Favorite author among Jordan/Martin/Bakker/Erikson?

Favorite author?

• R. Scott Bakker

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Steven Erikson

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Robert Jordan

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • George R. R. Martin

Votes: 27 52.9%

• Total voters
I've read all of them, Jordan I still need to get in mood to finish wheel of time. Martin, I love the series but it isn't unique enough. Bakker's is brilliant but Erikson is amazing, when I picked up the first book in his new series; The God is Not Willing, I was transported back to his world, I'm drawn in completely.

Interesting. I feel like Martin is often lauded for his uniqueness. I've never been entirely sure whether I agree, but it's interesting to see a dissenting voice.

Anyway, fwiw, I've tried all of them. Couldn't get into Bakker or Erikson. Parts of Martin were amazing, absolutely gobsmacking, but I found that as he got away from the characters I liked, and sprawled, and the shock value wore off, I could take it or leave it. That sentence deliberately rambles as much as one of his plots.

Jordan is probably my favourite. His characters and ideas catch at me more than any of the others.

Martin is unique but I've always thought War of the Roses with magic.

Ah so. On the one hand, I see what you mean. On the other hand, I think that effect did make him unique among epic fantasy to many people. Guess it depends on how you define unique.

The best writer is Martin, by a country mile, though I’m not actually a fan of his Ice & Fire fantasy series - his other work tends to be excellent though.

Back