Help with romance

captainferret

Hi

I'm an unpublishd writer, and I'm after some help with a roamntic part of my book. A womans perspective would be great.
I have two characters (not human) guy and girl, the usual deal. To cut a long story short, guy is in a resistance type movement (think rebellion from Star Wars) and saves girl from being raped. Eventualy girl joins resistance and the two become comrades, and quite close. Guy becomes drawn to her, but doesn't want to do anthing to jeapordise thier friendship.
Now the guy is a very shy, quite type, very religious, been alone for a long time and really doesn't know a thing about women.
Girl is very strong character, a go-getter, projects a tough-girl image but has her soft side.
Guy is assigned to a mission that will take him away from the girl for years, with the possbilty he will be killed in action. At end of book I want to have them re-unite and get married, ride off into the sunset.....
My question is this: Should he reveal his feelings to her the night before he leaves on his mission? (That just seems kinda cliche to me) Or should I have it happen sooner? Bear in mind I want this to be romantic, not passionate, and on that point should I have them consummate thier love? I'm really torn on this one. Please help

i'd say reveal it sooner...would give you oppurnity to write some stuff that links how they cope.. into it kinda thing but i dunno lol

I'd personnally leave it all unspoken but obvious. Then you can keep the suspense up longer, ie will he tell her, won't he etc. I always find it a bit of a let down once they've declared undying love.

if he's shy he might be reluctant to tell her, may even making a few hic-ups along the way to telling her… may be even she might tell him or ask him what’s wrong if she’s the more dominant.

My personal opinion would be to hint at it before he leaves, then reveal it completly after he leaves. Like that episode of the Twilight Zone where the guy decides to stay on the planet, then as the plane is leaving he realizes his mistake and yells for them to turn back.

He should let the amorous cat out of the bag sooner, but she should be more reluctant to accept his overtures. He is, after all, the 'nice guy' type who never get the girl in real life. Yet readers love to see the lovable underdog win his dream girl. It makes the ultimate consummation of the affair all the sweeter.

Definitely sooner than just before he leaves.

The way I envision such a scene: Because he is shy, it takes him a considerable time to get up his courage to tell her of his feelings. When he finally does get to the point where he can tell her, he finds her, says something along the lines of "Don't say anything. Just listen." He says his piece, then says, "I don't expect you to say anything. I just wanted you to know." And he turns and leaves before she can say anything.

Time goes by, and this incident is never mentioned again. She is hesitant to say anything because she doesn't know if he has changed his mind; he does not show any hint in front of her that he ever told her anything. He doesn't say anything because she hasn't, which he interprets as her way of not hurting his feelings by saying that she doesn't feel the way he does. And this is the way it stays until he leaves on the assignment. Then, as he is leaving, he sees her watching him go and he thinks he might see something more than just friendship in the look on her face.

Sorry. This is probably completely trite and cliche-ridden, but it is what popped into my mind first when I read your scenario.:)