Would you rate Tolkien as a writer?

Yeah, the odds of monkeys typing ENDLESSLY producing amazing literature are like a gazillion million trillion to one. But Tolkien did it in what 20 Years? That's partially why. in my book as well as reality, he was rated "Author of the Century."

P.S.
How do you get pics by your username?

Go to the User CP button on the brown bar below the ads, Remy - click on it, and when the sub-menu opens, click "edit avatar" and follow the instructions.:)

In my opinion, Tolkien was a genius whose greatest skill was the warmth and depth of his characters. It boggles my mind that there are so many fantasy fans out there who disagree.

De gustibus... that's what makes it interesting (and sometimes frustrating :rolleyes: ).....

A lot of folks that read the series late after having read other fantasy works seem to forget that Tolkien was writing in a different convention to what we are most familiar with these days. And in that same ilk, he was also writing to a much different and much broader audience. Fantasy writers today know their readership, and understand well that they can be subjective, snobby and somewhat stubborn when it comes to their genre; most of them simply write to this audience, and abide their readers by presenting them with the normal fantasy archetypes, unlike Tolkien who was writing a piece of literature for the world to read. In that respect Tolkien's style can come off as simple or minimalist by today's standards, but in itself there lays the genius. He never said to himself, “I’m going to write a fantasy novel” He said to himself he was going to write a story for people to read. There is a definable difference in that mentality.

My personal opinion is that it is rather unjust to weigh his work by our current standards, that and considering our tastes differ greatly from one another and as a whole from society as it was during the time of the Lord of the Rings' initial publication, it seems a rather unfair comparison.

I for one could care less whether he stacks up in literary prowess against anyone around today (or not, R.I.P. Gemmell), his stories are what matter and they are magical and worthy of praise. Any good story should be about the story, the prose should be adequate to deliver that story, but the story is what counts.

I see what you mean by Gemmell, he has a very special prose. That i get alittle dissapointed when i read the other so called great writers of todays fantasy writing "generic" prose. I hope to find someone with his own kind of prose like Gemmell.

Is Tolkien like that? I mean does he his own special prose that you see its him and not just one of the 1000 writers that have the same prose?

I see what you mean by Gemmell, he has a very special prose. That i get alittle dissapointed when i read the other so called great writers of todays fantasy writing "generic" prose. I hope to find someone with his own kind of prose like Gemmell.

Is Tolkien like that? I mean does he his own special prose that you see its him and not just one of the 1000 writers that have the same prose?

I'd say yes... but it's an older-fashioned prose. However, it's not a single type of prose, either, as he varies it according to his focus, whether it's on the hobbits, or the Elves, or Gondor, or the Rohirrim, he alters the prose subtly (and sometimes not-so-subtly) to reflect the experience. He was much more aware and in control of his prose than he's often given credit for, because he keeps things relatively simple and straightforward... but the shifts do reflect the alterations in the hobbits' own viewpoints as they grow through their experiences....

His prose was absolutely special -- often mimicked, never bettered.

I'd say yes... but it's an older-fashioned prose. However, it's not a single type of prose, either, as he varies it according to his focus, whether it's on the hobbits, or the Elves, or Gondor, or the Rohirrim, he alters the prose subtly (and sometimes not-so-subtly) to reflect the experience. He was much more aware and in control of his prose than he's often given credit for, because he keeps things relatively simple and straightforward... but the shifts do reflect the alterations in the hobbits' own viewpoints as they grow through their experiences....

Good to know. I have learned by now that there arent many with prose that impresses you alot. If Tolkien is like that then i look forward to reading him other than for his famous series.

I read REH and Conan for first time today and talk about old fashioned prose there ;) I liked it to death. He was very poetic prose and specially his allegory's. Had to reread them cause i was so impressed.

Going from a modern fantasy writer with a very generic prose to him is very strange.

Yes; Howard, when he was in that poetic mood, always made me think of the Eddaic poets... stark, tragic, yet sometimes bawdy... seemingly simple, but with some very powerful images, metaphors, and cadences there.

Incidentally, I vaguely recall reading an article on Tolkien a long time ago that mentioned he quite liked Howard's work when he read it as a young man....

" stark, tragic, yet sometimes bawdy... seemingly simple, but with some very powerful images, metaphors, and cadences there "

Well said. Every line he wrote about Conan in the story i read was full of powerful images that it was like watching Conan in a huge widescreen tv inside your brain :)

Despite his prose being oldish it painted much more clear and powerful images than 99% of fantasy writers i have read.

I admire a guy that other than writing a good story can write poetic prose.

Im becoming a prose fanboy :)

Heh good for you starting early.

Now i am going crazy thinking how many other writers with prose i would love have i missed and where do i found them.

There should be a recommendation thread for those writers only ;)

I love Tolkien's poetry and, as far as his descriptions, have you read the last few pages of "Flight to the Ford" or Tolkien's picture of Sam confronting Shelob or the first few pages of "The Battle of the Pelennor Fields"?

But, as much as I love Tolkien's poetry and his portrayals, his true genius goes much deeper. It is one thing to paint a great picture with words but quite another to sculpt those pictures to create a masterpiece that helps us to think critically and understand the deepest things of life.

Tolkien is one of those rare authors that speaks to heartfelt subjects beyond time and culture that will never stop moving and thrilling us. The truths in his works go beyond him and run deeper than even he intended or could understand. Because of this, I believe that Tolkien is one of the greatest writers of all time.

I don't think I have the attention span for his books, for details no one can beat Tolkien in my opinion, how he's worked it and worded it is definately unique to him. I've never managed to read his books but I do however find it easier to listen to them, I downloaded lord of the rings unabridged audio book and put it on my mp3 player to listen to.

I love Tolkien's poetry and, as far as his descriptions, have you read the last few pages of "Flight to the Ford" or Tolkien's picture of Sam confronting Shelob or the first few pages of "The Battle of the Pelennor Fields"?

But, as much as I love Tolkien's poetry and his portrayals, his true genius goes much deeper. It is one thing to paint a great picture with words but quite another to sculpt those pictures to create a masterpiece that helps us to think critically and understand the deepest things of life.

Tolkien is one of those rare authors that speaks to heartfelt subjects beyond time and culture that will never stop moving and thrilling us. The truths in his works go beyond him and run deeper than even he intended or could understand. Because of this, I believe that Tolkien is one of the greatest writers of all time.

Very well put. I could not agree more.

Actually, I rate Tokein well as a writer. True, he is not always great. The start of TLotR is slow, and I can skip the poetry. The trouble is, a lot of people count the simplicity of his prose against him, but it is actually a bonus. He was, after all, writing for children. He did not know, when he started, that the book was going to turn into a lengthy epic that might be daunting to a lot of children. So, naturally, he fell into a simplistic use of language. That's fine.

However, what I really want to say is that, whether he's good or bad, he is always passionate about language. Passion enlivens an author's writing, although it's usually passion for their subject or character. In Tolkein's case, it was language, and the world he created for his languages, and the history he created for the world. From that history he was able to snip bits out and craft into LotR. Craftsmanship is a handy thing to have as a writer, too.