Naomi Novik

elvet

Easily amused
Supporter
I just read a mini-review of His Majesty's Dragon.

" Master and Commander meets Dragonheart in a gripping adventure full of rich detail and the impossible wonder of guilded Fantasy."

It sounds intriguing. I'm not familiar with the author, and was interested in hearing any comments from our members.

I called it "Horatio Hornblower meets the Dragon Riders of Pern." Similar to the mini-review you quoted. Quite enjoyed it and looking forward to the next 2 books in the trilogy. Here in the states the next book comes out in May and the third in June, so I don't have to wait too long.

Solid debut, a book that is more enjoyable, in terms that the sum is greater than it's parts. Nothing really jumps out as paticualry outstanding, but in the end I was really delighted by the book, and couldn't bring msyef to not enjoy teh readin experience.

It's a very straight forward, linear story, that I have to admit have instances that are very cute. I thought it was a rather refreshing book featuring a dragons (which generally doesn't enthuse me). I reviewed the book in January, and actually I have a contest running where you can win this book, and the sequel Throne of Jade signed by Novik here.

I just received Throne of Jade today, and the third book Black Powder war in the mai ltoday, and hopefully will get into them next week. I think Novik is going to have a pretty successful series on her hands. It won't draw the real critical segment, but I thought it was great fun, and appeal to many.

Jay said:
Solid debut, a book that is more enjoyable, in terms that the sum is greater than it's parts. Nothing really jumps out as paticualry outstanding, but in the end I was really delighted by the book, and couldn't bring msyef to not enjoy teh readin experience.

It's a very straight forward, linear story, that I have to admit have instances that are very cute. I thought it was a rather refreshing book featuring a dragons (which generally doesn't enthuse me).
I think Novik is going to have a pretty successful series on her hands. It won't draw the real critical segment, but I thought it was great fun, and appeal to many.
Wow! Its like your reading my mind on this author. I agree with 100%.

The Temeraire series has been optioned by Peter Jackson.

Interview with Jackson about it.

It's got to be nice to be a new author and have Peter Jackson option your books!

I just finished all three books and enjoyed them; the implentation details of dragons-as-air-force were really well thought out and interesting. There's good bits of humor in the books too. Criticisms would be that the main human character, Laurence, is so stuffy and priggish at times; it fits his backstory, but it's tiresome sometimes. Also the books are very plot driven, moving from one crisis to the next.

Thank you for the links and comments everyone...as another MrCaffery fan, then I shall be putting them on my 'to get' list :)

I've enjoyed 'Temeraire', and plan on reading the next books in the series. Not the best books I've ever read, but well enough to finish the series. The last part, in Scotland I enjoyed most.

A good book, but not great. It has some very clever ideas, but imho is let down by the writing style (geez, I've never seen so many semi-colons) and the underdone characterization.

I found Temeraire to be an endearing and fascinating character though - he made the book a worthwhile read. :)