Getting published and reading

Re: Reading

WriterDoug said:
the Internet may be no less biased or misleading than tv, movies, books, just about anything these days. it is important, no matter what, to be equipped with the skills to spot a good source from a bad one. a bad source always bounces back and hurts an author. ;)

The internet can be a LOT more biased and misleading than TV, movies and books at least as technical side. TV and movies etc have safe guards from governments and other sources.. They have to make sure things are accurate and not just made up.. at least the none fiction professional ones. The TV networks, publishers, etc are businesses which means: if they do something shoddy or wrong or generally misleading then will get bad reviews etc and not be able to make any more TV shows or books etc. though they do make mistakes biased, etc. may be that’s part of being human we all mess up and make up our minds.
The internet though has no safe guards really. It’s incredibly easy to make a web site and buy a domain name. So just because something has .com or .co.uk at the end of there own site name, doesn’t mean the author is serious. My own site only costs me about £3 per month and it has: huge space and bandwidth. Though I have a yearly domain registration which is about £10 a year if I remember rightly, so anyone can publish anything they want to say for under about £46 a year since there are cheaper places. The people that made that site could just disappear if there writings/site is found to be completely wrong and make a new one, since it is incredibly rare that a site which just holds information to have any real life contact details (other than may be a name and e-mail) or real life company behind it. Partly due to the freaks which are on the net that will steal your personal info if you give too much out, but this gives an example of how TV, Books and movies are different. You normally always have someone to complain at like trading standards etc if it doesn’t do what it is meant to do i.e. you buy a book on mathematics and it says 4 + 2 = 5 or something equally silly, since It doesn’t do the job it was meant to do. Though I do love the internet and I find it use full like someone else said to work out what to research.

I’m quite surprised by the fact that in the writing world under 20s writers are consider so young and it seams from what I’ve read that a lot older people (yes addressing people 30+ as old you can tell my age now lol. I think that’s something to do with personal age the younger you are the further away 30’s and 40’s seam. I’m 18 btw) 25 or 30 braking into the industry and it not being unheard of. I personally found this as quite surprising since I expected like most other industry, your normally expected to be on a run of the ladder at like 18 or getting on it some how. I was quite surprised by this. May be because I’m use to look looking at I.T related career paths, which many good ones you have to be a real young I.T geek to get a very good job in it.