Combined forces of Anne and Todd

Guardian

Hello, I am new to the ways of the Forum and hope that I don't offend anyone by the weilding powers of my keyboard.....just kidding. I have read Dragon's Kin and Dragons Blood and was wondering what other readers have thought about the books. Likes...dislikes that sort of thing. I am at present waiting to read Dragons Fire, it sounds pretty good.

I've seen those books on the shelves here but am yet to pick them up. I'm a bit of a fan of Anne's original Pern series though, so interesting to know how her son fares, especially with Dragons Blood which is a solo effort in Pern.

I'm scared to pick up the Todd books, actually. People whose opinions I respect say that Todd's work contradicts so much of what Anne wrote in the earliest books that it has people shaking their heads. I guess I shouldn't judge before reading myself, but I'm afraid Todd'll ruin Pern for me, and I don't want to do that.

Anne's own short story Beyond Between very nearly ruined Moreta for me, and that's my favorite Pern book. Now I just ignore BB completely.

I've read all of Anne McCaffrey's books about the Dragonriders of Pern, but I can't quite get the same enthusiasm for Todd's books, even though they're set in the same world. When I read Dragon's Kin, it felt like a very long franchise was being continued simply for the sake of the franchise, so I'm somewhat reluctant to read Dragon's Blood.
I think I was drawn more to Anne's earlier books than the later ones, and although I liked Skies of Pern, it just seemed a bit too long. When Todd took over, the style of writing changed somewhat as well, and part of the charm went out of it for me. I'll keep reading, I suppose, but I don't think it'll be the same.

Hi guardian - welcome to the Chronicles. Intersted in all that's been said in this thread so far. Haven't read those books yet but love books about dragons so will be visiting the book store and checking out the blurb.

Personally, I didn't think DB was as bad as some people made out.
Yes, there are inconsistencies, yes, the style of writting is different, but there's still that "Pern" feel to it.
I'll reserve final judgement for the later books.......

I haven't actually read it yet, so maybe I should be more open minded. After all, it was the idea of dragons living with humans that started me reading these books in the first place, and if someone wants to carry on a storyline that I love, then I shouldn't be so judgemental.
Thank you, Koffeekat. I think I'm going to find Dragon's Blood, read it and hopefully enjoy it. :)

Todd seems to have a good grasp of Pern itself, but there is no mistaking him for Ann. She had some nice things to say about him in the foreword, but he is her son.
I didn't hate DB. I didn't love it either. Pern is not Todd's world. I liked him, but I think he needs to come out from behind mummy's skirts.

I enjoyed all of Anne's Pern Books. I will borrow Todd's book from the library and see if I like it... otherwise I shall always be wondering if I missed out on a good book...

Todd isn't a bad writer, but I really don't like that Anne let him take over the writing. His style is very different, and I just can't read the books. I got used to Anne's style, and when I read the Pern one's, it just grates on my nerves, because it just doesn't 'feel right'.

have to say i love todd's books
i found he answered things anne had left untold
eg when f'lar is teaching lessa to fly between and he says about finding the body of a dragon and rider entombed in rock , todd actually brings how that happened into the story

he is not anne but i like his slant on the pern series

I quite liked DB and DK, or should I say they weren't much worse than the most recent Pern books that Anne wrote on her own, but I am really struggling to get through Dragon's Fire at the moment. I'm just about halfway through, and there has hardly been mention of a dragon or a fire yet! And as for adventure...! I don't know if I will manage to work up enough enthusiasm to finish it before it's due back to the library. Does anybody who has managed to read it all the way through think it was worth the bother?
Oh, and I agree about "Beyond Between". I too am trying to pretend that I never read it, as it ruined the Moreta story for me as well, and I thought "Moreta" was one of the most powerful books of the series.

I haven't read Dragon's Fire, but I'm the sort who can't leave a series unfinished, so it probably won't be long until I do.