finally had time to read the book!

Mayhs

i posted here a long time ago conerning gardens of the moon...ive finally had time to read it and i have to say it is a pretty amazing book...ive got around 30 pages to go so its not entirely finished

but there are a few...how should i put this? um theres a few annoyances...

for one he is so episodic (which is good becuase you want to read more/keeps the story flowing/etc.) but he doesnt leave time for character indulgence/doesnt let the characters portray their emotions fully

its a bit vague but i managed to work most of it out

thats all i can think of right now but otherwise the book is very fast paced once your 'in it', the description is quite intricate in places, again he doesnt give himself the time to really do A LOT of description which is a good and bad thing...and the characters/world is amazing...i like it so much because its so human, theres the possibility of anything happening

please discuss:)
Thnx
Mayhs

Don't stress, there's further character development, humour and most loose ends are tied by book's end.

GOTM is good but the remainder go up a notch or three in quality IMO.

Enjoy!....:D

good good:D

yeh ive found the book quite humorous at times and some of the ethics talked about by mammot are very interesting:)

Wasn't sure about GOTM when I read it, but found the books got progressively better as they go along, reading House of Chains currently and it's brilliant.

I also enjoy the humour in these books and there is plenty of it in the rest of the series - you've got a lot to look forward to! (smiles)

i love how the book can draw you in no matter what youre doing:)

spoiler if you havent finished the first book

is the jaghut tyrant dead? i understand that he went into mammots body and was killed because of the bombs that are harmful when the warrens are open and then it was taken in by that azaith ot something cant remember the name....

and btw what the hell is that house thing and what happened to the acorn the adjunct burried...is it the azaith?

The acorn was the Jaghut's Finnest, which is basically a focus for the Jaghut's power - he had a load of it "stored" in the acorn. The Azath take the form of houses and arise when there is a big focus of power... so basically the Finnest Azath House (as it is now called) grew up out of the Jaghut's Finnest. You learn more about the Azath in later books.

The Jaghut is not dead, he's now a guardian of the Finnest House. But you don't see him again until Memories of Ice. He's not a big player anymore (at least, not so far :)).

i became so excited when he came into the book due to his power...i was looking forward to a huge dual with him rake and a couple of thousand helpless mortals:p but rakes fight with the galayn lord or something was pretty amazing to say the least:D

but i just found it slightly disappointing when i read about his demise...the only reasoning behind it is erikson ran out of steam;) (im not dissing him - hes one of the best authors ive ever read)...

I really did feel a bit "pissed off" at the start of each new novel in this series because they usually seemed to go off in some entirely new direction that had perhaps been mentioned once or twice in the past.

However after the 2nd or 3rd chapter of each new novel I was so totally into the new storyline and characters that I had completely forgotten why I was ever "pissed off" in the first place. The story is so vast in terms of timelines.

Rahl

Rahl Windsong said:
I really did feel a bit "pissed off" at the start of each new novel in this series because they usually seemed to go off in some entirely new direction that had perhaps been mentioned once or twice in the past.

However after the 2nd or 3rd chapter of each new novel I was so totally into the new storyline and characters that I had completely forgotten why I was ever "pissed off" in the first place. The story is so vast in terms of timelines.

Rahl

Exactly the same feeling here. Currently reading Midnight Tides and was so annoyed when I looked at the character list for it, but love the book now that i'm actually getting into it.

lol my bro just read the summary on wikipedia and it makes it sound 're;;y bad' anyone want to scna through it and report back?:p

The problem with a book like this is that it's too complicated to do justice to in a summary. Just give your brother a slap and tell him to read it:D

I don't think it's that complicated, really, it just has multiple plot lines. I've never understood that criticism of the book (I know you're not critting it, Cal, but this is what a lot of people have said about it).

He doesn't help himself with a lengthy flashback so near the start of the book, but I guess to get it published he needed the story to have that drama right from the start, so the build up had to come a little later on.

Rane Longfox said:
The problem with a book like this is that it's too complicated to do justice to in a summary. Just give your brother a slap and tell him to read it:D

lol *goes to slap brother* nope e still wont listen...well i guess its his loss:p he is adament that robin hobb=better than steven erikson...how foolish people are these days:D