HELP!!! - I've read every Gemmell book!

Brys said:
I'm sorry, but why haven't I seen the name Fritz Leiber mentioned? Or Jack Vance? How can we even talk about the Sword and Sorcery subgenre when two of the three "founders" for lack of better word, aren't even mentioned (the other of course being Robert Howard).
I have to admit, I haven't yet read Howard (he's on my shelf, for when I feel like more sword and sorcery novels), but I no longer read much Gemmell because IMO he simply can't compare to Leiber or Vance.
I personally didn't mention either of the above authors because I didn't think that a fan of Gemmell would automatically dig these guys. Both Leiber and Vance have a much more flowery, romantic style as opposed to the 'blood n thunder' action of Howard, Gemmell, Wagner etc. In Vance's case often the imagery, the setting, take centerstage to the action. Certainly both pillars of the S&S genre and of fantasy in general.

On a side note, the third volume of the Del Rey Conan collections "The Conquering Sword of Conan" is out now.

Robin Hobb is a must, the Farseer trilogy and the tawny man trilogy. Amazing, blew me away. Another although not fantasy is Steven Pressfields 'gates of fire' about the battle of thermopolae (excuse spelling). brilliant, gemmell says so himself. Ive only a few gemmell books left to read. Iron hands daughter series is it,the jon shannow books and the stones of power. I look forward to reading them, when i have time.

Another essential series I forgot to mention:
Elric by Michael Moorcock - one of the staple series when talking about Sword and Sorcery, and having just finished Stormbringer its reminded me of why its such a good series.

i just bought 15 gemmel books on ebay for £26 inc delivery.
how good is that!!! i got all the drenai books apart from legend which i already have plus more, and they look like the spines are hardly broken.

jacko said:
howz about stephen donaldson

Stephen Donaldson's a very good author, but he has very few similarities to Gemmell. Donaldson's novels tend to be slow moving and about complex pyschological/physical problems and character development, with the action in them being put to the background. Gemmell's are pretty much the opposite - very fast paced, very little description and all about the action, with a few "heroic" characters.

I know Eddings is pretty formula a lot of the time, but I started off reading only Gemmell and then moved on to Eddings. It was an easy transition. Although it's less... brutal than a lot of Gemmell...

$pikes said:
Gemmell is by far my favorite author. Please post other authors and series suggestions that are as good as David is. I've just finished reading every one of Gemmell's books and need some advice!

Thanks much!
David Gemmell writing as Ross Harding, Black Knight White Swan. I am probably sending coals to Newcastle telling you this, though the book is out of print and I have been unable to get a second-hand copy to read. People I have corresponded with say it is as compelling as Mr. Gemmells other book, though set in modern history. Reportedly to be based on this Step-father, Bill, and, I believe, shows and insight into the developing and character of Mr. Gemmel himself. Should you ever come across the book or know where it might be obtained I should be grateful. If you also know how "Druss" is pronounced, as according to Mr. Gemmell, I should be gratefully.
Mr. Fiests novels, as replied by a member, are good, as long as the you skip the first, which, in a personal opinion only, had I read first I would not have read any-more. Conan book, although written long ago, by Robert E. Howard, (beware of imitations!) have the same sense of human fragility within the heroes.
Hoping that somewhere in this drivel is a nugget you may find,
Regards,
Kristine cairnsbythesea

Brys said:
I'm sorry, but why haven't I seen the name Fritz Leiber mentioned? Or Jack Vance? How can we even talk about the Sword and Sorcery subgenre when two of the three "founders" for lack of better word, aren't even mentioned (the other of course being Robert Howard).
I have to admit, I haven't yet read Howard (he's on my shelf, for when I feel like more sword and sorcery novels), but I no longer read much Gemmell because IMO he simply can't compare to Leiber or Vance.
Are you over 15years old? I'm not being sarcastic, simply wondering if you have not been a reader for very long. If you are a long-time reader, please accept my appologise if I have offended you, it was not my intention. We all differ, which is why there are so many great books out there

$pikes said:
Gemmell is by far my favorite author. Please post other authors and series suggestions that are as good as David is. I've just finished reading every one of Gemmell's books and need some advice!

Thanks much!
roger jon ellory. A quiet vendetta. english author. Chapter 1 & 2 need to be got through, skipping excessive descriptive passage, (personal belief. Bad editing.) though picking out the characters concerned. Persevere till the main character enters the police station to give himself up. This is a casually brutal violent book. or is it? the perspective of the person that is relating at a particular time, will, I believe, lead you to question that first assumption. It is not within your fantasy gendre, though I believe you might find it compelling. The type of characters are simple placed in a different time and place

Regards Kristine

cairnsbythesea

Gardens of the Moon is a really tough read to begin with as you're dropped into the thick of the action with multiple characters, new magic 'rules' which aren't explained and it's all a little overwhelming at first.

I'm assured that it gets a lot easier to read and, in fairness, I'm on page 320 now and it's starting to flow a lot easier.

I haven't read any of his other works yet but I have got Deadhouse Gates (which is book 2) ready for when I finish this one.

You'll find Deadhouse Gate easier to get into as the first book explains most of the stuff you need to know. The rest of the series tends to flow after that and its good fun.

Other than that, depends what you really want to read, for example if youre after a heroic epic then Simon Scarrows Eagle books are pretty entertaining, as are Bernard Cornwells Grail Quest and Uhtred novels. If you want a Viking series then I can recommend Tim Severins trilogy. Other than that if you want fantasy then I recommend Steven Erikson as mentioned as well as Paul Kearney (currently reading the second book in his Sea Beggars series.)