A Blackbird in Silver - Freda Warrington

Mark Robson

Dragon Writer
Anyone here read A Blackbird in Silver? I was surprised to discover that Freda wrote this when she was just sixteen. If you think Paolini was a child prodigy, then you might want to take a look at this. Eragon was OK as a book for young adults, but A Blackbird in Silver was written for the adult fantasy market. There are clues within the story that she was young when she wrote this - the plotting and description is not as polished and lyrical as her later work, but the sheer storytelling power and the strength of storyline is remarkable for one so young.

If anyone has read this, I'd be interested to discuss one or two of the characters to see what you thought. Prince Ashurek came across well to me as a hero/anti-hero, but I found I had little to no attachment to Medrian and very little to their Forluinish companion. Did anyone else find this?

I've almost finished reading the book, and I agree with everything you've said, Mark. The style, the characterization, and the dialogue are nowhere near as polished as her more recent work like Court of the Midnight King, but it's mind-boggling to think of a sixteen-year-old coming up with such a complex plot, and doing such imaginative world-building at that level of detail.

My reaction to the characters is the same as yours: Prince Ashurek is by far the most interesting. Who can resist a tortured hero with a dark and tragic past? (Certainly not me.) Medrian is just a little too contained and mysterious -- to the point of coming across as rather a blank -- but I have an idea she might begin to shine in some of the later books if more of her character and background comes out.

Teresa Edgerton said:
Prince Ashurek is by far the most interesting. Who can resist a tortured hero with a dark and tragic past? (Certainly not me.) Medrian is just a little too contained and mysterious -- to the point of coming across as rather a blank -- but I have an idea she might begin to shine in some of the later books if more of her character and background comes out.

I was ready to forgive Ashurek his dark past very quickly. He has the stature of a great hero, but it is hard to see him ever failing at what he sets his mind to. I haven't yet decided whether this is a good, or a bad thing.

I sort of liked the idea of the Guardians - particularly the idea that two would become so attached to the world that they would choose to abide there, even knowing what was likely to happen. That they are powerless to intervene seems convenient, but I think Freda paints their frustration at this quite well. The idea that 'the big bang' resulted in all good spiralling outwards whilst all evil became concentrated was mind-blowing! I wonder where she got that from. It's not something I've ever seen in fantasy or sci fi before.

'... rather a blank' is a great way to describe how I felt about Medrian. There is sort of a void in my mind where there should be a character, but I can't help feeling that once again, Freda has cleverly manipulated me into feeling this. I felt absolutely nothing for Medrian as a character as I was reading. As you have already intimated, though, I get the impression that my feelings for her will grow as the series progresses.

I found the Gorethrians and "their almost aesthetic delight in war and bloodshed" to be quite fascinating, and despite the fact that their Empire is falling to pieces by the end of the book, I would hope to see more of Ashurek's countrymen and to learn a lot more about them in the later books.

Even though the dialogue is a little bit awkward at times, and the frequent point of view shifts can be confusing, there are places where the descriptions and the imagery are really quite wonderful, particularly in some of the action sequences:

"And then a great brown tidal wave came careering towards them, made now of rock, now water, now glass. Flocks of screaming things came with it. At this the sweating horses left their riders no choice but took off like a whirlwhind through the polluted, pulsing atmosphere. As they galloped, the trees and leech-like apes overtook them and vanished. The beats of aching light grew slower and heavier, paining the senses."

I am a little late joining this discussion, but...

Hopefully you would find that the second volume, A Blackbird in Darkness, explains why Medrian is like she is - she has her reasons, believe me - and would help the reader understand her, if not actually like her! The two books should be read as a pair really as they tell a complete story. It was down to the original publisher that it ended up as two. So if you've only read the first, you've only got half the story...

It's great to read your comments! Yes, I hope I have improved as a writer since the early days, but the Blackbird books still have a special place in my heart! I'd really like to see 'em in a one-volume paperback one day.

Hi, Freda, thanks for joining the discussion - great to see you here. I wonder if you remember how you came up with the 'big bang' concept I mentioned earlier in the thread? I found it fascinating that you would show all things inherently good spreading outwards from the cosmic explosion, whilst all evil concentrated at the centre. Was this something you had come across somewhere else? Or was this your own device?

I've just managed to pick up a copy of the 1986 NEL paperback of "A Blackbird in Silver", so am looking forward to getting into this over Christmas - especially after seeing the really positive comments about it here. Once I've read it, I may think up some questions for Freda, if that's OK?

I'm sure Freda will be delighted to answer your questions, Patrick. I prompt her to look in every now and then if something's been hanging around a while. She's not a frequent visitor, but she does look in from time to time, and is always willing to discuss her work with readers. I look forward to seeing what you think of her early work.

Hello folks, I am around again, so if you have any questions just ask!

I wonder if you remember how you came up with the 'big bang' concept I mentioned earlier in the thread? I found it fascinating that in 'Blackbird in Silver' you showed all things inherently good spreading outwards from the cosmic explosion, whilst all evil concentrated at the centre. Was this something you had come across somewhere else? Or was this your own device?