what are some good english grammar books?

huxley

i'm looking for a english grammar book that would have all the rules in it ,and good explanations, and alot of good grammar exercises.

i find i need to practice it alot so it can be carved in my head. any suggestions on a well rounded grammar book?

I don't really know of any grammar books that might suit your needs. I didn't learn grammar that way - never had English teachers who actually taught grammar. All the rules of grammar I know, I learned from "Schoolhouse Rock" and from two semesters of Latin classes. To the extent that I can construct grammatically correct sentences (and the jury is still out on how well I can actually do that:p), I learned how to do so by reading a lot, and by reading pretty much anything I could get my hands on. After awhile, if you've read things that have their grammar correct for the most part, your use of correct grammar will become more or less second nature.

I suppose there is some use for being able to name all the parts of speech, and to be able to diagram sentences, but I've never figured out what that use might be. I even got through several years of tutoring English without having to do that very much, and when I did have to do so I just cribbed from my students' textbooks.:eek:

Unfortunately, nothing specific; you might check with a local academic on this; as rules of grammar are always undergoing some degree of change.

I have to agree with the advice that the best way to learn (and most writers tend to say the same, in my experience) is to read; and, what is more important, read carefully and pick carefully what you read. As for being able to diagram sentences, name the proper techniques/parts of speech, etc., that comes in handy if you're doing analyses/criticism (that is, actual criticism, not capsule reviews or "I like"/"I don't like"), but it isn't necessary for writing well -- again, most writers wouldn't be able to tell paranomasia from paranoia; they don't need to; they've absorbed the use of proper english over a lifetime of reading with care and attention. Look for those writers who are known for their storytelling ability and for use of the language. Read writers who are considered the best examples of proper writing, and get lost in their language, let it sweep over you and revel in it; then sit back and look at why it works -- not the technical terms, but why it captivated you, what held you there instead of throwing the book against the wall. Usually the two things go hand in hand. And don't be afraid to go back through, once it's written, and edit, paying attention to whether your sentences parse, where it may be clumsy or too bald, where you may have overdone the description or adjectives, etc., and adjusting accordingly. Let the writers who are considered classics be your guide on this -- and there are definitely some sf/fantasy writers who fall into that category. But first of all, WRITE, don't worry about the technical side of it, or even too much about proper grammar and such; get the story down, THEN go back and carefully rework where it needs it. This can be a tedious process, but it's necessary to both keep the excitement of new work and to perfect your style.

Green said:
Strunk's Elements of Style is pretty decent as a rulebook/way in.

Seconded - this is the one book I find frequently recommended by published writers for aspiring writers to get to grips with. Stephen King I believe was the latest person I read to highly recommend it as the one book writers need to learn from.

j. d. worthington said:
But first of all, WRITE, don't worry about the technical side of it, or even too much about proper grammar and such; get the story down, THEN go back and carefully rework where it needs it. This can be a tedious process, but it's necessary to both keep the excitement of new work and to perfect your style.
Absolutely correct, j. d. When I was an English tutor, I think I spent the majority of my time trying to convince my students that they needed to get something, anything, on paper before they started to worry about the technical stuff. I think part of the resistance to this idea was that many of them wanted to just write their essay or their research paper and then not look at it anymore. Whatever it was, I had the most difficult time convincing a lot of the students that editing, proofreading, and polishing toegther comprise at least 90 percent of writing. I never did convince some of them of it.

EDITED: To fix a really stupid grammar problem.

Last edited:
i agree with the Elements of Style book. i've found it near invaluable.

If you are not in the UK or any other english-speaking country and want to boast up your english language skill:

-cambridge esol exam (and courses for that)
-IELTS (International english language testing system) and the courses to improve your grade here.

I've recently bought "Eats, shoots and leaves."
I haven't a clue what it's like yet though. Has anyone read this?

Paradox 99 said:
I've recently bought "Eats, shoots and leaves."
I haven't a clue what it's like yet though. Has anyone read this?

I have and it is very good, you get the hang of the grammar while being amused!:D