Has Robert Jordan Ever Actually Met A Woman?*

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's perhaps because some of us are trying womanfully** to restrain ourselves from turning the internet blue.

** that's like manfully, only more, you know, whiny

I shall also restrain myself from wondering about what kind of women some members associate with and what kind of man provokes that kind of reaction...

As a moderator, I suppose I should be more restrained, but... to heck with it. That has got to be one of the most ridiculous generalizations I've heard in a life full of gobsmacking nitwittery. I don't question that your own experiences may have led you to that view, but a little research in general human interactions would quickly put paid to such a nonsensical stance.

And as for "overanalyzing"... it frankly doesn't matter one iota about the things you bring to his defense, because it is still rankly poor characterization, period. When not only such a number of readers, but ones from such a broad spectrum, tend to see this as a fault, it really is a case of "if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, swims like a duck, and mates with ducks, it's safe to assume it's a bleedin' duck".....

You may certainly say what you will but all the males know what I say is true. I'm not saying that it is all of the time but every woman does show this side to them once in awhile, just like every male, including myself shows undesirable qualities at different times. All Jordan did was make these qualities extreme for the purpose of his novels. You can all hate on me as much as you want and I expect to get some for those comments for sure, but it won't change that all of us have a bad side to us.

As far as over-analyzing goes, many of you do this to an extreme. Instead of just letting a story take over and enjoying you tend to want to pick things apart. Just let go and read, stop poking your fingers at every single thing that you don't like. Because I can do this, I end up enjoying much of what I read, some are better than others but for the most part I allow myself to enjoy what I read.

That's perhaps because some of us are trying womanfully** to restrain ourselves from turning the internet blue.

** that's like manfully, only more, you know, whiny

I shall also restrain myself from wondering about what kind of women some members associate with and what kind of man provokes that kind of reaction...

I am a kind-hearted man, easy going, and not afraid to speak truth. I can also be mean, short-sighted, and sometimes put my foot in my mouth. Can you also name your short-comings or do you actually think that you are a perfect creature?

That's possibly the most volatile way of not starting an argument I've ever seen.

I get that but I figured that if I said that maybe people will take the time to actually think about human behavior, our pros and cons, and not immediately start the hate thread. Ha, like I said I sometimes put my foot in my mouth.

You may certainly say what you will but all the males know what I say is true.

JD Worthington is a man. Plus, he's American. You can't get more American than Texas.

So what you are saying is, if someone can behave in a certain way on occasion, it is ok to write characters which only behave in that way. Good for you - you liked these books. I stopped reading them myself and the characterisation (or lack thereof) was one of the reasons. And I was bored - really bored - so I stopped. End overanalysis.

I admit, the endless braid-tugging and the sniffs that could be heard out in the hall did annoy me considerably, but the world building was solid enough that I put up with it. On the other hand, I really think Brandon Sanderson is doing a tremendous job finishing the series. In many ways it's the best of both worlds - Jordan's world-building with Sanderson's writing. The characters aren't radically changed, but they somehow feel smoother, less annoying. Or maybe I've just become desensitized to the braid-tugging.

women in general are whiny , think they are always right, and tend to throw temper tantrums when they don't get their way. I haven't met a woman that hasn't shown that side of her.

Now it may just be me, but I detect more than a hint of a whine in that post.

and not immediately start the hate thread

There, too.

JD Worthington is a man. Plus, he's American. You can't get more American than Texas.

So what you are saying is, if someone can behave in a certain way on occasion, it is ok to write characters which only behave in that way. Good for you - you liked these books. I stopped reading them myself and the characterisation (or lack thereof) was one of the reasons. And I was bored - really bored - so I stopped. End overanalysis.

What does being American have to do with anything and being from Texas doesn't make you more American in any way.

Yes, he absolutely can write his characters any way he sees fit. His characterization is right on spot.

And of course you ignored the 'he's a man' bit, which was the relevant part disagreeing with you. I don't object to your opinions, dlsevern, as much as I personally may disagree with them, but kindly reduce the size of the ridiculously large brush you're painting the masculine gender with. Statements like 'all males everywhere know x', where 'x' is a personal opinion, just don't promote useful discussion. In short, don't put words in the mouth of half the world to try to shore up an individual opinion.

And of course you ignored the 'he's a man' bit, which was the relevant part disagreeing with you. I don't object to your opinions, dlsevern, as much as I personally may disagree with them, but kindly reduce the size of the ridiculously large brush you're painting the masculine gender with. Statements like 'all males everywhere know x', where 'x' is a personal opinion, just don't promote useful discussion. In short, don't put words in the mouth of half the world to try to shore up an individual opinion.

I wasn't ignoring it at all, I just didn't see it as relevant, if he tries to say that he hasn't witnessed the women around him doing these things then he is blinded by their manipulating ways.

Oooookay. That's certainly effective. "Those that don't agree with me are blind, therefore my belief is fact." Got it. Thanks!

Post removed for consideration by the moderators.

Thread closed until further notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.