Piers Antony

I read the first three, maybe four, but lost interest. His Bio of a Space Tyrant series was okay though, to a 13-year-old.

Same here - I loved the first one at the time but lost interest after a couple. Loved Bio from start to finish (well, Nos.1-5, anyway - I think he added on to it much later), but probably wouldn't now - almost curious enough to give them a re-read to find out, though.

Split Infinity was his best series, I think. I did read On a Pale Horse though and liked it. Never read many Xanth, though I may address that at some point.

Was that the one with Stile going back and forth between the fantasy and science fiction worlds - Adept, Apprentice, something something. I really enjoyed those at the time, too. I think Bio was my favorite but the Stile books may well have been next. I wasn't as high on Xanth as it seems the world is, with its forty-some volumes, but I did read and enjoy several of the early ones.

Does it bother anyone else that the author's name is misspelled (both forename and surname!) in the thread title and original post? Or is just me?

Definitely not just you!

Was that the one with Stile going back and forth between the fantasy and science fiction worlds - Adept, Apprentice, something something. I really enjoyed those at the time, too. I think Bio was my favorite but the Stile books may well have been next. I wasn't as high on Xanth as it seems the world is, with its forty-some volumes, but I did read and enjoy several
Those are they. Split Infinity, Blue Adept and Justaposition, in the original trilogy. Enjoyable as I recall.

In addition to having a mild affection for most of the aformentioned PIERS ANTHONY (do it Bick) series, I liked his Battle Circle trilogy, an odd but attractive take of barbarian/post-apocalyptic society.
Also liked Macroscope about the only SF that I know of that successfully incorporates something I generally abhor, astrology, into a effective SF.
It's long and wanders around, solving problems that (in the book) were just described as insoluble. A Hugo nominee.

Some time ago I read that Anthony had a difficult time publishing non-Xanth stuff as publishers saw those as sure fire sellers and were just not interested in more creative stuff. Anthony has changed publishers a number of times, perhaps as a product of that treatment. Wikipedia says that his departures had to do with editorial meddling.

Last edited: