Thought this was funny

GOLLUM said:
A spoof no less.....:D
On a scale of 1-10 what did you think my friend. How often does one see parody,a spoof, or satire on any of the author's here or on there work? Short of a book called Bored of the Rings none that I ever heard of.I was happy to find this and share with you all.My I do go on:eek:

genisis2 said:
How often does one see parody,a spoof, or satire on any of the author's here or on there work? Short of a book called Bored of the Rings none that I ever heard of.
I don't know of many parody or spoofs but I think Piers Anthoiny's Xanth series may come under this banner. Then there's HP Lovecraft's book of the dead "Necromonicon", which he created but doesn't actually exist as a book although many Internet junkies swear otherwise. Of course there's also the Princes Bride, a classic spoof on romance adventure set in a fantasy world by William Goldman. If you've not read it yet I can recommend it to you as it's considered a fantasy classic.

Then there's films like Spaceballs (take off Star Wars) and the like but you're right it's not often direct spoofs of existing books occur.

There's also National Lampoon's "Doon," a rollicking space adventure set on a far-away dessert planet featuring giant preztels, ancient sisterhoods and the Mauve'bib, the Universe's super chef.

Amusing, but also a case in point and one of the reasons why Wikipedia has come under such hostile scrutiny of late: no scholarly peer review of its contents so any yahoo can libel anyone and make a lot of irresponsible, unqualified statements without repercussion to themselves.

fungi from Yuggoth said:
There's also National Lampoon's "Doon," a rollicking space adventure set on a far-away dessert planet featuring giant preztels, ancient sisterhoods and the Mauve'bib, the Universe's super chef.
Ive seen it in the past but have never read it. Totally forgot about it in fact.

GOLLUM said:
I don't know of many parody or spoofs but I think Piers Anthoiny's Xanth series may come under this banner. Then there's HP Lovecraft's book of the dead "Necromonicon", which he created but doesn't actually exist as a book although many Internet junkies swear otherwise. Of course there's also the Princes Bride, a classic spoof on romance adventure set in a fantasy world by William Goldman. If you've not read it yet I can recommend it to you as it's considered a fantasy classic.

Then there's films like Spaceballs (take off Star Wars) and the like but you're right it's not often direct spoofs of existing books occur.
I havent read any Xanth in like 20 years but I dont think Piers Anthony poked any fun at any particular author or book but I could be wrong mostly puns on fantasy creatures.
Have you seen any of the Evil Dead movies? Im almost sure the the Necromicon is used to raise the dead. I have a vague memory its used in the movie.

genisis2 said:
I havent read any Xanth in like 20 years but I dont think Piers Anthony poked any fun at any particular author or book but I could be wrong mostly puns on fantasy creatures.
Have you seen any of the Evil Dead movies? Im almost sure the the Necromicon is used to raise the dead. I have a vague memory its used in the movie.
You're right it doesn't parody a specific book, rather elements of the Genre.

Evil Dead, now there's a memory....:D The movie did indeed feature a Book Of The Dead, interestingly enough bound in human flesh and written in human blood, simliar to a recent post here actually. Not sure if it's THE Book Of The Dead ala Lovecraft though. Been such a long time since I saw this, I still remember being spooked by it at the time.

Curt Chiarelli said:
Amusing, but also a case in point and one of the reasons why Wikipedia has come under such hostile scrutiny of late: no scholarly peer review of its contents so any yahoo can libel anyone and make a lot of irresponsible, unqualified statements without repercussion to themselves.
That's probably a reasonable point but I've always found Wiki very good on things like authors and the SFF Genre in general. In fact it's quite good for a lot of things BUT I guess it helps if you know something about the topic already so that you can at least sense whether or not your being taken for a ride.

Back