Writers and online promotion

Re: Ask your publishing questions here

Hi John,
That's an interesting article. The web and paper publishing are taking some good bits from each other.
I did see a BBC news articles recently about a couple of publishers who have turned popular blogs into books too.
Do any of your authors e-publish?

Not yet, but it's bound to come. Jeff VanderMeer and Charlie Stross are certainly in the vanguard...

i found the article scarey :( i am not creative enough in that sort of way to think of any ways to market myself that is different.

don't say that! my cats will cry! :)
seriously, i am not good at thinking outside boxes. writing yes (at least i hoep so!) but i have two businesses (well i count the writing as one these days) and neither website is marketted in anything out of the ordinary. not having a lot of cash or website development skill (i have a friend who does it. she's proffessional but it means i rely on her) does hinder me. but mostly, i lack ideas.

maybe we could ahve a brainstorming thing! i am sure others are in the same boat.
or maybe not

And for Faery Queen - please don't worry. This doesn't mean you HAVE to use this sort of promotion. Writers will continue to use the methods that suit them best, because we are all individuals, after all, and what works for one will not work for another...

In which case you have to learn the new stuff! No part of publishing is going to be easy, so roll your sleeves up!

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I, Brian and John. I agree that if the author joins forums to plug his book, it's pretty darned cheesy and doesn't work. Opening sales in this case were decent due to a SciFi.com article, but recently have dropped off. (BTW, I'm not the author :) If you get any more marketing ideas or tips, let me know so I can pass them along.