Hmmm, no Anansi Boys...

I just started reading 'Anansi Boys' and it is going well so far. I really enjoyed 'Stardust', next book I am reading by Neil Gaiman is 'American Gods' x
For me American Gods is Neil's finest Novel to date. Hope you enjoy it.

A very satisfying read.

Anansi Boys is lighter than American Gods, I agree.

It's hilarious--oh, it made me laugh--but it is also more profound than it seems.

Fat Charlie is just an English Joe in the beginning, but later on he embraces his "other" origins: his African heritage (that happens exactly when the reader realises that Charlie is black). Now Charlie isn't ashamed anymore by his dad's embarassing style. He can sing. He can wear a funny hat, as his father did. He's not just Charlie + Spider in the end. Now he is a man who doesn't need to hate his father to affirm his identity and be himself. He's a fully grown person.

I loved American Gods, but this light little book has a structure, with a... (hold your guns!)... a plot.

Last edited:
I am 150 pages in and was just wondering does it pick up? Is Fat Charlie going on an adventure coz the cover looks like it points to that direction or is it just the day to day of his life? Am I supposed to read American Gods before Anansi Boys?

American Gods does take place before Anansi Boys but Anansi Boys is a completely individual book and you don't need to have read American Gods to read Anansi Boys

I finished Anasi Boys over the weekend and was glad I stuck with it. It was way different to what I normally read but I must admit it was very enjoyable and you really feel for old Fat Charlie with all the trials and tribulations he has to go through. I eagerly await American Gods which is in my TBR pile. What is American Gods like compared to Anansi Boys? Neil Gaiman is fast becoming one of my fave authors...

American Gods is a brilliant book. At some points it does slow a little but it is all quite well written and so you don't notice that too much. American Gods is one of my favourite books of all time. I would say it is better then Anansi Boys but they are both quite a different read and so hard to compare.