazan Book of the Fallen, amazing stuff. For me this is followed closely by George R R Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. In fact I would go so far as to say that if I was sitting around a campfire listening to either author tell his story I would have to choose Martin, he just seems more like the "fireside storyteller" type.

To round out my list it would be Bakker then Jordan.

Rahl

This is interesting, because on the face of it, I wouldn't consider Jordan to be a true favorite of mine. However, having read at least one book from all of these authors - I compared them for all things. Good story, breadth of emotion (do I laugh, cry and cringe and shake my head in just one book or is it more limited?), characters I can relate to, worlds I can understand, etc. While I'm really enjoying Erikson's Malazan series - I find quite a bit of it to be similar to the Black Company series of long ago, though with lots more. And there isn't enough of a mixture of emotion - mostly pretty bleak. GRRM, I just didn't enjoy much at all. While quite a bit of it was interesting, I just couldn't get into it. Bakker's A Prince of Nothing was also new and interesting but the characters I could enjoy reading about were few and far between, and there really wasn't any emotion other than desperation in all of its forms. Thinking about the WoT series, I laugh, cry and shake my head, cringe - all of that. Plus, more characters I can identify with or at least enjoy reading about. So, interestingly enough, I chose Jordan. So sue me :D

FXER your nasty:D How can I choose between my 3 favorite authors. Whereas I havent heard of this Jordan person;) {just kidding :D Flame me with a heavy dose of love people}. Ahem as I was saying. All three write so differently. These are the only authors( Tolkien not included hes a given) whose books Ive read many times over and have yet to be bored. I refuse to do your poll they are like my children I cannot love one above another. Its like saying if you could only save one who would it be your mother or your father.

have to go with erikson. would put jordan second martin third and bakker last.

Well, I had to vote for my buddy, George!

Just as I was looking for new authors to explore, along he came and blew my mind with a fabulous set of characters and a rich 'real' world.

Helped me see that Fantasy books didn't have to have dragons, wizards, elves & goblins in.

Ironically he now does have magic & dragons in his story. I must say, I prefered the magic-free world he had at the beginning :)

I should not have voted as I have not read anything by Bakker and am only just reading Erikson now. I have a sneaky suspicion that I will come to enjoy Erikson more than Martin in future. Also I must read Bakker next after I have trawled through the Malazan series.

Lacedaemonian said:
I must read Bakker next after I have trawled through the Malazan series.
Bakkers third book is amazing. Each book is better than the other.

*looks guilty* Would it sound really pathetic, not to mention lazy, if i siad that Jordan is the only one ive read out of those 4? lol. So I can not vote. God, I need to pick up my game *grin*

fxer said:
I'm quite new to fantasy literature, been reading mostly technical stuff and wanted something completely different :) I've read Tolkien's books way in the past and was looking for fresh material, I've been recommended these 4 authors but I was curious who would come out on top in a poll.

If you have another favorite you think I should take a look at, having barely read any fantasy, I would appreciate those comments too!

I do believe you must read Robin Hobb - The Farseer, Tawny Man and Liveship Trader trilogies, in that order, if your looking for a good fantasy read, just my opinion, but truly fabulous.

heron said:
i would advise Fxer not start his (Jordan's) books untill he finishs the series otherwise he could be waiting another 15 years for the next book.(if he brings out another prequel before finishing the main series i swear to god i'll cry)
Actually the first Fantasy book I've started (outside Tolkien and Le Guin long ago) is Jordan's "The Eye of The World". I'm only about halway in, seems like every time someone gets in a jam magic fixes everything though. Is this a trend in fantasy, just solve problems with a Deus Ex Machina? Either way, it's pretty good.

Thanks for all the votes and suggestions and comments, it is helping me greatly!

nixie said:
For me Erikson comes before Bakker due to the humour and characters.
I agree he's one of the best at writing humour and still keeps pace with the drama which is very hard to do.

I'd say Erikson, then Martin then Jordan, haven't actually read Bakker.

Back