Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett Novel - GOOD OMENS

orionsixwings

Demosthenes
Has anyone read this? It's absolutely HILARIOUS! One of the funniest books I've ever come across. I'm loving Crowly!!! :D

I think it's massively overrated. I thought it was ok, at best. Pratchett and Gaiman have both done better stuff alone.

I quite enjoyed it, but I acknowledge that both Pratchett & Gaiman have developed and moved on as writers since then.
I've often wondered how co-authored books work (I don't mean like David & Leigh Eddings - that's just keepin' the missus happy! :) ) as you probably have to work hard to not interfer in the other writers sections & be open to criticism.

Back to the point, I liked Good Omens a lot. The 4 bikers were probably my favourite characters.

I really enjoyed Good Omens too, it was the first book I'd read by either author and it pushed me to go out and read their other works and I'm glad I did because I now enjoy both authors separately and in their own right!

I wouldn't be able to tell you my favourite character, I read it a while ago now and was preggers at the time so the book is embedded deep in my memory somewhere but I plan to re-read it very soon as I remember it made me laugh a lot!

xx

I'm 50-50 with this book. I'm not really a fan of Pratchet, which I think contributes. Heard that the darker parts of the book was writter by Gaiman - but then someone on this forum (think it was leto) said it was actually the other way round and Gaiman wrote the lighter parts of the book.

Should really read the book again though, maybe my opinion will change now that I'm a wee bit older. :D

I thought this book was hilarious, though I must agree that Gaiman has written better books (American God's, Neverwhere). Can't say it about Pratchett, because I haven't read any of his books yet. Started in one, but simply wasn't in the mood for his kind of humor.
In Good Omens, I loved the Four Bikers of the Apocalyps, but the relation between Crowley and Aziraphale I liked best!

Green said:
I think it's massively overrated. I thought it was ok, at best. Pratchett and Gaiman have both done better stuff alone.

I'd agree with that, but nonetheless Good Omens was a funny, entertaining book, even if it isn't a masterpiece.

I agree that both Gaiman and Pratchett have done far better work on their own, but as a collaboration Good Omens is a wonderful read.

I personally loved it and have read it several times, especially when feeling a little down as it never fail to have me laughing again. Besides, it provided me with the perfect name for my very sinister black cat. He's Aziraphael now and seems happy with the name.

My favourite characters would be Crowley and Aziraphael ... and the idea that we really have time for tea.
;)

i dislike it. i was told to read it beacuse im not a fan of prachett, but i love neil gaimon, and was told this would get me into prachett. it didn't. it's just not my sort of humour in the slightest. my dad probably loves it tho.

I rmember reading it a few years ago and found it something of a slog - I don't remember finding much of it funny. Would it be fair to say the book was quite a departure for Pratchett in terms of humour?

I think it's fair to say it doesn't roll along at breakneck pace like a lot of TP's novels. The tone is more considered and the humour is more subtle & situational rather than outright parody.
I've always considered it more a Neil Gaiman book than a Terry Pratchett one, personally :)

I thought this book was great fun! Think there was some rumour about it being made into a movie a while back as well, with Terry Gilliam as the director? That would have been great fun, but it didn't happen. :(

This is one of my favorite books as well. I'm a fan of both authors and it was fun to pick apart which sections were done by which authors.

terry gilliam might have made it more bareable for me (as a movie) cos i LOVE his stuff! i dont' think i've seen a bad terry gilliam movie :)

there are a lot of, this might happen, as a film that still hasn't. like the death movie. i want that! prefer teh sandman movie but could live with death (tho i still fear the sudden influx of young goths trying to imitate her, or even older goths, the way that they did after pirates of caribian came out. should have seen the johnny depp lookalikes at the first whitby after the first movie. hoping to see more this october)
sorry, taht went off in a tangent! anywya, film would have been good, even tho i hate the book, cos gilliam is great, so that is ashame :)

I was at the Discworld con last month and I picked up the German edition of it in p/back with the Josh Kirby cover it's great with 3 Bikers and 1 scooterist of the Apocalypse and Crowley in the Bentley,Just come back from Fantasycon and Neil was one of the GOH's so I got it signed, he also gave a talk on how they managed to each write their parts of it, without meeting up and outdoing each other for the best jokes,and also both rewriting parts of the others chapters that was hilarious.:) :D

I read it a few years ago and loved it. It's one of the books I'd like to re read. I lent it to quite a few friends wishing them to share my joy unfortunately as it always happens it got lost in the end. Must get a new copy.

Is it overated? I don't know, never heard anyone call it a 'masterpiece'. But it's a good book. It is, well, darker and wackier than Pratchett; lighter and funnier than Gaiman. Indeed it's amazing how the two co write, something like you write one chapter and I do the next? It must be a fun thing to do. I thought I recognized the different signatures in some passages. The mix of two types of wit and humor (though they are not too far apart) produced something quite entertaining.

There were even rumors about the film and Johny Depp as Crowley and Robin Williams Aziraphale (the best cast in my opinion). But the rumor died down and nothing happened.

Jonny Depp would have been a perfect Crowley. Shame.
Good Omens really didn't seem like either writer to me. It just goes to show that the ingredients in the pot don't always tell you what will come out.
Actually, I enjoyed the interviews at the end of the book (I have a later edition) almost more than I enjoyed the story, which is unusual.
My favourite character was War. She was one kick-a** woman. Death was funny too, but Crowley / Crawly was so cute. The alternate / extended Creation Story was my favourite bit, that and the Bibles. Lol.

I love Good Omens, it's one of my 'read it when you're down' books.

I think the best bit is when the disembodied Aziraphale takes over the TV evangelist; "rivers of BLURD"... or possibly the line: "No I'm not, I'm People Covered In Fish."

It's not as dark and weird as Neverwhere, and not as morality tale-ish as most Prathcett stuff, but it's a nice brain candy read for a gloomy day.

Incidentally, I'd love to be Anathema, she rocks!

I seem to be in a minority in that I thought it was better than either author has done on their own - I like Gaiman, but find him a bit light compared to Pratchett. That sounds paradoxical, but there's so much between the lines in Pratchett whereas if Gaiman is dark, it's all there.

One to read again - and Gillam? - good choice