Armageddon 2419 AD

Jives

I'm rereading this classic for the umpteenth time. It's absolutely wonderful. This is the book that the whole "Buck Rogers" thing was based upon, but it is infinitely more aggressive and interesting than any of the TV series or movies.

A guy from today is accidentally gassed in a uranium mine. He wakes up hundreds of years in the future. What's left of America is dominated by the Hans and their "dis" rays. A ray that is capable of disolving atomic bonds.

The downtrodden Americans live under the forest canopy much like a band of Robin Hood's merry men. Best of all they travel with "inertron" backpacks which cancel out their weight and make treetop-to-treetop jumps of miles possible.

It's just a great adventure yarn and I highly recommend it!

I'm rereading this classic for the umpteenth time. It's absolutely wonderful. This is the book that the whole "Buck Rogers" thing was based upon, but it is infinitely more aggressive and interesting than any of the TV series or movies.

I wasn't aware of this book or the Buck connection. Reading your description though, it's easy to see where most of the 1939 Rogers serial came from. Methinks I'll have to hunt a copy of this down:)

It's just a great adventure yarn and I highly recommend it!

I'd just like to second this reccomendation. If I remember rightly it's by Phillip Frances Nolan.

I remember it well from reading it as a kid. Buck is a WWI vet and uses his combat experience from that period to teach artillery techniques and the like. I had a very cool old paperback copy of it that I probably haven't seen in 35 years. I occasionally remember it and look forit when in a used bookstore, but have never fpund a copy.

Kevin

Right name; wrong spelling... but that's a technical point: Philip Francis Nowlan; and, as you can see, the thing is still in print:

Amazon.com: philip francis nowlan: Books

Yes, I read this many, many years ago myself, and would recommend it to anyone who loves the sf of the period. (Readers who are only used to the modern beast would be another matter.)

I read this on almost 30 years ago. Excellent book.:cool: