Eddings now and forever

jerchar

Hello everyone,
I just registered, I would really like to find somebody who likes Eddings as much as I do, right now I am re-reading The Elenium, just finished the first book, it's even better than seeing a movie for the second time. Does anybody hate Sparhawk, I would like to hear what you think of him, women I think will almost find him perfect, whereas men.... I am very curious about your comments.

Hi jerchar, and welcome to the chronicles-network!

I'm afraid I've not read Eddings myself - I know some people who swear by him, and others who won't touch his work. Funnily enough, I was thinking about bringing up the topic of Eddings, so it's nice to see other people way ahead of me on this. :)

*afraid to reveal true feelings of Eddings because Jerchar is new*

So for now, I'll just say, HELLO there and welcome to the forums! You're my neighbor!!

Good monday,
First of all thank you for the welcome and for your replies. I can see that not everyone likes Eddings, I would really like to know what you do not like about him "Twelve", is it just the serie The Elenium? If you don't like Eddings which Sci-Fantasy do you actually like; let's see if I know him/her and if I already read books by this author. I would advise "I, Brian" to start with the Belgariade Saga, have you read it "12", I think one should let a chance to "I,Brian" to decide for himself if he likes or dislikes Eddings.
I must say they're a lot of traits in the Elenium that remind me of the Belgariade saga, but I liked it so much that it doesn't matter.
I have seen that "12" is located in Basel, funny thing, I work in Basel!!!!
So "I, Brian" start quickly book 1 of the Belgariade so we can compare our thoughts, and "12" let me know what you like to read.
Have a nice start of the week (very wet monday here)....
Jerchar
smile.gif

You work here in BASEL??? Cool stuff!

Alright, well, since you asked me about Eddings, I might as well let it out.

I've read the Belgariad, and I believe that this is Eddings' greatest work ever. He had detail, pacing, imagination, characterization...he controlled his sense of humor. I only thought that the last book of the Belgariad was mediocre, because he ripped off too much from the Bible.

Now, as for the Elenium...I couldn't read it. I tried...oh, how I tried. But you see, I believe Eddings began to get very lazy in his writing. He stopped describing things, and began to have overly long dialogues. He often used his dialogues to make up for his lack of descriptions, by having his character speak away major events that sould have been written out.

Too many jokes...too many of the same jokes over and over again. Eddings makes it very clear that he has a problem with organized religion and religious leaders...but he shouldn't feel the need to make a bad joke about it 300 times per book.

Nevertheless, I tried Eddings again with his "The Redemption of Althalus". That book was such a poor example of fantasy that I'm not through with Eddings.

I believe Eddings is popular now only because he has a faithful fanbase...but I think that he is one of the least talented fantasy writers today.

Well, there it is, Jerchar.

Hi Jerchar - Heh, it would be great to compare notes - though I'm quite a merciless critic! :)

Unfortunately, though, I can't read while I'm trying to write a novel, as I'm easily influenced by different styles of writings. At the moment I'm allowed to read parts of "Dune" because I'm writing in a very similar Third Person style. Aside from that, it's a reading fast.

I would have thought there would be other people who like the Belgariad around here - I'm sure they'll surface soon enough! Which reminds me, there's still a couple of people from "real life" I have to kidnap here. :)

Oh, I forgot to write about what I like to read...

Ummm...outside of the OTHERLAND series, I have much respect for Tad Williams' work.

I like Terry Brooks.

I have mixed feelings about George R.R. Martin.

I like R.A. Salvatore.

Like Michael Moorcock.

I like Robert Holdstock.

I also like to read historical fiction, mystery, military, and espionage books.

Good tuesday,
still very gray and wet here in Basel (I guess you know 12). So as I admitted in my previous reply, somethings are much alike in the Elenium and in the Belgariade (1 hit for you 12). I also have to admit that I tried to read Althalus too, by now it must be covered by dust, somewhere in the basement, I never could get further thand chapter 5 (2 hits for you 12) It looks like it's going to be a duel here. BUT Eddings is still one of my favorite fantasy writers. When you say that you've read the Belgariade, did you continue with the Malloreon? Another one of my favorite fantasy writer is Mercedes Lackey but here I think your opinion will even be worse than the one you have about Eddings. Well I can deal with it tomorrow when I'll read your reply, one negative critic to digest a day is enough; that's what I think is the best thing about a forum, I mean this forum, it questions your own opinions and ideas which you thought of course be the only right ones. Even if opinions don't converge they still open a wider horizon. So let me see what you can claim about Mercedes Lackey.
So now to you I,Brian, start to read the Belgariade so you can participate actively at our competition "sho's going to have the last word".... just joking

There's nothing wrong at all with liking David Eddings - he is and has been for some time one of the major pillars of the fantasy genre.

It's simply that there are different pillars around, and different people prefer different supports. If everyone who read fantasy completely agreed on which were the best authors then that would be a very sad comment on fantasy literature in general.

There's strength in diversity, and the fantasy genre is particularly diverse, from the ancient myth builders like Tolkien, to the modern myth builders like Neil Gaiman. In between - a whole colourful collective cast of major pillars - Robin Hobb, Raymond E Feist, Robert Jordan, Stephen Donaldson, Terry Brooks, Anne McCaffrey, Katherine Kerr, Ursual Le Guinn, Michael Moorcock...not to mention many many more - each of them very different.

Fantasy thrives on diversity - as do we at this site. I don't believe that Twelve is duelling with you - that implies a battle to be won. You are merely exchanges opinions, ideas, and thoughts on your personal preferences - nothing more. That's what we do here - that's what fantasy and sci-fi forums such as the chronicles-network are all about. We do so so as to share our experiences as readers and as human beings. There's no battle implied. :)

Please don't get me wrong, I said that I was open to all opinions even if they don't match mine _ that's all the thrill.

By the way did you see my suggestion for your next baby.
Few seconds later....
sorry I had to check if the baby was scheduled for you I, Brian or for Brian (still get mixed up).

No problem - what I was actually doing above was worrying that you were offended by Twelve not liking David Eddings - so I was trying to diffuse any possible tension with a diplomatic speech!

Glad to see you're fine with disagreement - it's so hard to read intentions and expression with mere words alone. :)

jerchar said:
Good tuesday,
still very gray and wet here in Basel (I guess you know 12). So as I admitted in my previous reply, somethings are much alike in the Elenium and in the Belgariade (1 hit for you 12). I also have to admit that I tried to read Althalus too, by now it must be covered by dust, somewhere in the basement, I never could get further thand chapter 5 (2 hits for you 12) It looks like it's going to be a duel here. BUT Eddings is still one of my favorite fantasy writers. When you say that you've read the Belgariade, did you continue with the Malloreon? Another one of my favorite fantasy writer is Mercedes Lackey but here I think your opinion will even be worse than the one you have about Eddings. Well I can deal with it tomorrow when I'll read your reply, one negative critic to digest a day is enough; that's what I think is the best thing about a forum, I mean this forum, it questions your own opinions and ideas which you thought of course be the only right ones. Even if opinions don't converge they still open a wider horizon. So let me see what you can claim about Mercedes Lackey.
So now to you I,Brian, start to read the Belgariade so you can participate actively at our competition "sho's going to have the last word".... just joking
While there is a certain sense of dueling in a discussion, a verbal dueling that I quite enjoy, I never take it seriously. I'm part of MANY forums, and there are times when people take offense to my words, but I never intend to offend anybody. However, I do enjoy it when somebody gives a a difficult time in a debate...when somebody "hits" me as you write here. But I never want you to think that I'm "hitting" you personally...no way! Heck, you're a fellow Basler!!

(Oder soll ich sagen, Sie sind eine fellow BaslerIN???!!)
(And I love rainy weather...another rainy day today, it seems.)

Look, I respect any writer who can make it big like Eddings. His Belgariad set the standard and style for many, many writers to come. I just read the Belgariad last year, and I was amazed about how familiar it sounded. This is because many writers have COPIED him now. Eddings is a legend in his own right...he has accomplished much and his fanbase is earned.

I just personally don't appreciate his style. I like humor in my books, but not TOO much. I like description in my books. I don't like too much dialogue. That's why I tend to lean towards Terry Brooks, or Tad Williams, or Robert Jordan(though my respect for Jordan has dwindled).

On the other hand, there are people who like humor, who think that a load of dialogue is great, and who hate descriptions. I've met all of those types.

I've not gotten into the Malloreon, and I'm also sad to say that I haven't gotten into Lackey yet either. I'll get around to it, I suppose. I'm currently going through a George R.R. Martin phase.

So I guess we can close the chapter Eddings. I am reorganizing my bookshelves and I am just surprised at how many books written by Eddings I have; well now that I've reorganized and sorted out some books that I might sell in a yard sale I have plenty of room for new books, so this afternoon as I don't have much work I'll go surfing in the net and order some books.
biggrin.gif

I have read all of Eddings fantasy works bar his recent two, which I own. I enjoyed all of his books when i read them several years ago (12 years ago Pete...remember you are 25 not 20..). I remember Sparhawk being a miserable bugger. The two prequels to the Begariad/Malloreon are his best books.

I expect something more from fantasy these days. Also David Eddings says some ludicrous things in the Rivan Codex, which have since made me think of him in a bad light.

I have to admit that the online search for a David Eddings fandom led me to this wonderful forum. And since I'm now here, I can just go ahead and share my opinion with you.

The first works of Eddings that I read was the Elenium. Up until now it's together with the Tamuli my favourite as far as David Eddings goes. I just adore Aphrael. Sparhawk is in my opinion a poor bugger, because he has to deal with Ehlana who's kinda stubborn and Aphrael. Come on, having a goddess for a daughter can't be easy, especially if she's as whimsical as Aphrael.

After that, I read Althalus and was a bit disappointed. There were some good ideas there, but the book just didn't do it for me.

These days, I've also read the Belgariad and have just started with the Malloreon. These are far better than Althalus, but Elenium/Tamuli remain my favourites.

David Eddings is, in my opinion, an easy, entertaining read. I had a lot more trouble reading Tad Williams. Well, not actually trouble, but it took me far longer than all the Eddings books I've read so far. Williams goes, I think, deeper and has more complex story lines.

But Eddings will always be a fun read for me. A bit relaxing and entertaining. To throw in between a bit of Tolkien, Williams, etc.

I read a few books, or the beginnings of some of them, from the Belgariad series. I found them to be very samey and not very full of any interesting ideas... but maybe I read the wrong ones?

Yes, the Belgariad starts very slow. I remember that I was a bit afraid after having read the beginning of its first book that I wouldn't really like the book. The Belgariad will never be one of my favourites, but it is a little fun read.

Maybe, Esioul, you should try the Elenium. I liked it much better and I think it got going a bit faster. I liked its characters very much. They have their quirks and faults and I think these books quite humerous.

I liked especially the very different religions of the Elenium world. And the way the gods were depicted. I don't know if you'll like them, too. But if a library near you has the Elenium it couln't hurt to try. Right?

i love eddings and i agree that athalus sucks but the garion and sparhawk books are still cool george r.r martin and david gemmell are the best

Hi there.:)
Nice choice for a name, Tyrion is one of my favorite characters in the Song of Ice and Fire series.;) Glad you found us.

Don't worry, I am also an Eddings fan, although not of the Althulus and that odd one about the twins (which I still cannot remember the title of) But I am looking forward to his new series!!!!
VERY much.
Sorry, I did like Sparhawk though. But I am a girl, maybe that does explain it. Maybe I can redeam myself by admitting that I like Kalten even better?:p