first book

Gardens of the Moon.Some people find it a little confusing but just go with the flow everything ties up nicely in the end.

Although I don't understand why they find it so confusing, I was completly hooked after the first 30-50 pages:)

havent been here for ages:(

but ive nearly finished gardens of the moon even though i started it ages ago..ive been really busy,,,i have to say its amazing go and read it now!

its so good..i pity people who havent read it:p

Another convert coming up I see :D Hope you enjoy reading Erikson, SA..:)

Just started reading Gardens of the Moon, not far in yet but it's already shaping up to be an awesome book.

I really enjoyed GotM, but it wasn't until DhG that I got hooked.

GotM had too many cliches (or if not cliches, then just ideas that were too familiar). Floating mountains, Elves (well, the Tiste Andii seemed very much like elves to me), giant hounds, magic heirarchy based on cards, thieves on rooftops etc.

It had some great ideas though, too, though some of these were only glimpses of what would come later - Jaghut and T'lan Imass, Kruppe and K'rul, Draconus and the cart, Mr. Delat.

I think Erikson's writing developed a huge amount in the time between GotM and DhG, and his ideas developed too.

I'm such a sheep! I saw some folks talking about bonehunters and well....you can't start a series half way through, so I've just gone and made on ebay for GotM! :)

purple_kathryn said:
I'm such a sheep! I saw some folks talking about bonehunters and well....you can't start a series half way through, so I've just gone and made on ebay for GotM! :)

It's a choice you won't regret, though some people think GoTM a little hard to start with, stick with it and you'll find it's a great book. And then it just gets better!

Read Gardens of the Moon first, definitely, and expect for it to be a bit confusing at the start. Whatever your opinion on it, I would advise you then to read Deadhouse Gates, because of the massive increase in writing quality between the two. Read them in order, but don't give up. Hope you enjoy it.

BTW it's by Steven Erikson not by Steve Erickson, who happens to be another, completely different fantasy author. Another confusing thing.

I found GOTM a really difficult read but now that I am on my 4th book of the series I don't think I have read a better series of books and as an ardent David Gemmell fan, I never thought I would say that.

It took me a while to get used this complex world, but the books get progressively better as more of the story unfolds, I just had to accept that there will be unanswered questions and enjoy the ride. So far I haven't been disappointed!

p.s. I would definitely read them in order.

I'm finding GotM difficult to get through but I only have less than 100 pages to go so I think I'll finish it and then reread it because I think I'll have a better understanding about what is going on. There are some really promissing characters that I would really like to find out what happens with them. Tattersail and Rallick Norm are my favs.

I finished GOTM a few days ago. A couple of the reasons people may have found it confussing are:
1, Kruppe talking in the third person and then doing an action doesn't work.
2, Stevenson sometimes finishes a paragraph then without warning switches person/location on the next. Maybe he should start a new chapter each time he does it. Several times I'd start a new paragraph, get five or six lines in, wonder what the hell was happening and realize he'd moved onto someone or somewhere else.

You get used to both but it would be so much easier if the problems weren't there in the first place.
DHG flows much better

Last edited:
"Stevenson"? Thats a new one;)

I think the phrase you're looking for is "Lost the plot":eek:

Sorry, don't know why I wrote Stevenson *Bangs head against desk*:rolleyes:

In case my last post came over wrong, I still think Erik Stevenson (as he shall now be called;) ) is up there with the best.