Emerging bleary eyed from an Erikson binge...

Iona

I haven't had the time to visit this forum much since discovering Erikson's Malazan series. Once I had finished DhG, I immediately started reading MOI and I can honestly say that it topped anything I have ever read. I don't know if this man has any limits to his imagination, but I have yet to see any evidence of it.

He further develops a lot of the characters from GOTM and having now spent time in his world, I found it much easier to negotiate my way around the complexities of the various plot lines all in the air at once. As in DhG he completely drew me into his world and made it seem real, I don't want to spoil the read for anyone, but yet again he managed to surprise me (shock me even) and engaged me in the lives of his characters like no other author.

I particularly like the way he writes about soldiers and their comraderie, he makes you love these men and then takes them into all kinds of nightmarish situations which leaves you shaken (i.e. Toc the Younger) where does he dream these ideas up? The sheer size of the world he has created to move these characters around is staggering, I no longer try to work everything out I'm just enjoying the journey, I can't put these books down.

I am now half way through the House of Chains (which I am loving) with Midnight Tides and The Bonehunters sitting waiting to be read. So glad I persevered with this author, this is intelligent, adult fantasy and a blummin' great read!

I'm a new convert so forgive the fevered evangelical enthusiasm, I haven't had time to get jaded yet (smiles).

bendoran said:
welcome to the club:)

Nice to be aboard thanks Bendoran - Have you read all the way through to Bonehunters and have you got a favourite?

Have finished House of Chains and currently reading Midnight Tides, now freely admit to being an Erikson addict - are there any support groups???

well I just realing from the end of MOI and about 200 pages into house of chains but I don't think I've ever been hit by a story in such a way I thought the ending of DHG was fantastic but MOI just blasted me away the way he writes you live with one arms host and the gray swords and Toc the youngers journey and it just blows u away I am quite a recent convert as well but what a story I have to say I did have a lump in my throat at the end phew intense stuff

Thank you Green - a positive plethora of Erikson goodies on that site, sufficient to keep any addict busy!

Just be very, very careful. Once the thoughtful thread about Kruppe turns into a question of "who is harder - Icarium after a curry or Pust with one hand tied behind his back?", then run! Run away! There's a lot of that goes on over there :)

"You don't have to be a crack addict to be a member of these boards... but it helps"

Never a truer word spoken.

MoI was a very tough read for me. I loved every minute of it, but it left me so...drained, in the end. I felt as if I had actually been on the campaign with these people, and the losses they suffer in consequence just about undid me. There were several times in the last few hundred pages where I just had to set the book aside to indulge in a good cry (sobbing, wailing, gnashing of teeth, the works :) ).

I can't remember any other books I've read that so completely *earned* their emotional payoff the way MoI and DHG did.

I envy y'all being able to move on to the next book right away, though. After finishing MoI, I've had to switch to some lighter reads to avoid utter burnout. :)

DHG and MOI had me crying buckets, Once started on GOTM I couldn't even think of reading another book until I'd read MT and found it very difficult to get into anything else.It seemed I had to wait an age for BH in reality it was only 6 months.

Jen526 said:
MoI was a very tough read for me. I loved every minute of it, but it left me so...drained, in the end. I felt as if I had actually been on the campaign with these people, and the losses they suffer in consequence just about undid me.

I think MoI probably has the biggest emotional impact (the end of DG is close, but MoI spreads the impact over more of the book). However, probably the most grueling single sequence is the bit in Y'Gathan in The Bonehunters.

Jen526 said:
MoI was a very tough read for me. I loved every minute of it, but it left me so...drained, in the end. I felt as if I had actually been on the campaign with these people, and the losses they suffer in consequence just about undid me......

...I envy y'all being able to move on to the next book right away, though. After finishing MoI, I've had to switch to some lighter reads to avoid utter burnout. :)

I know what you mean about it being emotionally draining. I frequently have tears running down my face. So much so that my family think I'm a bit touched...and you ought to see the looks I get on the train!...But I don't care, I am so in love with the whole world and the characters! (So much so that I have now got the money together for Night of Knives! Can't wait.)

I have to force myself to read other books during my seemingly permamnent rereads. I described rereading them to a friend the other day as a guilty pleasure. I know that there are other books out there I should be reading, so I do feel guilty everytime I pick up MoI or DG et al (Coltaine/Squint, my poor, poor Squint). Sorry, that happens quite a lot these days...must...go...and...lie ...down...in ...a ...dark room...

Lostara said:
(So much so that I have now got the money together for Night of Knives! Can't wait.)
There is a mass release of Night of Knives now schedualed for 2007. It'll still be expensive, but not as dear as it is at the moment.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Piman25 Book Discussion 45