BEST movie lines

Paige Turner

Just another busted robot
I know the meaning of life, but I can't tell you
Okay, we've seen corniest movie lines. How about your favourites—something really transcendant? Since it's my thread, I get to go first.

(the scene in Blade Runner where Roy and Leon go to see the genetic designer working in the cold room.)

GD: I made your eyes.
Roy: If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes.

Man, I love that line.

The Marx brothers films are full of them (esp. Groucho's witty quips)
From either Horse Feathers or Duck Soup:
"Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (and my fav. "Go, and never darken my towels again!" :p )

And as many corny/bad lines there are in the Star Wars prequels, the original trilogy has many good ones.

another Marx brothers one
"What's this?" (points at writing in contract)
"Just a standard Sanity Clause"
"Ha! You can-a fool-a me! There is no Sana-ty Clause"

or my personal favourite from Airplane
Roger Murdock(copilot) Flight 2-0-9'er, you are cleared for take-off.
Captain (Clarence) Oveur: Roger!
Roger Murdock: Huh?
Tower voice: L.A. departure frequency, 123 point 9'er.
Captain Oveur: Roger!
Victor Basta(radioman) Request vector, over.
Captain Oveur: What?
Tower voice: Flight 2-0-9'er cleared for vector 324.
Roger Murdock: We have clearance, Clarence.
Captain Oveur: Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?
Tower voice: Tower's radio clearance, over!
Captain Oveur: That's Clarence Oveur. Over.
Tower voice: Over.
Captain Oveur: Roger.
Tower voice: Roger, over!
Roger Murdock: What?
Captain Oveur: Huh?
Victor Basta: Who?

sheer genius...

That was the day he was given the
name One Shot and since then he has
killed over fifty outlaws in over
thirty western towns.

from firefox

an old western with clint eastwood i beleive . i havent seen it in forever.​

'And how can this be?....cause he is the quizaads Hadderack!!!!
Dune. Fank Herbert

Certainly nothing Transcendant here but...

It's 106 miles to Chicago... we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses." "Hit it." -The Blue's Brothers.

Listen up you primitive screwheads. This is my......BOOMSTICK!!!!! -Army of Darkness... Ok so that one probably fits in the previous category :D

Inigo Montoya: You are sure nobody's follow' us?
Vizzini: As I told you, it would be absolutely, totally, and in all other ways inconceivable. No one in Guilder knows what we've done, and no one in Florin could have gotten here so fast. - Out of curiosity, why do you ask?
Inigo Montoya: No reason. It's only... I just happened to look behind us and something is there.
Vizzini: What? Probably some local fisherman, out for a pleasure cruise, at night... in... eel-infested waters...
Vizzini: INCONCEIVABLE.
[In the boat in the morning]
Inigo Montoya: He's right on top of us. I wonder if he is using the same wind we are using. [Vizzini has just cut the rope The Dread Pirate Roberts is climbing up]
Vizzini: HE DIDN'T FALL? INCONCEIVABLE.
Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
-The Princess Bride

We're gonna need a bigger boat - Jaws

And any number of quotes from Pulp Fiction.

Little Big Man

Jack Crabb (Dustin Hoffman):

'Mr. Merriwhether, you don't know when you're licked!'

Allardyce T. Merriwhether(Martin Balsam):

'Licked? I'm not licked. I'm tarred and feathered, that's all'.

Leon

Stansfield (Gary Oldman):

'I
like these calm little moments before the storm. It reminds me of Beethoven. Can you hear it? It's like when you put your head to the grass and you can hear the growin' and you can hear the insects. Do you like Beethoven?'

Wallace and Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

Wallace (Peter Sallis):

'Burrowing bounders! They must be breeding like... well, rabbits'.

And finally....

The Shawshank Redemption

Red (Morgan Freeman):

'I find I'm so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend, and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.'

The Lion in Winter by William Goldman

Geoffrey: "I know. You know I know. I know you know I know. We know Henry knows and Henry knows it. We're a very knowledgeable family."

Prince Richard: "If you're prince there's hope for every ape in Africa."

Eleanor: "I could peel you like a pear and God Himself would call it juustice."

Lawrence of Arabia by Robert Bolt

Prince Faisal: "With Major Lawrence mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable."

Jackson Bentley: "You answered without saying anything. That's politics!"

T.E. Lawrence: "Nothing is written."

Doctor Zhivago
by Robert Bolt

Komorovsky: "There are two kinds of men and only two. And that young man is one kind. He is high-minded. He is pure. He's the type of man people pretend to look up to, but, in fact, despises."

Zhivago: "Your point. Their village."

Curt Chiarelli said:
The Lion in Winter by William Goldman

Geoffrey: "I know. You know I know. I know you know I know. We know Henry knows and Henry knows it. We're a very knowledgeable family."

Prince Richard: "If you're prince there's hope for every ape in Africa."

Eleanor: "I could peel you like a pear and God Himself would call it juustice."

I've always quite liked that one, Curt. Brilliant lines, brilliant film.

littlemissattitude said:

I've always imagined that the perfect tagline for this film would have been: "Spend your Holiday Season with the Plantagenet family. You'll be sorry you did!"

Yes, and that screenplay by William Goldman just revels in the English language, doesn't it? One of those ageless films where all the elements are in perfect harmony with each other.

How about listing some of your favourites?

"I've come here to kick ass and chew bubble gum......and I'm all out of bubblegum" They Live

So good that they even used this line in Duke Nukem 3D:D

Here are a few I quite like. None of them are particulary profound, but I treasure them all:

There was a demon that lived in the air. They said whoever challenged him would die. Their controls would freeze up, their planes would buffet wildly, and they would disintegrate. The demon lived at Mach 1 on the meter, seven hundred and fifty miles an hour, where the air could no longer move out of the way. He lived behind a barrier through which they said no man could ever pass. They called it the sound barrier. --The Right Stuff, 1983
That's from the very beginning of the film, and there's something elegant about it, I think. I very rarely find words I wish I had written, but I wish I had written those, because they are perfect to their purpose.

The next one is from Bull Durham (1988), and is really kind of goofy, but I think there's something really true that goes beyond the immediate issue:

Crash Davis: Your shower shoes have fungus on them. You'll never make it to the bigs with fungus on your shower shoes. Think classy, you'll be classy. If you win 20 in the show, you can let the fungus grow back and the press'll think you're colorful. Until you win 20 in the show, however, it means you are a slob.
The Big Chill (1983)has its good points and its bad points, but I really like this exchange:

Michael: I don't know anyone who could get through the day without two or three juicy rationalizations. They're more important than sex.
Sam Weber: Ah, come on. Nothing's more important than sex.
Michael: Oh yeah? Ever gone a week without a rationalization?

Anyone who has ever worked with "the public" will recognize the next one, because they will have said something similar, probably repeatedly. It is from Empire Records (1995):

Mark: Empire Records, open 'til midnight, this is Mark.
[pause]
Mark: Midnight.

littlemissattitude said:
Here are a few I quite like. None of them are particulary profound, but I treasure them all:

That's from the very beginning of the film, and there's something elegant about it, I think. I very rarely find words I wish I had written, but I wish I had written those, because they are perfect to their purpose.

The next one is from Bull Durham (1988), and is really kind of goofy, but I think there's something really true that goes beyond the immediate issue:

The Big Chill (1983)has its good points and its bad points, but I really like this exchange:

Anyone who has ever worked with "the public" will recognize the next one, because they will have said something similar, probably repeatedly. It is from Empire Records (1995):

I love The Right Stuff! One of my all-time favourites and probably the last film Hollywood ever made that was of truly epic proportions (I don't consider L.O.T.R. a "Hollywood" product, it has more of an independent flavour to it, in my opinion).

That opening voice over has a certain rough grandeur to it that perfectly captures the spirit of those test pilots. Great memories and wonderful stuff!

As for the other films, I must confess ignorance, because I've never seen them! But they're now on my long "to-see" list!

"When you need to shoot, shoot. Don't talk." Tuco, right after he shoots a chatty would-be assassin in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

littlemissattitude said:

I second that. Brilliant movie.

"Right now you're leading but two things; Jack and **** and Jack just left town."

- Another one from Army of Darkness. Love that line :)

"Bluto's right, psychotic, but absolutely right. We gotta take these bastards. Now, we could fight 'em with conventional weapons, that could take years, and cost millions of lives. No, in this case, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture, be done on somebody's part."

- Animal House. Another classic.

Ripley "This thing bled acid, who knows what it's gonna do when it's dead."
Ash "I think it's safe to assume it isn't a zombie."

- Alien :D

"Let me explain something to you. I am not Mr. Lebowski. You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So, that's what you call me. You know, that, or his dudeness, or duder, or el duderino, if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

- The Big Lebowski

Eddie Lee "Anybody who showed up was going to join Lim Lee in the Hell of Being Cut to Pieces."
Jack Burton "Hell of what?"
Eddie Lee "Chinese have a lot of hells."

- Big Trouble in Little China

"
What did you expect? "Welcome sonny," "Make yourself at home," "Marry my daughter." You've got to remember, that these are just simple farmers, these are people of the land, the common clay of the new west. You know . . . morons."
- Blazing Saddles - hilarious

Pirates of the Caribbean:)

Mr Gibbs:
'Curse you for breathin' ya slack-jawed idiot. Jack. Mother's love. You should know it's bad luck to wake a man when he's sleeping'.

Jack Sparrow:
'Fortunately, I know how to counter it; the man who did the waking buys the man who was sleeping a drink; the man who was sleeping drinks it while listening to a proposition from a man who did the waking'.

Mr. Gibbs:
'Aye, that'll about do it'.

[Will throws more water on Mr. Gibbs]

Mr. Gibbs: 'Blast I'm already awake'.

Will Turner: 'That was for the smell'.

Charlie and The Chocolate Factory

Mike Teavee:

'Who wants a beard'?

Willy Wonka:

'Well, beatniks for one, folk singers and motorbike riders. Y'know. All those hip, jazzy, super cool, neat, keen, and groovy cats. It's in the fridge, daddy-o! Are you hip to the jive? Can you dig what I'm layin' down? I knew that you could. Slide me some skin, soul brother!'

Austin Powers - Internation Man of Mystery

Alotta Fagina:

How dare you break wind before me

Austin Powers:

I'm sorry I didn't realize it was your turn

Storm of the century (not technically a movie but still a great line)

Andre Linoge:

Give me what I want, AND I'LL GO AWAY.

:):p:)