Twins!!!!

Thank you for the good wishes everyone. I haven't decided yet what I want to be called, except that I think Clay's mother and I should have separate names. We will both be highly involved (living so near by) and it seems like that would be less likely to boggle little minds. But of course there is time to think about that; they won't be sitting up and asking to sit on Grandma's lap for a while yet.

Yesterday was quite a day. Megan went in for some routine tests, and because they didn't like some of her blood work they decided to induce. She told us not to hurry over because it was likely to take a long time, and they weren't even going to start the procedure just yet. About half an hour later we heard they were going to do a c-section. Of course I knew that sudden decision must mean some sort of serious problem. John, Miles, Daisy and I went tearing off to the hospital. Daisy got there first, but the rest of us arrived just afterward the operation was over. Poor Clay arrived late, too, because thinking there was plenty of time she sent him home to get some of her things (she was packed but hadn't brought anything with her since it was supposed to just be a non-stress test). He got the phone call and hurried back, but missed the birth, too.

They did let him in to see her and the babies, but not for very long. And it was hours before we could see her, because she was having so much pain and they wanted to get that under control first. Then, when we finally got to see her, it was a couple of hours before we could see the babies. The worst of it was that she hadn't seen them either and I felt badly for her about that. Because it was such an emergency (prolapsed chord as soon as they broke the water) they had to put her to sleep (they don't do that anymore with a routine caesarian), and by the time she woke up they had whisked the babies away (she had a brief blurry glimpse of Jack, but not even that with Ethan).

The doctors and nurses kept telling us that everything went well during the surgery and that the babies' heart rates were good throughout. But the reason for the delay bringing them to her room was because they had low blood pressure. (Maybe because of the anesthesia? I don't know.) They had to have transfusions. But eventually the nurses gave them their first baths and brought them in.

Naturally there was much anxiety for everyone up to that point. But I had the wonderful opportunity of seeing Megan's face the first time she saw her babies. Because they didn't have to go through the birth canal, they came out looking like minature human beings instead of vaguely humanoid extra-terrestrials. Cute doesn't begin to describe it.

We're going back the moment visiting hours start because Megan says she didn't sleep last night, is still having some pain, and wants moral support and help with the babies (I said ask the nurses to help until we're allowed to come, but she doesn't seem to want to do that). Clay was with her all night, but you can imagine how much sleep he was able to snatch while she almosts dozed and he was on one of those chairs that turn into torture-device-more-than-beds cots. So he needs to go home and get some sleep.

So much joy, but we're all pretty much wrung out. (You can probably guess that I was too keyed up to get much sleep either.)

So that was our exciting day.

Harrowing getting there, definitely. That's often the case, but it doesn't make it any easier going through it... but I'm very glad all came out right. And, again, the very best to all of you, Teresa. Congratulations indeed!

Now get some rest!;)

I am very very very glad that everyone is healthy (albeit sleepy). And my heart is full knowing that you got to see Megan's face when she first saw her babies: your baby Megan, seeing her babies, as you saw her . . . such a good moment in your life. Blessed.

I'm getting in a lot of quality bonding time with the babies. The bad news is that Megan is still feeling wretched most of the time -- all of the pain medications have wreaked havoc on her stomach (which is sensitive to begin with) and she spent a lot of last night throwing up again and again. So she's exhausted from lack of sleep and weak from lack of food, not to mention uncomfortable otherwise (although no longer in acute pain, thank goodness). With all this going on, she's unable to cope on her own. When Clay goes home to catch up on his sleep, John and I go to the hospital to help with the babies.

Did I mention how cute they are? They were beginning to get fussy yesterday, but this morning one of the nurses put them into the same bassinet together and the result was instantly happy babies. They hardly ever open their eyes and never seem to be facing each other at the same time, but they just like having that other little body so close -- I suppose that's what they're used to after all those months together. And they keep flailing their little arms around and hitting each other in the face, and not a single complaint out of either of them. (Could this be one of those male bonding rituals?)

And they keep flailing their little arms around and hitting each other in the face, and not a single complaint out of either of them. (Could this be one of those male bonding rituals?)
Yeah we punch our friends, so that we get used to take punches in the future,
Don't women do this too?... oh oh:eek:
Now that explains why they react so harsh when you punch their shoulder, they're not used to it.:p

Well, they'll be beating each other up at home or at Grandma(s)'s house(s) after this. They're on their way home from the hospital even as I type this. I've spent most of the day running back and forth between the houses doing laundry and generally tidying up -- I'm not usually a tidying sort of person -- for the great occasion.

(How tempting it is to become an obnoxiously doting grandmother! But think I may be granted a little leeway just for now, since the twins are less than a week old.)

I've uploaded pictures of Jack and Ethan to the gallery since the files were too big to post here.

Very cute little twins Teresa...I hope you are enjoying your Grandmotherhood as much as I am :)

Indeed they are... and quite healthy, too, it seems. Lovely pictures, Teresa. Again, congratulations to you all!

Congrats! I am a twin too, and I will tell it is awesome having a twin brother. I always have someone to talk to and be friends with.

Are your twins identical or fraternal? Sorry if it's already been stated. Did you have CVS?

We're still waiting for the results of the test, but at 15 days old they're looking less alike than they did when they were born, so at this point we're guessing fraternal.

Pyar, they already seem to have a bond. Did you always feel close to your twin brother?

Teresa Edgerton said:
Pyar, they already seem to have a bond. Did you always feel close to your twin brother?

Yes I have always felt very close to my brother. He is the person I can confide anything with. The only problem that arises from this is that since I have my twin brother to be friends with always, both of us lack other friends. This is not so much true anymore cause we are older and have very different personalities but when we were young, we were innocent and never saw the need to make other friends. Why go through the trouble of making new friends when you already have one that you can always talk to? This is why elementary schools usually keep brothers and sisters, especially twins, is separate classes so they can develop independently. Now we are currently in High School and have many friends but for the most part we are friends with the same people; we are not unique enough to have our own set of friends. I venture to guess that when we go to college though, we will grow apart and more different.

Also, we are fraternal twins, but I don't think that makes one bit of difference whether you are identical or fraternal. The only difference may be a slight physical difference. Out of the most of the twins I have seen, if they are identical they look very similar and have a physical structure that is almost the same, if they are fraternal they have a slight difference in structure, one may be bigger than the other (like me =P) or one may be more taller. I am bigger boned and more heavy set than my brother, this is because I got more nutrients when I was developing in my mother. The doctors were even worried that my brother was not getting enough (im stealing all his food lol). Maybe that is why fraternal twins differ physically, but I guess it depends on a case by case situation.

I could never imagine losing him, that would be worse than losing anyone else. This happened to twins at my school, one of them died in a boating accident and the other lived. It was like he was empty. There was something missing. I don't know how he is now, because he moved away; all the memories of his brother at this school were too hard to bear.

Our bond was formed before we were even born. There is no other relationship in the world that I could compare it to, only other twins can understand. It is a bond that I will always treasure. We can cheer each other up and know when the other is not feeling good. I couldn't live without him and I am starting to go crazy living with him :p.

(wow I wrote a lot lol)

p.s. feel free to ask more questions about me or my life as a twin =)