Fantasy Recommendations for the Unenlightened 2

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
Merlin's Ring by H. Warner Munn an underrated classic (y)

The Lost Continent by C J Cutcliffe Hynd written 1899. it was the first fantasy novel sealing with Atlantis. In terms of style it's very modern , like it was written today. The book is an excellent read. (y)

Woofdog2

Authors I’ve known of but currently investigating

1. Roger Zelazny Amber Series. Considered as a “classic” in this genre, from the late ‘60’s through to the 90's*. Considered a great of the genre.
2. Gene Wolfe- Book Of The New Sun duology. Considered by several critics as one of the best literary writers in modern America full stop never mind just fantasy. Definitely on my list of books to read. Also considered one of the greats of this genre. Maybe more SCI-FI than fantasy but apparently good stuff. Have also heard good things about the current duology Wizard Knight.
Zelazny could write in different voices/tones to such a degree that you wouldn't know it was the same author. there is a 6-volume collection of his short fiction out which is completely different (and I like it much better than) than amber.

Wolfe - I read all his published work for the first time this year and I agree, he is an excellent author. the Wizard Knight series is excellent. New sun series I actually reread a few months after first reading, which I have never done before. His narrative structure may drive a new reader (to his work) nuts at first, and dont get me started on the ending to A Soldier of Arete.

If you haven't read any Gene Wolfe, I cannot recommend him highly enough, with caveats such as above.

Other fantasy -
The Tower of Fear, glen cook. also dread empire series by same author.

Last edited:

Woofdog2

The Wizard Knight books are underappreciated.
I would say Wolfe is underappreciated more generally. I have no idea how I could be reading sci-fi/fantasy 30 years and only discover him this year. many of his books have left lasting impressions beyond what is normal for me.

All that said, I am a bit dismayed that Latro's story will very possibly have no resolution. Nothing I have seen anywhere suggests wolfe has been working on a 4th book, and his comments on it (if he writes another book, latro gets his memory back, but if not, no) were some times ago iirc.

Inari Writer

Wolfe - I read all his published work for the first time this year and I agree, he is an excellent author. the Wizard Knight series is excellent. New sun series I actually reread a few months after first reading, which I have never done before. His narrative structure may drive a new reader (to his work) nuts at first, and dont get me started on the ending to A Soldier of Arete.

If you haven't read any Gene Wolfe, I cannot recommend him highly enough, with caveats such as above.
Definitely agree that Wizard Knight is worth reading. It has the weight and heft of actual mythology. I'm tempted to go back and read it again someday because I'm sure that there's a lot of subtle details that slipped past me the first time.