**SPOILERS** Post Crown of Stars - views and such like....

Lacedaemonian

A Plume of Smoke
Well I have finally completed Crown of Stars and was deeply satisfied with the way the story drew to a close. The Epilogue was perfect, and was beautifully sentimental without being saccharin. The fantasy genre suffers huge closure issues with most authors clearly not being able to kill off their 'babies'. Kate nailed this for me. The combination of happy, dull and bad endings for all of the characters meant that we were not fobbed off with a overly happy and neat ending, nor were we dealt a quick and sudden finale as some huge fantasy sagas deliver.

The world that she created was perfect in that it did not try to make all of it's peoples so different that you were left feeling that the world did not quite fit. Even the Eika fitted in neatly to this world.

All of the characters were very detailed and unique from each other. I particularly liked the way each character responded differently to circumstances, each displaying different levels of emotion. I was however, sceptical of the characterisation of Liath. Perhaps she was meant to be portrayed this way. A vague socially detached young woman with very little empathy for anybody. She came good in the end though.

Alain was the big question. What were his origins etc? What was his destiny? I think I realised after the first cataclysm that his origins were not special and that his destiny was to be a prophet. Of course he is more than this... I will return to Alain once I have collected my thoughts.

Here are my thoughts taken from the other thread...

The concluding book of this intriquing series, book 7, The Crown of Stars brings together beloved and much hated characters to a final conclusion. Kate is a very sublte writer, clever in many ways and depending upon your perspective and how you want to interupt the information provided, all questions are answered. Each character who we have seen on this journey comes to a final point where we know of their future. While the future of many changes there are those whose lives that are left to the imagination, not so easily spelled out but I would think it would go against Kate's very style of writing to expose all .
Following the tradition of her other books, Kate concludes this story with one final battle with the Lady of Battles present with sword in hand. The true nature of many popular and not so popular characters are made in this book and many come to abrupt ends. Set in the medival times, she doesn't hold back from reality of war and the aftermath.
The politics for the crown of Varre and Wendar becomes an important key in this story, but it was also an important subject in the whole series too. Yet in the conclusion of this story comes an interesting twist, one might conclude as a happy ending for all parties involved.
The hertic religion came into play on many different levels but didn't seem to play a major role as it had done before in the books preceeding this one. The tone of the religion seem to be more in a determination to find the King of Wendar. I talk as if it were a person, even though it wasn't one person, rather a group of people, all those involved seem to move toward the last and final battle.
This book is a true extention of In The Ruins carrying on the story of all the main characters coming together to solve all the issues, great or small. Kate did a wonderful job concluding this story, in my opinion. I look forward to reading the young adult book that is suppose to be set 300 years in the future of this same world with Lavastine very much alive.

Alain was the big question. What were his origins etc? What was his destiny? I think I realised after the first cataclysm that his origins were not special and that his destiny was to be a prophet. Of course he is more than this... I will return to Alain once I have collected my thoughts.

I have come to the conclusion that Alain is one of those characters that is left for us to debate. We will never know his true orgins nor who his father is. Yet we can speculate. I had a strange feeling that In The Ruins we would never be told directly what magical powers the man possessed nor would we know of his hertiage.

Lace, I feel much the same way you did... Alain was something I had to stew on for a while before I drew a conclusion.

I had a feeling that he was Liath's brother. ie Bernard's son. That was my earliest prediction on Alain. I still think that Kate was contemplating this issue right up until the Ruins. Alain is powerfully magic. Sorganti states he has a far greater power than her. The Epilogue states he combats other enemies of the 'light'. Perhaps he is also 'a lady of...'. A powerful force that moves through people.

I'm still leaning toward Rose being raped by the shaded Aoi even though it has never happen before. Alain is the child of some magical force. What it is I don't know, but I won't think Bernard would qualify. Liath's magical properties come from her mother.

Which brings me to another question... Why doesn't Blessing show the same magical properties as her mother? I often thought that Blessing should be stronger then her mother.

What did you think of the connection made by Stronghand and Theo?

Alia said:
What did you think of the connection made by Stronghand and Theo?

I saw it coming and I was pleased with it. I always like Theophanu and I thought that she would make a great ruler, despite the fact that she didn't inspire loyalty to the extent that Sanglant did.

I love Theo. Stronghand and Theo are very similar 'people'. They are both very reasoned and intelligent. They both appear cold but have bigger hearts than anybody. To be honest the union did not work for me, though it was meant as a symbolic union with the purpose of bringing together their divided 'peoples'.

Blessing shows some magical abilities, she can speak any language. Also Liath did not come into her power until in her late teens. Blessing is only 4 years old or something.

Bernard was not without magical properties.

I still feel that Alain and Liath are related in some way.

Theo I'm glad she became regent, I think she was the most able even if she didn't inspire love or respect in her subjects.Making Stronghand co-regent was sheer genius, it forged a bond that will live on for generations and diverted a war.

Hugh he got what he deserved in the end, but part of me still wishes that he had died a slow and horrible death.

Alain, the suffering he endured was heart breaking, but he never became resentful or let his spirit be broken.He was a living saint.

Blessing shows some magical abilities, she can speak any language. Also Liath did not come into her power until in her late teens. Blessing is only 4 years old or something.
Was it ever said why Blessing grew so fast?

Hugh... I wish Liath had killed him.

Stronghand and Theo.. perfect match in my eyes. I love the way that Stronghand was attracted to her.

Ivar and Hanna was a mix I saw coming but hated to see. I didn't care for Ivar that much but I adored Hanna and saw a lot of her qualities in me (or the other way around). I would have loved to see her with one of the Lions that she was always with. I can't remember the exact one I liked the most.

Alia said:
Was it ever said why Blessing grew so fast?
She grew fast because of her connection to Liath. Liath was in a place where time was altered and it affected Blessing's growth.

I think Blessing wasn't gifted in a magical way. She took after her father more and didn't have the attention span or the quick-mindedness that was necessary for the type of magic that Liath practiced.
Alia said:
Ivar and Hanna was a mix I saw coming but hated to see. I didn't care for Ivar that much but I adored Hanna and saw a lot of her qualities in me (or the other way around). I would have loved to see her with one of the Lions that she was always with. I can't remember the exact one I liked the most.

I wasn't overjoyed that Hanna and Ivar ended up together, but I thought it was fitting. They were from similar roots and both needed peace in their lives, which they found in each other. Ivar reminds Hanna of a time when she was innocent and had not experienced so many horrors.

She grew fast because of her connection to Liath. Liath was in a place where time was altered and it affected Blessing's growth.

I think Blessing wasn't gifted in a magical way. She took after her father more and didn't have the attention span or the quick-mindedness that was necessary for the type of magic that Liath practiced.
I see the Blessing and Liath connection now, thank you Arya. And your right about Blessing's impatience. :)

Blessing was fairly annoying. I am trying to recall the scene where she is being kidnapped in the boat. Does she not perform some magic or other there?

The Epilogue was a fine touch. I am still very much pleased with it.

It is interesting. Though can Sanglant understand all languages. Only Blessing can understand the Mer people.

I thought they could understand all languages... Maybe not. I know they understood the language of the diamones and the language of their people.