rose and thorns 2nd bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

violetann

please crit on what you think of it and any spelling and grammour if you have time:
"
After about half an hour of treading through the sewers they came to a large tunnel with a canal with another pipe submerged under dark brown water with steps leading down into the water. He stopped for a second.
“You better catch your breath here... there won’t be much air where were going for a while” he proclaimed to her taking off a large water proof leather sack from his back.
“Going where? What do you mean not much air where were going?” she questioned looking around for another none submerged exit.
He proceeded to take out some thick long strips of leather and two round battered cup like shaped leather with straps either end.
“Where do you think? To a nice candle lit supper with some aristocrats?” sarcastically he replied as he started to take off his shoes, cloak and shirt and place them in the bag.
“Wait you don’t expect ME... to go into that do you?” Alinys replied with discussed at the thought of that dirty faeces infested water. She couldn’t even see the bottom of it. Though if she could Alinys didn’t think it would consol her much. Perish the thought of what’s down there.
“If you take off your dress and put it in this bag it won’t get dirty” inconsolably as he finished folding them up into the sack.
“Don’t be discussing you pervert! I would not remove my clothing in front of any man!” Alinys asserted folding her arms attempting to maintain some of her dignified air even in a place like this.
“Fine, let it get dirty. I don’t care. Don’t blame me when you stink.” Rolling his eyes and flinging the bag on his back.
He passed her one of the battered and worn leather strips and leather bowls. “Here take these. Place the strip over your eyes and the cup tightly over your mouth and nose. It’ll stop the sewer water from getting into your eyes and blinding you. The other will stop it from getting in your mouth and nose so you don’t drink or get any in your lungs. Unless there not fitting enough for you. I’m sorry there not silken and diamond encrusted.” He criticized as he placed the cup over his mouth and tied it around the back of his head over his thick short brown hair.
Alinys did not speak. She for once felt a little embarrassed for presuming wrong. She normally had lots of suitors proclaiming there love for her but here this was all nothing. Perhaps, what the servant girl’s had gossiped about, when they thought she could not hear them was true: ‘did you hear?’ one would say
‘Hear what about those new suitors for Miss Alinys?’
‘Yeah! It was a right laugh to watch them prance, though ya heard em after joking about what they was gonna do after the marriage. How they hoped it would put em up to the next in line for council jobs and such’
‘Oh yeah I forgot about that. No wonder she has so many, although I wouldn’t like to have to live with her though even if it is a great job... I’ll be glad when she does go off and marry. No more of her phoney help the poor balls and such... She really gets on my nerves at times. If she really cared she’d give us more pay for a start or help out old Peterson and his wife... ya know when he got sick they didn’t even help and pay him the money for the medicine.. Five gold it was for it... five gold I’ve see some of her stupid poem which cost more than that!’
‘Shhhh… quiet down ya don’t want to annoy them... It is kind of sad though. It seams the only true love she gets is from those notes.’ those comments now echoed through her mind. She thought they were just jealous and greedy. She use to think they paid them well they must be just greedy. Those servants don’t understand love.
She placed the cup over her nose and lips and tied it behind her long jet black hair. Then placed the long piece of warn out leather slowly over her dark hazel eyes. After he had also secured the leather over his eyes he grabbed her hand and walked down the steps guiding her into the cold thick stagnant water.
As she walked clutching hands she felt the slimy thick water touch her feet. She could even feel parts of unmentionable things touch her pampered soft smooth creamy skin. As they walked further and further into this waste she struggled more and more to wade through it. The smell... the smell of it all was horrendous worse then the rest of the sewer.
By the time her other arm reached the wall she could no longer reach the bottom of the canal. The vile slimy water was pressing down on to her chest... She wanted to be sick but she couldn’t, if she was the cup would fill up and what little air in there would go. They stopped at the wall near the submerged pipe.
“Get any air you need. We’re going to go under. What ever you do don’t stop swimming and hold on to me. Are you ready?” He spoke very seriously to her this time.
“Yes” regrettably Alinys replied. She wished she didn’t have to go under it. The stench and the feeling of being in this filth turned her stomach.
They swam under and the deep slimy water consumed them as they swam into the pipe in the stone sewer wall. She clung on to him as hard as she could as she swam with one hand and held the cup on to her face with the other. Oh please don’t let this cup fall off she thought. It was the only thing stopping the dirty sewer water from flooding over her mouth and up into her nose. They swam following the twists and terns of the pipe in there blind struggle. The water seamed to get thicker and thicker and the path longer and longer as there thirst for the sweet taste of life giving air got worse and worse. She felt like she was going to drown in this sludge. Alinys struggled away searching for air. As she struggled to the top of the pipe finding there was no air or way out she clawed and kicked all around her, like an animal trapped in a cage. He grabbed her and forced her to continue. Alinys struggled and strained to get a way from him. Forgetting all he had said to her. She needed air she needed it desperately. But he kept a strong hold of her they were almost out.
Just as they reached the end of the pipe she broke free. Her head pierced through the thick film of the water and she ripped off the leather cup from her ooze covered face, to gasp a breath of air. He rose to the surface too and pulled back the leather cup from his mouth. He swam over to her and held her in his arms as she gasped for air. They slowly swam over to the stone bricked embankment and pulled themselves up on to it.
"

violetann said:
please crit on what you think of it and any spelling and grammour if you have time:
"
After about half an hour of treading through the sewers they came to a large tunnel with a canal with another pipe submerged under dark brown water with steps leading down into the water.
Sentence needs tightening up. Too many "with"s, two "water"s practically next to each other, and too long without punctuation
He stopped for a second.
“You better catch your breath here... there won’t be much air where were
where we're
going for a while” he proclaimed to her taking off
no "off"
a large water proof
waterproof
leather sack from his back.
“Going where? What do you mean not much air where were
another "where we're"
going?” she questioned
comma
looking around for another
comma
none submerged
non-sumerged
He proceeded to take out some thick long strips of leather and two round battered cup like shaped leather with straps either end.
perhaps "two battered leather cups with straps on either end", although the "end" of a cup isn't very clear, either
“Where do you think? To a nice candle lit supper with some aristocrats?” sarcastically he replied as he started to take off his shoes, cloak and shirt and place them in the bag.
“Wait
full stop
you don’t expect ME... to go into that do you?” Alinys replied with discussed
disgust
at the thought of that dirty
comma, faeces-infested
faeces infested water. She couldn’t even see the bottom of it. Though if she could
though, if she had been able to; oh, everyone understood it as it was
Alinys didn’t think it would consol
console
her much. Perish the thought of what’s down there.
“If you take off your dress and put it in this bag it won’t get dirty” inconsolably
I'm not sure what this adverb was supposed to be "insensitively?", "immovably?". I'm just certain he is not in need of consolation
as he finished folding them up into the sack.
The "them" he's just finished folding were about four paragraphs ago. Possibly just "loading" or "pacling" the sack, or some mention of his clothes?
“Don’t be discussing
disgusting, comma
you pervert! I would not remove my clothing in front of any man!” Alinys asserted
comma
folding her arms
comma
attempting to maintain some of her dignified air
comma
even in a place like this.
“Fine, let it get dirty. I don’t care. Don’t blame me when you stink.” Rolling his eyes and flinging the bag on his back.
He passed her one of the battered and worn leather strips and leather bowls. “Here take these. Place the strip over your eyes and the cup tightly over your mouth and nose. It’ll stop the sewer water from getting into your eyes and blinding you. The other will stop it from getting in your mouth and nose so you don’t drink or get any in your lungs. Unless there
they're
not fitting enough for you. I’m sorry there
they're
not silken and diamond encrusted.” He criticized as he placed the cup over his mouth and tied it around the back of his head over his thick short brown hair.
Alinys did not speak. She for once felt a little embarrassed for presuming wrong. She normally had lots of suitors proclaiming there love for her but here this was all nothing. Perhaps, what the servant girl’s
no apostrophe
had gossiped about, when they thought she could not hear them was true: ‘did you hear?’ one would say
‘Hear what about those new suitors for Miss Alinys?’
‘Yeah! It was a right laugh to watch them prance, though ya heard em after joking about what they was gonna do after the marriage. How they hoped it would put em up to the next in line for council jobs and such’
‘Oh yeah I forgot about that. No wonder she has so many, although I wouldn’t like to have to live with her though
no "though" (or eliminate the earlier "although", comma
even if it is a great job... I’ll be glad when she does go off and marry. No more of her phoney help the poor
perhaps inverted commas around "help for the poor", so we don't try and decode the "poor balls"
balls and such... She really gets on my nerves at times. If she really cared she’d give us more pay for a start or help out old Peterson and his wife... ya know when he got sick they didn’t even help and pay him the money for the medicine.. Five gold it was for it... five gold
full stop
I’ve see some of her stupid poem which cost more than that!’
‘Shhhh… quiet down ya don’t want to annoy them... It is kind of sad though. It seams
seems
the only true love she gets is from those notes.’ those comments now echoed through her mind. She
had thought
thought they were just jealous and greedy. She use to
used to
think they paid them well they must be just greedy. Those servants don’t understand love.
She placed the cup over her nose and lips and tied it behind her long jet black hair. Then placed the long piece of warn
worn
out leather slowly over her dark hazel eyes. After he had also secured the leather over his eyes he grabbed her hand and walked down the steps guiding her into the cold thick stagnant water.
As she walked
comma
clutching hands
comma
she felt the slimy thick water touch her feet. She could even feel parts of unmentionable things touch her pampered soft smooth creamy skin. As they walked further and further into this waste she struggled more and more to wade through it. The smell... the smell of it all was horrendous
comma
worse then
than
the rest of the sewer.
By the time her other arm reached the wall she could no longer reach the bottom of the canal. The vile slimy water was pressing down on to her chest... She wanted to be sick but she couldn’t, if she was the cup would fill up and what little air in there would go. They stopped at the wall near the submerged pipe.
“Get any air you need. We’re going to go under. What ever you do don’t stop swimming
comma (otherwise it means the opposite)
and hold on to me. Are you ready?” He spoke very seriously to her this time.
“Yes” regrettably
regretfully
Alinys replied. She wished she didn’t have to go under it. The stench and the feeling of being in this filth turned her stomach.
They swam
dived under? (genuine question)
under and the deep slimy water consumed them as they swam into the pipe in the stone sewer wall. She clung on to him as hard as she could as she swam with one hand and held the cup on to her face with the other.
difficult picture;one hand holding mask, one hand flapping, Third hand clinging? Or elbow of first?
Oh please don’t let this cup fall off she thought. It was the only thing stopping the dirty sewer water from flooding over her mouth and up into her nose. They swam following the twists and terns
turns
of the pipe in there
their
blind struggle. The water seamed
seemed
to get thicker and thicker and the path longer and longer as there
their
thirst for the sweet taste of life giving
life-giving
air got worse and worse. She felt like she was going to drown in this sludge. Alinys struggled away searching for air. As she struggled to the top of the pipe
comma
finding there was no air or way out
comma
she clawed and kicked all around her, like an animal trapped in a cage. He grabbed her and forced her to continue. Alinys struggled and strained to get a way
away
from him. Forgetting all he had said to her. She needed air
semicolon
she needed it desperately. But he kept a strong hold of her
It's either "kept hold of her" or "kept a strong hold on her" full stop
they were almost out.
Just as they reached the end of the pipe she broke free. Her head pierced through
no "through"
the thick film of
film on the water
the water and she ripped off
no "off"
the leather cup from her ooze covered face, to gasp a breath of air. He rose to the surface too and pulled back the leather cup from his mouth. He swam over to her and held her in his arms as she gasped for air. They slowly swam over to the stone bricked embankment
stone or brick? And can you have an "embankment" underground? (if they're now in the open, ignore the precedent remark)
and pulled themselves up on to it."

Problems with homophones; I suppose they're not going to go away. Punctuation, though; if you read through it and put punctuation everywhere there's a natural pause, you might end up with too many commas, but I suspect not. One or two technical quibbles; add "supple" to the description of the leather somewhere (most leather is, quite litterally, hard as old boots, and wouldn't mould to the face at all, And I don't understand why they put the masks on so early; unless there's some sort of flapping valve, they can't get air during the period they're immersing themselves (there won't be enough air id a device like that to make any difference) So when he asks if she is ready, she should take a deepbreath before he attaches the mouth/nose covering; details, details.
I'm not going to guarantee I found all the problems, and there are one or two phrases (treading through the sewers""the deep, slimy water consumed them) that arent actually wrong, but don't work well for me; but we'll wait for the more artistic side of the community to give their opinions on those. And I've left the dialogue alone (apart from a few commas to let them breath), considering that you were deliberately letting the grammar slip for the less well educated members of society.
By the way, if any of my corrections isn't comprehensible, feel free to ask; wmy explanations are at times somewhat obscure.:cool:

Thanks for the crit... I think your right about explaining the leather a bit more: it's a little confusing at the moment. About the swimming part I wasn't sure if you could dive into something with the coincidence of custard but I’m not sure on that part myself.

has anyone got anything to say about it general, please?

Actually, you can dive into custard. I did the sound for an open air party where they'd filled a swimming pool (quite a small one) with chocolate mousse (he throws very strange parties; I could… no, better not) into which people in various states of dress or undress dived, jumped, and in which they swam (proving your verb not impossible) and frolicked. And splashed each other and those in the vicinity. I imagine that the consistency (not to mention the colour) of that would match up quite nicely; have to remember for the film. :eek:

I really liked it and well chris did the spelling/grammar work. Not much left here. I really liked how you could hold the attention of the reader (well me), while in fact your story only slowly advances. It's one book I'd love to read.:)
(actually I envy you, because I'm still searching to keep the balance between needless info and story progress correct.)

Thanks for the crit.
Though I only ever see it as being a book on my pc, since, I didn't think anyone would be that interested in it.

I’m glad it kept your attention. I had to write the ideas down and I wanted to write them in a way that there was: anyways something new or interesting that happened on a page or something ever few paragraphs, to keep people interested. Since there aren’t many books (that I’ve found yet please tell me if you know of them), which have something happen major ever page or two... So for someone like me who isn't a very strong reader... it makes it hard to keep reading since you take up a lot of energy and often have to read something two, three or even more times(in the worst cases) to understand it, so you need a little reward. Not that the other books aren’t interesting(infact i love a lot of books, but it's a real strugle to read them, if they don't even if they book in general is intresting.) but you tend to lose the plot completely if you don’t have something to kick your brain into thinking: “oh, this has happened, I wonder if they will…”

Status
Not open for further replies.