Nordic epics?

goblinQueen

in the clouds
I am interested in reading fantasy epics set in the Scandinavian countries (particularly Norway & Iceland), not including the sagas, though they could include characters from the original tales. Could anyone recommend some to me? Thanks so much for any help.

I've written exactly what you're looking for, but it's no good as it is, I've got to rewrite it. It's not even a novel any more because I've cut it down to 20,000 words so far. That's a pity because I'd love to punt it over to you to see if you think it passes muster.

So, much more helpfully, Poul Anderson's 'The Broken Sword' is a good bet. I've not read it myself, not wanting to give myself other people's ideas, but I've heard very good things about it.

Not sure where you are and therefore if it's available, but you could try Kim Wilkin's 'Giants of the Frost', which is a romantic fantasy involving the Norse gods. Kim is a local Brisbane author, but I think she is published in Britain. Have a looksee, it's worth a read.

Thanks so much polymath and Culhwch for the recommendations. "The Broken Sword" appears to be more of what I am looking to read at the moment. I am not really in the mood for romantic fantasy right now, but I will keep "Giants of the Frost" noted. Has anyone read "Saga: A Novel of Medieval Iceland" by Jeff Janoda? It has excellent reviews. Thanks again for the help.

Hmm, it's more Germanic but Steve Grundy's Rhinegold is pretty good and there are corresponding Nordic myths.
HR Haggard has a great Saga-like novel called Eric Bright-Eyes.
The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul and American Gods have Nordic gods in them, so does "Expecting Someone taller" by Tom Holt I think.
Also Fred Saberhagan has a series of books about masks and one is set in medieval scandinavia.
Oh yeah, and best of all is Harry Harrison's Hammer and the Cross series. They start off in Britian but end up in Sweden or Denmark I think.

I'd been going to suggest the "Hammer and the Cross" trilogy from Harry Harrison, and the "Mother of Kings" book (and maybe even "the Merman's children") from Poul Anderson, but thought they might not be epic enough. Stil, if someone cun put forward Tom Holt, I'll put them up for consideration.;)