Silence Leigh

chrispenycate

resident pedantissimo
Staff member
Supporter
The Silence Leigh trilogy Melissa Scott www.pointsman.net/mpage/mainpage.html
(sneaky trick, I’m going to try adding websites when I can find them so people can get the information on anything that interests them)

Science fiction? Fleets of spaceships outrace light across interstellar space, or meet in conflict above inhabited planets. Fantasy? These ships are run on alchemical principles, philosophers tincture allows them to tune to the harmony of the spheres, the symbol is the object and the map is the territory.

A powerfully phallocratic civilisation, women forced to wear veils when allowed out of purdah, no female to own property (including herself) and getting worse as the Hegemony conquers ever more of the independent planets, technology firmly in the hands of the exclusively male magi – things do not good for Silence Leigh, space pilot and (shock) woman. This trilogy is her story – the others, even her husbands or the magus Isambard, are sketched in, less important than the tarot based navigation system, but she is a strong enough character to carry it.

I’ve tried several other books from this author, but none of them gave me the satisfaction that this (one of her earlier works) did.

chrispenycate said:
The Silence Leigh trilogy Melissa Scott www.pointsman.net/mpage/mainpage.html
(sneaky trick, I’m going to try adding websites when I can find them so people can get the information on anything that interests them)

Science fiction? Fleets of spaceships outrace light across interstellar space, or meet in conflict above inhabited planets. Fantasy? These ships are run on alchemical principles, philosophers tincture allows them to tune to the harmony of the spheres, the symbol is the object and the map is the territory.

A powerfully phallocratic civilisation, women forced to wear veils when allowed out of purdah, no female to own property (including herself) and getting worse as the Hegemony conquers ever more of the independent planets, technology firmly in the hands of the exclusively male magi – things do not good for Silence Leigh, space pilot and (shock) woman. This trilogy is her story – the others, even her husbands or the magus Isambard, are sketched in, less important than the tarot based navigation system, but she is a strong enough character to carry it.

I’ve tried several other books from this author, but none of them gave me the satisfaction that this (one of her earlier works) did.

Read them and loved them. Agree with you on most of her other books. However, she did write some with Melissa Barnett that were magical historicals around the time of Elizabeth I. Those were pretty good. Can't remember their names offhand. Could go look them up, I suppose if anybody is interested.

I would be very interested in those magical historicals if you wouldn't mind murphy?

Many thanks :)

Ada
xx

It's Melissa Scott & Lisa Barnett. The titles of the 2 books I have are: Point of Hopes and Armor of Light. Published by Tor. They might be out of print, I'm not sure

There's another one I don't have. It's called Point of Dreams and is a sequel to Point of Hopes. It's out of print, but Barnes and Noble has it listed in their out-of-print book section. You can get a new copy from a closeout firm for $1.99 U.S. Of course, then there is postage. You could try Amazon and see what they have.

Count me as another who is definitely interested in these books. Thanks, Chris.:)

I was especially interested to read her explanation on her site of why she writes in the genre, by the way.

Sounds good, maybe it's another example of a science fantasy?

I've never heard of these books or that author before so maybe I'll check it out...