Do dragons sell fantasy?

Mark Robson

Dragon Writer
Re: Ask your publishing questions here

My process on deciding what to write next is based on research in schools. As I write for YA, I go to the school librarians and ask them what the young people are reading most. At the moment, they will tell you that the boys are mainly reading Anthony Horowitz, Robert Muchamore and Charlie Higson. The girls are reading Jacqueline Wilson, Malorie Blackman and Celia Rees. This knowledge gave me an inside track on what spin to take. Boys are into spies and assassins right now. Girls are more into real life, but do still like something of a fantasy element - hence Imperial Spy - a spy story with a heroine lead, set in a fantasy world. With a punchy title and the ingredients that are popular, I felt I set myself up well to succeed with the pitch.

It has been difficult for me to admit, but I have finally come to accept the fact that dragons sell fantasy books in large numbers. Hence my next pitch will be a dragon story with a difference. My question is: Is my reasoning sound? I'm sure the publishers must look at what basic themes are selling well, but do they then actively look for titles to cash in on this?

Re: Ask your publishing questions here

It's less regimented than it was ten years ago, Mark. Straightforward, post-Tolkien fantasy has seen its great days, in terms of new bestselling authors. I was at the World SF Convention in Boston about eighteen months ago and every US genre editor told me that they think Terry Goodkind was the last 'new' bestseller in the field. With George R R Martin creating far more subtle, Shakepsearean fantasy, and China Mieville moving the goalposts completely, it's a much more lively genre these days, and publishers are very happy that they aren't straitjacketed in what they acquire as they once were. Most SFF editors love the gerne and do not like stultification. Over a fifteen-year period in UK publishing, there was never a time when I thought 'Right, dragons sell, I must buy a dragon-based fantasy'. I was looking for well written, gripping novels with involving characters, wonderful settings and depth, when I looked at the fantasy field.